You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

North Korea gettin' all Gangnam up in this bitch.

Unrighteous

Do you have a source on that one, mate?

What we know about North Korea's latest missile launch:

• Hwasong-15 is new type of ICBM

• Fired from launcher in Pyongsong, South Pyongan Province

• Reached height of 4,475 km (2,800 miles), higher than ever before

• Splashed down off Japanese

cnn.it/2AeQOlh

• Upvote 1

Do you have a source on that one, mate?

From BBC;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42162462

North Korea says it has successfully tested a new type of intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that can reach the whole of continental United States.

State television said Pyongyang had achieved its mission of becoming a nuclear state.

The Hwasong-15 missile, described as its "most powerful", was launched in darkness early on Wednesday.

It landed in Japanese waters but flew higher than any other missile the North had previously tested.

The test, which defied international sanctions imposed over the North's weapons programme, drew swift international condemnation, with the UN Security Council due to convene an emergency session.

South Korea responded by carrying out live-fire drills, launching one of its own ballistic missiles.

Why this launch was different

News of the launch was announced on state television in a special broadcast at midday, as well as in a report released by state news agency KCNA.

Pyongyang says the missile reached an altitude of 4,475km (2,780 miles) and flew 950km in 53 minutes, close to independent estimates made by South Korea's military.

The projectile, fired at a steep incline, did not fly over Japan as some have done in the past, and landed about 250km short of its northern coast, according to Japanese officials.

North Korea has previously said that its projectiles can hit the US but this marks the first time it says it can do it with this new type of missile, which appears to be an upgraded version of previous models.

KCNA added that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, who personally signed off on the launch, "declared with pride that now we have finally realised the great historic cause of completing the state nuclear force, the cause of building a rocket power".

The report said that "as a responsible nuclear power and a peace-loving state", North Korea would "make every possible effort to serve the noble purpose of defending peace and stability of the world".

It said its weapons, meant as a defence against "the US imperialists' nuclear blackmail policy", would "not pose any threat to any country" as long as North Korean interests were not infringed upon.

"This is our solemn declaration."

An analysis by the US-based Union of Concerned Scientists concludes that the missile could have travelled more than 13,000km on a standard trajectory, thus reaching "any part of the continental United States".

But it seems likely, the analysis adds, that the missile had a very light mock warhead, meaning it might lack the power to carry a nuclear payload, which is much heavier, over that distance.

North Korea however says the Hwasong-15 could reach mainland US carrying a "super-large heavy warhead".

• Upvote 1

Thanks, lads. Not entirely sure how much I trust those reports, and considering the impact of having a real warhead makes to real world performance, I'm not particularly worried. I hope there's no case of media banging the drums for the war-machine. Nice to see the BBC mention it. That said, I don't think Trump and his administration care much if they have the will of the people on their side this time.

Thanks, lads. Not entirely sure how much I trust those reports, and considering the impact of having a real warhead makes to real world performance, I'm not particularly worried. I hope there's no case of media banging the drums for the war-machine. Nice to see the BBC mention it. That said, I don't think Trump and his administration care much if they have the will of the people on their side this time.

I’m sure a few kilos of botulism landing in the middle of New York could cause enough panic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Mike D said:

Enjoyed Michael Palin‘s North Korea documentary. I liked where he showed his guide the Fish slap dance. Should have showed her Biggus Dikkus!

Yeah she was well tasty. I'd like to show her a short film which said my cock was the party and the party was my cock, and that only by being made one with the party could she reach nirvana with Gorbachev or whatever the fuck.

• 3 months later...