You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Coutinho is quite simply not an inside forward or winger. Not enough of a goalscoring threat or aggressive runs into the box. It's almost comical watching him try to make runs beyond the defense, he's utterly inept at it.

He's a creative 8 in a 3 man midfield or diamond. He'd be one of the best players in the league at that role. 

He's head and shoulders by far our best player. He's just surrounded by fucking crusty wank socks

I'm not so sure that's true.  Unless you're ignoring Sturridge because he's injured all the time.  When fit, I don't think there's any question he's our best player.  He's super consistent, too, unlike Coutinho.

But this is all pretty pointless because they really play best together, each of them making the other better.  Which is what you're really trying to do when you put together a football team.

• Upvote 1

People making excuses for Coutinho - "he needs players in front of him" etc...

He's a good player .... That's it. That's all he's ever gonna be. Get used to what you have seen from him cos that's it. He ain't no genius waiting to perform once he's got the right formation or players with him.

I'm hoping Klopp is going to be pragmatic.  Not "he is definitely our best player because he was great when he had a world class striker making all sorts of runs and space for him, so he must play now".

I hope the question Klopp is asking and answering is "We cannot change our personnel until Jan at the earliest, so what is the team that I can coach and put out on the pitch that is going to give me the best chance of winning today?"  If that includes Coutinho, or Lallana, or Allen, or Toure, or all of them or none of them, I don't give a fuck.  I just want us to win.  

Turning into a pretzel logic player: He's our best player, but has been shite all season. Still needs to play because he's our best player.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm sure he's desperate to play today because with so many Brazilians out on the pitch he'll know everybody here will be watching. Left out of the Brazil side again and something is up. He'll want to impress, but so will Firmino.