You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What do you make of this?

Code

What the fuck is this about? I'm completely lost, I don't get whatever point is being made here.

Hehe I read a couple of weeks ago about problems in Norway with the youth development and how around 70-80% of the players selected for Norway were born in the first 6 months of the year.

I thought I should see how it worked out for us and my theory was that it would be far more balanced since we can buy players form all over the world and pick the best out there, but still the trend goes towards players born in the first 6 months of the year.

Another thing I have picked up on looking at a few teams is that among the players born in the last months of the year there are many defenders.

Are there logical reasons for this or is it coincidence, will the youngest players be picked last and put in defense when growing up or what is it?

Thats basically it Dave, the advantage of being among the oldest kids and earlier developed than those born later in the year gives you a better chance to succeed as a footballer.

• Upvote 1

Another thing I have picked up on looking at a few teams is that among the players born in the last months of the year there are many defenders.

Are there logical reasons for this or is it coincidence, will the youngest players be picked last and put in defense when growing up or what is it?

I think it's probably the opposite, in the UK at least, a child born on 1st Sept will be the oldest in his school year, whereas a child born the day before will have been the youngest of the previous years intake. Therefore those born toward the end of the year will be the oldest and most developed amongst their peers.

It's not just in football, in academic life being born at the end of the school year puts you at a disadvantage too.

Fat Sam loved delving into all this shit apparently. Had his people trying all sorts of new ideas when picking up kids for the youth sides. Those that hadn't had growth spurts yet (but were still coping) were ones they really looked for.

[YOUTUBE]HZklwTGZutc[/YOUTUBE]

'Leo. My name is Paul. I like all women of the world...'

I always wondered about Charles though.

I love the way they walk off at the end. Imagine saying to your mates in the pub, "I'm just off for a piss. Hold my pint for me" and then walking off to the bog like that.

Good observation. Yeah you are disadvantaged as a child if you were born towards the end of the year.

It might also got to do with zodiac signs and the characteristics or something. For example Aries are quite agressive so they might be good footballers but should be careful with cards and the refs. Have we got any Aries in the team? Leo are very dominant and stuff. So we may wanna look into it. Ferguson was born in December, we could look into getting a manager born during that month or even better find a Libra like Shankly. We should create an algorithm that calculates all this. What do you think? Clutching at straws here.

So is this a problem and if it is how can it be solved?

1. Brad Jones - 19/03

3. Jose Enrique - 23/01

7. Luis Suarez - 24/01

8. Steven Gerrard - 30/05

10. Philippe Coutinho - 12/06

12. Daniel Pacheco - 05/01

14. Jordan Henderson - 17/06

21. Lucas Leiva - 09/01

23. Jamie Carragher - 28/01

24. Joe Allen - 14/03

29. Fabio Borini - 29/03

33. Jonjo Shelvey - 27/02

34. Martin Kelly - 27/04

35. Conor Coady - 25/02

36. Samed Yesil - 25/05

38. Jon Flanagan - 01/01

42. Péter Gulácsi - 06/05

45. Stephen Sama - 05/03

47. Andre Wisdom - 09/05

50. Adam Morgan - 21/04

52. Danny Ward - 22/06

-- Andy Carroll - 06/01

2. Glen Johnson - 23/08

11. Oussama Assaidi - 15/08

15. Daniel Sturridge - 01/09

19. Stewart Downing - 22/07

25. José Reina - 31/08

43. Ryan McLaughlin - 30/09

48. Jerome Sinclair - 20/09

49. Jack Robinson - 01/09

5. Daniel Agger - 12/12

16. Sebastian Coates - 07/10

22. Danny Wilson - 27/12

30. Suso - 19/11

31. Raheem Sterling - 08/12

37. Martin Skrtel - 15/12

-- Jay Spearing - 25/11

You're a boring fucking cunt.....to put it mildly.

Johnny-from-Airplane-790959_zps70a37807.jpg

<object width="300" height="28" class="hark_player">

<param name="movie" value="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_fb.swf?pid=prsjwblwxd"/>

<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/>

<param name="allownetworking" value="all"/>

<param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>

<embed src="http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_fb.swf?pid=prsjwblwxd" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" width="300" height="28" wmode="transparent"></embed>

</object><br/>

<a href="http://hark.com/clips/prsjwblwxd-johnny-what-can-you-make-out-of-this" style="font-size: 9px; color: #ddd;" title="Listen to Johnny, What Can You Make Out of This? on Hark.com">Johnny, What Can You Make Out of This?</a>