You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

I have no idea if it would have worked but I really wanted to see Klopp push Can further on and bring Coutinho back alongside Lucas. Especially when Can hit the bar with the almost last shot of the half.

I'm not a big fan of can and I know he had a decent shot today, but I don't think he looks very capable around the penalty box. I don't know the solution with the current set of players, as I think they're weak minded and petrified of the goal. But from everything that has gone with this set of players in an ideal world I'd like us to try a diamond, get Coutinho on the left of it, someone who can run with the ball and go by people (can firmino do this?) and get someone alongside benteke who can run in behind, drop short, take some of the scoring burden from him. Obviously Sturridge can do that if he can stay fit, but we should try and buy someone as he can't be trusted.

There's no movement ahead of him. I keep saying it, but if we are going to play benteke, we need to drop him into a midfield position and allow him to look forwards at the players he currently plays in a line with. Too often he gets the ball and he thinks the only option ahead is get it on the right foot and shoot.

I think he may benefit from playing further back.  I'd play Lallana central just off Benteke, and Coutinho behind him slightly ahead of two CMs, neither of which should be Lucas.  Ibe to hug the touchline, and I'd play the young left back Smith. 

No point giving him stick he's an absolutely phenomenal footballler, in a system and surrounded by players that negate his qualities. He still beats a man or two every time he gets the ball and set up our only genuine chance for Allen today.

He's consistently playing badly.  No-one negates his qualities - if they're that niche, perhaps that's not the best sign of a quality player.  The fact is, Lallana, Firmino and Ibe would also look better with better players around them.  They appear not to be immune to a slating, and yet, we're led to believe that none of these can hold a candle to Coutinho.  So if he's playing further below his performance ceiling than everyone else, how does he get off scot free?

• Upvote 1

He seemed to be playing with his head down today. I don't want to lump everything that's wrong with our AMs onto Benteke, but it's noticeable how little they bother looking up now due to the lack of movement up front.

On the few instances where Benteke does make some space (he isolated the fullback once today and opened up a channel that Coutinho should've noticed) he's ignored because their first thought it to close the gap between midfield and CF, rather than looking to hit the striker quickly. Only Henderson has looked to do that recently.

I think he may benefit from playing further back. I'd play Lallana central just off Benteke, and Coutinho behind him slightly ahead of two CMs, neither of which should be Lucas. Ibe to hug the touchline, and I'd play the young left back Smith.

Dunno what I think of Smith to be honest, we've mostly only played him stupid situations. I hate Moreno though, but he's not unique in that situation. I just despair. So many poor players. Clyne had yet another nothing game today and was at the scene of the crime of another goal. And the sad thing is I don't think he's very good, but he's about the last player you'd look to change at the moment as it is so shit everywhere else in the side.

He seemed to be playing with his head down today. I don't want to lump everything that's wrong with our AMs onto Benteke, but it's noticeable how little they bother looking up now due to the lack of movement up front.

On the few instances where Benteke does make some space (he isolated the fullback once today and opened up a channel that Coutinho should've noticed) he's ignored because their first thought it to close the gap between midfield and CF, rather than looking to hit the striker quickly. Only Henderson has looked to do that recently.

I'll tell you what though, we've got real problems if we're only looking for one man for movement. It should be all over the pitch. Those number 10's should be looking to get beyond the striker, looking to drift wide, arrive on the back post of crosses. The midfielders should be watching the game unfold and waiting for their chance to take advantage of a gap in the defence in front of us or maybe looking to get close to benteke and get in for his lay offs and 2nd balls. And the full backs should be trying to get into pockets of space at the right time. There should be movement everywhere, but instead we've just got these nothing footballers with no work rate, passion or an idea of how take take a hold of a game of football.

• Upvote 1

Dunno what I think of Smith to be honest, we've mostly only played him stupid situations. I hate Moreno though, but he's not unique in that situation. I just despair. So many poor players. Clyne had yet another nothing game today and was at the scene of the crime of another goal. And the sad thing is I don't think he's very good, but he's about the last player you'd look to change at the moment as it is so shit everywhere else in the side.

