You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Six Nations starts next weekend.

Who does everyone fancy to win it?

Which players need to impress in the Six Nations to get a Lions spot?

Do you think players have to play in the Six Nations to be selected? I'm thinking Wilkinson and Easter, maybe some others who could be selected.

I think O'Driscoll needs to have a good Six Nations, as he has some stiff competition at outside centre with Davies and Tuilagi.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Can't really comment on Lions tour just yet as too early but looking forward to it but 6 Nations? France will start as favourites in my opinion,England and Ireland to fight for 2nd 3rd, Italy difficult to beat with the Jocks last!;-)

Hate to say it but I'm writing Wales off for this. We were lost and indisciplined without Gatland at the helm and I can't see that changing. First game at home against Ireland is absolutely key. If we can perform like we did in the Australian tests then we've a chance, if no it'll be a tough few weeks. France England for top two (on current form).

Hate to say it but I'm writing Wales off for this. We were lost and indisciplined without Gatland at the helm and I can't see that changing. First game at home against Ireland is absolutely key. If we can perform like we did in the Australian tests then we've a chance, if no it'll be a tough few weeks. France England for top two (on current form).

I agree with you, plus we have a host of injuries to key players, Lydiate being the main one. The Number 10 spot is up for grabs, and key to how Wales play, but I'm keeping everything crossed that we can defend our 6 Nations crown.

France are the most consistently good team but have in the past been hampered by strange coach choices and possibly too many options. They are the team to beat this season though.

England and Ireland both have good all round teams and are able to lift themselves to a very high level of performance. Problem with both teams is that they can also put in a shitty display or two as well.

Wales despite their awful recent run are a top team but injuries and lacking of continuity in coaching staff will hinder them.

Scotland & Italy will battle it out for the wooden spoon but I expect all games to be a lot closer again this season with no real whipping boy (home or away)

The whole competition could well be decided on the first game of Wales V Ireland. The winner will take the momentum with them into the rest of the tournament and will stand a very good chance of winning it. Lose it and your tournament is effectively over.

France are too inconsistent but when they are on it they are at times unplayable. England are in with a good shout but I would think the Autumn games against SA and AUS are more the barometer of where they are instead of the win against NZ. Still a good team but are basically a one dimensional team full of big bastards all over the park who try to bully their way to a win. The Northern Hemisphere Spring Boks if you like.

Scotland and Italy are muck and will fight it out for the wooden spoon.

An interesting couple of months ahead. Can't wait.

Prediction:

1. Ireland

2. France

3. England

4. Wales

5. Italy

6. Scotland

France just need a settled side. They are their own worst enemies. Primarily chopping and changing the 9 & 10 positions and then playing a conservative backline. On paper they are the best team imo and also have the best squad.

Ireland on paper are good but so often they are big underachievers. Wales go through periods of being excellent and shit. With the current quality of players they shouldn't be shit but results have been very poor lately. A shadow of the side we saw in the World Cup and Six Nations last year.

IMO England lack mobile and dynamic backrow, its a powerful unit but a bit ploddy. We also lack a creative player in the centre. I don't mind Barritt but like Tindall previously he's more of a defensive player than an attacking one. We already have a physical monster in Tuilagi there... so i'd rather see a more intelligent player there. Especially since we don't have a creative fly half either.

Agree with all that George, especially the bit about the England centres. England have lacked something in that position since Greenwood retired.

I actually watched some of England under Woodward on youtube and it made me remember just how important Greenwood was in that team. He created so many tries with clever flicks and passes.

England should win it, France will be close though...

don't agree with that. France should win it. They have the best players and in case of injuries the best strength in depth. France's back row is frighteningly good only 2nd to NZ's which is arguably the greatest ever.

France have annoyed me recently though with their defensive tactics & selections. Its baffling. Pick the clermont lads and supplement that with Toulouse and that forms that base of a top, top class side.

I like what Lancaster is doing with England but i think we lack top class players in key positions. namely 8, 10 and 12. Tomkins is an exciting talent from RL which will enable us to play a conservative #10

Easter is still the best number 8 in England.

Easter isn't good enough. He's just another in a long line of heavy weight #8's. Slow, average ball skills, yes they all might push the gain line but look at the best 8's around the world they don't just get over the gain line they destroy it and offload in hand to supporting runners. England forwards far too oftengo to ground to recycle possession which slows down the play.

Reid, Spies, Picamoles, Parisse and Heaslip. At 8 in the modern game you need to speed of a back but the power of a forward. England are way behind here imo. Dallaglio was our best ball carrier for many years. but even now the game has moved on and they are faster, stronger and have better hand skills. I really like Tom Croft, wonder if can convert from a 6 to an 8.

Easter isn't good enough. He's just another in a long line of heavy weight #8's. Slow, average ball skills, yes they all might push the gain line but look at the best 8's around the world they don't just get over the gain line they destroy it and offload in hand to supporting runners. England forwards far too oftengo to ground to recycle possession which slows down the play.

Reid, Spies, Picamoles, Parisse and Heaslip. At 8 in the modern game you need to speed of a back but the power of a forward. England are way behind here imo. Dallaglio was our best ball carrier for many years. but even now the game has moved on and they are faster, stronger and have better hand skills. I really like Tom Croft, wonder if can convert from a 6 to an 8.

Not saying Easter is good enough for what England want, just saying he is the best number 8 they have. He has been really good for Quins this season, although I think his ball skills are good. He is too slow though.

Croft is brilliant at 6, I'd be reluctant to move him from that position.

Not saying Easter is good enough for what England want, just saying he is the best number 8 they have. He has been really good for Quins this season, although I think his ball skills are good. He is too slow though.

Croft is brilliant at 6, I'd be reluctant to move him from that position.

He is but his mobility, pace and skills would probably be better suited at 8. No reason though I guess for swapping the attributes of a 6 & 8. A fast ball carrying forward is essential in the modern game.

I thought Lawes was going to be a world beater but he really hasn't kicked on from his early promise. Needs to buckle down and work hard, not sure he wants its enough.

Lawes has had some injuries I think, but he is an athlete.

I thought Haskell was going to be the answer at number 8, but he seems to have stagnated.

Both have attitude problems it seems. Believed their own hype early on and haven't kicked on from showing early promise.

Saying that I'd play Haskell over Easter and Waldrom. The latter is just a fat bastard who plays for Leicester therefore gets picked for England.

Personally I'd move Croft to 8, bring in Armitage at 6 and keep Robshaw at 7. Anyone who has seen Toulon in the last year has seen Steffon Armitage produce world class performances for them. Fuck the politics of him playing in France, he needs to play for England