You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at the match last night. Gutted we couldn't put France away they have been dogshit under St Andre. Before the match this was the list of players we had out injured:

O'Connell, Ferris, Strauss, Chris Henry

Sexton, D'Arcy, Bowe, Gilroy, Zebo

As of last night that list includes

Ryan, O'Mahony, Reddan, Murray, McFadden

Not to mention BO'D, who was incredible.

That injury list puts into perspective our performance this season. A good few of those players, if fully fit, would already be on the plane to Australia.

Ireland are a team in transition. It'll be another year or two till we see what you are capable of. The major positive for Ireland is that the provinces still keep producing young talent. I think you need a change of coach though.

England were awful today. No club side worth their salt would have botched those two try scoring opportunities in the first half. I really do not like Toby Flood i think he's fucking garbage but he wasn't England's only major problem. So many basic errors it was untrue. No precision is their play at all and the back line still does not deliver anywhere near enough quality.

England like Wales imo lack a thinker at either 10 or 12. A creative player who can dictate his backline through just basic good choices of when to kick and when to pass. England are heavily reliant on Tuilagi and yet even then they often forget to support him for offloads when he barges through defences. When Wales are playing well they have North & roberts making ground with Davies, Cuthbert and halfpenny right next to them for quick offloads or recycle of the ball. IMO Wales need to find a way to get Hook in the team. He's an intelligent player who will ignite an exciting back unit.

Just need to look at NZ, they have Carter and Smith. Most teams now have big backs, its the clever ones who make the real difference. Giteau was another for Australia. More brains and less Brawn is required imo for all 6 nations teams to progress.

Anyway, should be a great game next week. Tough one to call but I reckon Wales will win.

Best example is BOD. Sadly mongos are in fashion nowadays but I think after the last series of internationals teams are realising that a well organised defence with good line speed basically renders that shithouse type of gameplan useless. That's one thing I'm glad we have coming through here, intelligent centres like Marshall, Cave and later O Malley.

England like Wales imo lack a thinker at either 10 or 12. A creative player who can dictate his backline through just basic good choices of when to kick and when to pass. England are heavily reliant on Tuilagi and yet even then they often forget to support him for offloads when he barges through defences. When Wales are playing well they have North & roberts making ground with Davies, Cuthbert and halfpenny right next to them for quick offloads or recycle of the ball. IMO Wales need to find a way to get Hook in the team. He's an intelligent player who will ignite an exciting back unit.

Just need to look at NZ, they have Carter and Smith. Most teams now have big backs, its the clever ones who make the real difference. Giteau was another for Australia. More brains and less Brawn is required imo for all 6 nations teams to progress.

England have lacked that player since Greenwood retired. He was so vital to that England team.

Totally agree about Hook, I rate him highly.

Some good posts again on here. I only managed to catch the Wales game this weekend, a bit scrappy, but last autumn we would have lost that game. I agree with the idea of getting Hook in at 10 instead of Biggar, as Hook is a lot more inventive in his play. Roberts and Davies have been really quiet this tournament, maybe saving it all for next week.

Here is my dilemma for Saturday, any thoughts welcomed. I'm away at a music festival in Pwllheli and at 6pm on Saturday, German thrashers Sodom, who I've never seen and I'm a massive fan, are on stage, with another band I want to see at 5.30pm. Kick off is at 5pm, I'm completely torn about what to do.

I'm Welsh. You can't beat a Wales v England game any time, but with the title riding on it - going to be great. Tough one to call, but my head says England will grind it out. Wales are prone to let the emotion of these events cloud clear thinking on the field. When it clicks, we're very good. When not, teams like England capitalize. Anyhow, may the best team win. (As long as it's Wales) :o)

I'm Welsh. You can't beat a Wales v England game any time, but with the title riding on it - going to be great. Tough one to call, but my head says England will grind it out. Wales are prone to let the emotion of these events cloud clear thinking on the field. When it clicks, we're very good. When not, teams like England capitalize. Anyhow, may the best team win. (As long as it's Wales) :o)

It was always drummed into us when I played rugby from a young age in Bridgend, that the match against England was the one that we had to win every year. So when we played county rugby against teams from England it always had that extra edge.

I think that Wales will just edge it, as they have some momentum from winning 3 successive away games, and although the loss of Ryan Jones is a massive one, Tipuric will come in and perform the role to his usually high standards. The Welsh defence has tightened up since the Ireland game and as others have mentioned, I don't see that England have enough flair in their backs to win the game.