I have to say, Clyne really disappoints when he gets the ball in advanced areas.  His distribution makes Johnson look like Pirlo.  I guess my main point is if we are to play Benteke, we shouldn't be fucking about with a load of out of form number 10s in the team.  We need someone close to Benteke to feed off him, and we need wide players who can cross the ball and give him something to attack.  I'm not sure what Smith is like as a defender, but I have seen him ping at least one decent cross in.  

As soon as I saw Lucas and Can paired together today, I knew we were likely to lose.  I can't believe Klopp hasn't worked that one out yet.  

I'll tell you what though, we've got real problems if we're only looking for one man for movement. It should be all over the pitch. Those number 10's should be looking to get beyond the striker, looking to drift wide, arrive on the back post of crosses. The midfielders should be watching the game unfold and waiting for their chance to take advantage of a gap in the defence in front of us or maybe looking to get close to benteke and get in for his lay offs and 2nd balls. And the full backs should be trying to get into pockets of space at the right time. There should be movement everywhere, but instead we've just got these nothing footballers with no work rate, passion or an idea of how take take a hold of a game of football.

But none of them are that sort of player. One of Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana should be playing. Not two of them, and certainly not all fucking three. Coutinho should be playing behind a striker that actually moves and the two wide positions should be filled with goal scorers. Players with pace, players that are direct. 

• Upvote 1

Coutinho actually played a few one twos with Benteke today, notably one where he ran through and was heavy with his touch which allowed the goalkeeper to parry.  But as you say, there has been no movement ahead or even around Benteke - and we are not providing him with the service from the flanks which quite clearly would play to his strengths.  

But none of them are that sort of player. One of Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana should be playing. Not two of them, and certainly not all fucking three. Coutinho should be playing behind a striker that actually moves and the two wide positions should be filled with goal scorers. Players with pace, players that are direct. 

That's bollocks.  Why can't Coutinho or Firmino make the run?  Are they disabled in some way?   A bit of coaching in this regard may not go amiss.  In fact, I would say it is absolutely necessary.  Bergkamp was slower than both, but he didn't struggle to find advanced positions ahead of Henry or whoever was playing CF.  

I have to say, Clyne really disappoints when he gets the ball in advanced areas. His distribution makes Johnson look like Pirlo. I guess my main point is if we are to play Benteke, we shouldn't be fucking about with a load of out of form number 10s in the team. We need someone close to Benteke to feed off him, and we need wide players who can cross the ball and give him something to attack. I'm not sure what Smith is like as a defender, but I have seen him ping at least one decent cross in.

As soon as I saw Lucas and Can paired together today, I knew we were likely to lose. I can't believe Klopp hasn't worked that one out yet.

I'm sure he has. But there's little or no choice on the sidelines are there? The side already lacks any type of credible experience, so I dont see klopp wanting to play another kid. Top and bottom of it, he needs some top experienced players in this window. He won't get them though.

What type of player are they then? At the moment, they all just look like lads in a works Monday night 5 a side. If an attacking player isn't able to make some movement, he needs to find another job.

That's bollocks.  Why can't Coutinho or Firmino make the run?  Are they disabled in some way?   A bit of coaching in this regard may not go amiss.  In fact, I would say it is absolutely necessary.  Bergkamp was slower than both, but he didn't struggle to find advanced positions ahead of Henry or whoever was playing CF.  

Which bit is bollocks? They aren't that sort of player. Jordan Henderson is more than sort of player than Firmino or Coutinho. Bergkamp was a second striker, seems a bizarre comparison.

I'm sure he has. But there's little or no choice on the sidelines are there? The side already lacks any type of credible experience, so I dont see klopp wanting to play another kid. Top and bottom of it, he needs some top experienced players in this window. He won't get them though.

