You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Every shot he has gets dragged left. Reminds me of my golf swing - constantly hooking it. Look am not hating on Phil. He a good player but just feels to me like he's just as good as most of our players. He never raises the game when the chips are down, doesn't play any passes to anyone that I would consider special. He just looks small and average at the moment. And I don't think he has much more in him that would make me feel otherwise. Hence that's why I would Defo sell if barca come knocking and would even drive the potential sell.

I'd take him out of the firing line for a couple of games and see if whatever the issue is fixes itself, no way would I look to be selling him in Jan, if his form is still the same come the end of the season then that would be the time to look to get £40m for him. He'll come good though, he just needs someone ahead of him that will move and makes the runs for him.

• Upvote 1

Eriksen, Silva, Hazard, Mata.

That's just in this league

Silva doesn't manage it more often not and Eriksen wouldn't be doing it without set pieces, not that they don't count.  If Coutinho starts scoring 10 a season consistently he'll be world class. 

The Benteke signing has seriously hamstrung Coutinho, it was obvious at the time that a static lump and lack of a decent forward signing in the summer was going to hamper our large collection of AM's.  Even someone as average as Ings would instantly make Coutinho and even Lallana to a lesser extent look much better.

How many players in our team are likely to get in to double figures this season?

Benteke and Sturridge if he can stay fit, but that's all?

The main problem I see is that I can't ever imagine Coutinho and Benteke playing well together in the same team, but because of The everlasting injury problems of Sturridge, this year at least we have to try and build around Benteke.

The current squad is the most unbalanced I can ever remember here. We haven't got one single winger that's ready to start week in week out, and yet paid 32.5 million for a striker that thrives off crosses.

I really think Klopp has totally underestimated the job required here.  

How many players in our team are likely to get in to double figures this season?

Benteke and Sturridge if he can stay fit, but that's all?

The main problem I see is that I can't ever imagine Coutinho and Benteke playing well together in the same team, but because of The everlasting injury problems of Sturridge, this year at least we have to try and build around Benteke.

The current squad is the most unbalanced I can ever remember here. We haven't got one single winger that's ready to start week in week out, and yet paid 32.5 million for a striker that thrives off crosses.

I really think Klopp has totally underestimated the job required here.  

Of course he hasn't. Get a grip man.

It's not that big a job.  We're one of the richest teams in Europe and if Klopp's given the same backing as previous managers, we'll look like one in a few years time.

Harsh reality is we'll do fuck all in the meantime with the shambles of a squad he's inherited.

All comes down to weather he's given the time to revamp the squad and what's expected with the shower of shite he's inherited.

That he's still injured and has a 20 year 200m runner playing in front of him.

We need Sturridge or Ings in the side for any decent number 10 to have a positive effect on the side. If Origi is upfront we aren't going to score many goals. If Benteke is we might as well play Ibe and Moreno as wingers and pack the midfield with yard dogs.

Rodgers has built possibly the most unbalanced squad of all time where one of our two best attacking players is made of pavlova and the other needs a player of his ability in the side. We've got three number 10s and several other players whose best position is possibly there as well.

Coutinho isn't playing well but he's playing with an injury (remember how shite Gerrard was playing with a groin injury), and he plays in a position that requires someone else to be decent as well. Same would apply to Iniesta, Silva, Ozil, etc.

I'm just not entirely sure what people are expecting. I probably would actually take him out of the side and not play him through injury, especially while Benteke or worse Origi are upfront but I can see why Klopp, as Rodgers did, feels he has to play regardless of the circumstances.

Think it's also worth mentioning - with regard to Coutinho playing with an injury - the forum bitterly condemned Sterling's performances last year. Played with an injury in 6 different positions and he ended up our top scorer, second amount of assists, but rotting in the reserves was the consensus.

I just thought it was worth mentioning that TLW doesn't do hypocrisy, but we do self-sabotage insanity.

• Upvote 3

Coutinho needs decent strikers. End of.

That's what us clever people have been saying since pooteke was linked

his finishing is dreadful. He gets into great positions then drags it wide. At least sterling hits the target with his smoke bombs.

The other thing that has always driven me mad about him is the trying to play the eye of the needle pass that comes of the oppos knees more often than not.

im all for creative players but trying to play a ball through 2 defenders legs is fantasy.

deulofeu was trying similar shit yesterday and just looked shit.

We've spent the last season and a half building a team that's really good at hitting balls into channels, even though we have nobody to run those channels. We were even trying to do that to Lambert for fucks sake.

Coutinho is either stupid and only has that way of playing, or that style has been drilled in to him so much, because the previous managers insistence that that was the way to play, that it's going to take more than benteke being on the pitch for 20 mins to find another way.

Remember last season, Gerrard took it on himself to try and play little give and goes with balotelli. That didn't work for a bunch of reason, but it's an indication of how you can continue to play it on the floor when having a big forward up front.

Coutinho will be just fine. He's a fine player, reads the game well and aside from his ability on the ball is maybe our best player without it. His shooting isn't great and I would prefer him to shoot less. But I think he has been carrying the weight of this team on his shoulders for 18 months and our strikers have been so shit he thinks he needs to score or we won't. Hopefully benteke and firmino will start taking some of that pressure from him and he can get back to his brilliant self.

As for selling him. Jesus fucking Christ. It beggars belief. The lad is out of form, nothing more. He'll get it back and you'll all be crying when he does and barca come calling.

• Upvote 6