You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come Sheridan is playing for Toulon, in front of Jenkins, yet doesn't get in the England team?

Don't think Lancaster is considering any of the players who play rugby in France.

Don't think Lancaster is considering any of the players who play rugby in France.

Any reason why? Isn't Gatland using a similar policy with the Lions? Something to do with French league going through to July isn't it?

Saw a tweet earlier from the rugby lady on BBC, saying that 29 places on Lions tour are now sorted.

Make that 30 now, POC won't have been a definite, with that performance today he is and in a position without a great deal of competition he is probably now close to the captaincy.

Can't see him getting the Captaincy but there should have been no doubt he'd be on the plane.

Had to prove his fitness, he now has. If he's fit he starts as other than AWJ I can't think of another Lock likely to push him for a test spot.

If he lifts a third HC in May it'd be a brave man to bet against him captaining the Lions. The other aspect is you need the tour captain to be guaranteed their test spot and of the likely captains I can't think of many who are guaranteed to start.

Ain't saying it'll happen just that POC launched himself back into the frame today

Had to prove his fitness, he now has. If he's fit he starts as other than AWJ I can't think of another Lock likely to push him for a test spot.

If he lifts a third HC in May it'd be a brave man to bet against him captaining the Lions. The other aspect is you need the tour captain to be guaranteed their test spot and of the likely captains I can't think of many who are guaranteed to start.

Ain't saying it'll happen just that POC launched himself back into the frame today

Reckon he'll be the mid week captain.

What a fucking win! PO'C on the plane after that performance and Zebo didn't do himself any harm. Many beers were had and many more are on the cards, who the fuck needs Leinstertainment! I guess Penny's super 15s philosophy may get another year, even if it was the old school stuff that did the real damage!

radge-copy2.jpg?w=584

It was a cracking performance, from a player that I really like, but I don't think he'll be the Lions captain, as he isn't guaranteed a starting place yet, and I stress the word yet.

The HC Final is in May, with the squad being announced end of April. I still think he'll push the test team close, and would be an excellent partner for AWJ, who I think will be captain.

Reckon he'll be the mid week captain.

Get to fuck.

Given the fact he's been out for so long, comes back giving a performance like that, and only gonna get better (injury permitting) between now and the end of the season, he's a shoe-in for the weekend team and will be close to captain.

Can't think of a better lock at the minute. Besides Chubb obviously!

Get to fuck.

Given the fact he's been out for so long, comes back giving a performance like that, and only gonna get better (injury permitting) between now and the end of the season, he's a shoe-in for the weekend team and will be close to captain.

Can't think of a better lock at the minute. Besides Chubb obviously!

Easy tiger.

I love PO'C. I didn't say he 'should' be in the mid week team just that's how I reckon he'll end up being used.*

*Which would be a complete waste.

Any reason why? Isn't Gatland using a similar policy with the Lions? Something to do with French league going through to July isn't it?

Saw a tweet earlier from the rugby lady on BBC, saying that 29 places on Lions tour are now sorted.

Think the main reason is that he can;t watch them as regularly as the Premiership players and he wants to support the Premiership league and encourage the players to play in England.

Gatland hasn't ruled out picked players for the Lions who play in France. I think some he should be certainly considering.

Think the main reason is that he can;t watch them as regularly as the Premiership players and he wants to support the Premiership league and encourage the players to play in England.

Gatland hasn't ruled out picked players for the Lions who play in France. I think some he should be certainly considering.

Which is bullshit.

It's a political move and it's as wrong for the Lions as it is for England and it was when Wales tried to force players back too.

It is down to the fitness of players who play in the French league, I think. Gatland doesn't think they are in good enough shape to play international rugby when they come back from France to international duty. Also their availability as you say is a factor as they aren't released by their clubs for certain training camps & games. Gatland has said he ideally wants everyone to be on the same plane to Australia. And the French playoff final clashes with the Lions first tour game. Phillips should be ok because Bayonne won't be involved but Wilkinson & Co probably will be.

I think he should take Wilkinson.

In the last 15 minutes in a Test, I'd rather he was on the pitch over anyone else in the 10 jersey.

He showed that today and has all season with Toulon. Perfect bench player for the tour.

It is down to the fitness of players who play in the French league, I think. Gatland doesn't think they are in good enough shape to play international rugby when they come back from France to international duty. Also their availability as you say is a factor as they aren't released by their clubs for certain training camps & games. Gatland has said he ideally wants everyone to be on the same plane to Australia. And the French playoff final clashes with the Lions first tour game. Phillips should be ok because Bayonne won't be involved but Wilkinson & Co probably will be.

Cheers for that information. It would be a shame if players missed out because they played in the French league. I remember hearing the "fitness" comment in one of the games today, one of the commentators said that the French league wasn't as competitive as the premiership, which I find quite strange.

I wouldn't fancy Wilkinson in the last 10 on a big hard ground with the likes of Beale, Genia Cooper and Ioane playing wide out running rugby. Plus we are going down there to play front foot rugby so for me no ROG/Wilkinson types and if one of them is needed Farrell is the man to do it. Also what do you non paddies think of Madigan? He is probably the most in form 10 around IMO. Would love to see him brought but I highly doubt it.

too much of a wild card at #10 when you need someone who is rock solid and will deliver.

There should be enough quality in the backline not to need a flamboyant 10. Just need to look at Australia and quade cooper. If he;s on his game then great Australia generally play well. If he's not he's a liability and causes all kinds of problems.

A successful Lions team will be about balance. Balance between power, pace and brains. If any one of those three ingredients is lacking we will struggle.

The aussies have a few discipline problems but their key super 15 sides are looking good. might be a bit tighter than I thought. they are still the weakest of the 3 SH nations though.

Was like a Munster of old today. Not pretty but did the basics very well and disrupted the attacking side to Harlequins. I really don't like Danny Care either. He's a sunshine scrum half. Great when things are going well but when not he goes missing.

Leicester valiant effort against Toulon (who didn;t play well) but class & power told in the end.

Clermont the team to beat though.

too much of a wild card at #10 when you need someone who is rock solid and will deliver.

I wouldn't start Wilkinson, but if the game is close and you need someone to kick the goals - then he is the perfect man. Even if it is a drop goal, as we have seen many times, even yesterday.

I'd have him in the squad, but not as a starter.