If you play Lucas (a crazy enough decision imo) then you need to play him in a three, otherwise you're asking for trouble.  

I'm not optimistic about the January window either, but I'm hoping that him suffering these performances will at least ensure there's absolutely no doubt that a lot of these players - including some who weren't in the squad through injury - need bin-bagging, and the time between now and the summer window can be used to invest some thought into who he would like to bring into the club to help build a balanced squad with enough winners and character in the first team to drag the rest along.

Which bit is bollocks? They aren't that sort of player. Jordan Henderson is more than sort of player than Firmino or Coutinho. Bergkamp was a second striker, seems a bizarre comparison.

It's all bollocks.  Bergkamp was a fantastic player who often played as a number 10.  He could play deep because he had great vision.  

What type of player are they then? At the moment, they all just look like lads in a works Monday night 5 a side. If an attacking player isn't able to make some movement, he needs to find another job.

It isn't a case of not being able to make some movement. But at no point in Coutinho's career has he been asked to look for knock downs from a big target man. He is a creative attacking midfielder. Surely it makes sense to try and use the best attributes of our players? I prefer your other idea if we have to continue with Benteke up front, play Coutinho further back. Someone like Can or Henderson is far more likely to be the sort of player to work off a target man.

It's all bollocks.  Bergkamp was a fantastic player who often played as a number 10.  He could play deep because he had great vision.  

Yes, so all we need now is Firmino and Coutinho to turn into Dennis Bergkamp and for the fucking retarded lamppost we've got upfront to turn into the best striker to have played in the country for the last couple of decades.

When was Bergkamp playing off a big target man looking for knock downs? It didn't happen, ever. He was a genius, playing off another genius. An incredibly skillful, pacey, genius that was absolutely nothing like Benteke. It's a really strange comparison, Stringy.

Yes, so all we need now is Firmino and Coutinho to turn into Dennis Bergkamp and for the fucking retarded lamppost we've got upfront to turn into the best striker to have played in the country for the last couple of decades.

When was Bergkamp playing off a big target man looking for knock downs? It didn't happen, ever. He was a genius, playing off another genius. An incredibly skillful, pacey, genius that was absolutely nothing like Benteke. It's a really strange comparison, Stringy.

He played with John Hartson and Niall Quinn as well as Henry.  Neither of who were as mobile as Benteke.  

It isn't a case of not being able to make some movement. But at no point in Coutinho's career has he been asked to look for knock downs from a big target man. He is a creative attacking midfielder. Surely it makes sense to try and use the best attributes of our players? I prefer your other idea if we have to continue with Benteke up front, play Coutinho further back. Someone like Can or Henderson is far more likely to be the sort of player to work off a target man.

They don't have to be knock downs. Benteke is adequate with his feet. Play the ball into him and run off him. Coutinho managed that today, firmino, ibe and lallana could too, we don't even need the same player to give the ball thy goes. Just use benteke as a wall and play off him. If the players we have are not capable of something so simple, they shouldn't be professional footballers. All 3 of those players should also be capable of making runs for Coutinho to play the ball to. They may not have the pace of Sturridge, but where they play should allow them to be smart with their movement. Coutinho (in fact all of them ) need to be playing with their heads up all the time when they have the ball, and running to find space when they don't.

They don't have to be knock downs. Benteke is adequate with his feet. Play the ball into him and run off him. Coutinho managed that today, firmino, ibe and lallana could too, we don't even need the same player to give the ball thy goes. Just use benteke as a wall and play off him. If the players we have are not capable of something so simple, they shouldn't be professional footballers. All 3 of those players should also be capable of making runs for Coutinho to play the ball to. They may not have the pace of Sturridge, but where they play should allow them to be smart with their movement. Coutinho (in fact all of them ) need to be playing with their heads up all the time when they have the ball, and running to find space when they don't.

Well, if you believe they're all capable of playing this football why don't you think it's happening? I'm fairly certain Klopp will have considered it.