It was always drummed into us when I played rugby from a young age in Bridgend' date=' that the match against England was the one that we had to win every year. So when we played county rugby against teams from England it always had that extra edge.

[/quote']

That would stem from the inferiority complex, which frequently manifests itself as a huge fucking chip on your shoulder...

Oh yeah, I went there!

Re this weekend's game? Fuck knows - too tight to call if I'm honest.

That would stem from the inferiority complex, which frequently manifests itself as a huge fucking chip on your shoulder...

Oh yeah, I went there!

Re this weekend's game? Fuck knows - too tight to call if I'm honest.

Ha ha ha, I think it stems from the fact that back in the day, rugby was a working man's game in Wales, where the players used to work down the pit or a job of a similar ilk, whereas rugby was very much a public schoolboy game in England, where the players were either in the RAF, lawyers or worked in the city.

Ha ha ha' date=' I think it stems from the fact that back in the day, rugby was a working man's game in Wales, where the players used to work down the pit or a job of a similar ilk, whereas rugby was very much a public schoolboy game in England, where the players were either in the RAF, lawyers or worked in the city.[/quote']

Oh I know. When I was at school, I played rugby for my county from the age of 15, and I was the only one in the squad that went to a comprehensive. The rest were all from various private schools.

However, that was 23 years ago (fuck!), so things might have changed a bit now...

Oh I know. When I was at school, I played rugby for my county from the age of 15, and I was the only one in the squad that went to a comprehensive. The rest were all from various private schools.

However, that was 23 years ago (fuck!), so things might have changed a bit now...

My last competitive game of rugby when 27 years ago. I never played it in high school, as I'd moved to leafy Cheshire and my high school didn't play rugby and the local clubs didn't have teams for my age range. I just play touch rugby now at my local club, which is great fun.

I think that Wales will just edge it, as they have some momentum from winning 3 successive away games, and although the loss of Ryan Jones is a massive one, Tipuric will come in and perform the role to his usually high standards. The Welsh defence has tightened up since the Ireland game and as others have mentioned, I don't see that England have enough flair in their backs to win the game.

I agree with this.

Wales to win a close game.

My last competitive game of rugby when 27 years ago. I never played it in high school' date=' as I'd moved to leafy Cheshire and my high school didn't play rugby and the local clubs didn't have teams for my age range. I just play touch rugby now at my local club, which is great fun.[/quote']

I stopped playing when I went to university as I simply couldn't be arsed with the level of public school prattery that accompanied being part of the team.

I just wanted to play then go home and get stoned, but there was an expectation you'd go out with 'the team', get horrendously drunk and let some Crispin type shove a lit newspaper up your arse.

Not for me thanks...

There's a rugby club down the road from where I live now, and I often feel tempted to go down and see if I could get a game for their Veterans side before my body gives out completely!

I stopped playing when I went to university as I simply couldn't be arsed with the level of public school prattery that accompanied being part of the team.

I just wanted to play then go home and get stoned, but there was an expectation you'd go out with 'the team', get horrendously drunk and let some Crispin type shove a lit newspaper up your arse.

Not for me thanks...

There's a rugby club down the road from where I live now, and I often feel tempted to go down and see if I could get a game for their Veterans side before my body gives out completely!

I played footy at university instead, for those exact reasons you stated about the rugby boys.

I've been asked to play for the vets team a few times now, but having watched a few of their matches earlier this season, it just seems to be a bunch of blokes settling old scores, and I don't think my body could handle the punishment any more.

See if your local club offers touch rugby, as its a light hearted way of playing the game without any contact.

I played footy at university instead' date=' for those exact reasons you stated about the rugby boys.

I've been asked to play for the vets team a few times now, but having watched a few of their matches earlier this season, it just seems to be a bunch of blokes settling old scores, and I don't think my body could handle the punishment any more.

See if your local club offers touch rugby, as its a light hearted way of playing the game without any contact.[/quote']

That seems like a good idea.

One of my mates still plays and used to persuade me to have the odd run out when I went back to see him, and I remember it hurting lot more than it used to when I was a kid.

Hell, when I was 17/18 I used to play for one of the senior sides on a Saturday afternoon and then get up and play for the U21s on Sunday morning!

Ah, the joys of youth...

As long as its by a 9 point margin!!!!!

Yeah I think it will be closer than that.

Can see Wales winning the match, England winning the Six Nations.