You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

He's honestly one of the best footballers I've ever had the pleasure of watching but he needs to start hitting the back of the net on a regular basis, a man of his talent should aim for at least 10 plus goals a season, still fucking love Cou mind.

This has been the rap against him since he was at Vasco, where they called him the Little Prince.

Just doesn't score enough. That and the fact that sometimes he looks like a futsal player.

Wonderful player running at defences with the ball but does he do anyone elses head in the way he tries to play these impossibly precise balls so close to opposition players that it nearly always hits them. Also he would rather hold onto the ball and lose it 30 yards from goal if there isnt a pass on than play the ball up the pitch 50 yards.

As I said hes a fantastic player and we need someone to take risks with the ball sometimes but I do find him very frustrating as well.

You could be describing Luis Garcia, there.

I have skimmed through the 200-page thread, which makes a interesting read. At the beginning, Inter fans are mad happy. They're assured they've signed the next Kaka. Something that, just in a few days, turns into crazy excessive expectations. The young lad is compared to Zidane, Zico and Pelé from a bunch of Youtube clips. Coutinho still impresses in his first match, with a good eye for the game, excellent first touch on the ball and tidy passing game.

When the league debut emerges he is undeniably to lightweight, falling to the ground to often and "lacking Patos end product" (he is consistently compared with Milan's Pato). He gets less and less playing time, and in addition, he soon picks up an injury which sees him sidelined for three months.

After the injury, he's back, straight out of a Milanese spors gym, 10 pounds heavier, pure muscle.

The next indication is that he's in fact a very good player, one of the few that offers Inter little creativity. Self-confidence is not the best though, and Rafa's game clicks. What often happens, with Coutinho as their only creative player, is that he is marked out of matches.

Rafa's soon fucked off and Coutinho get less playing time. Fans are upset. Suddenly Coutinho is loaned out to Spanish Espanyol, and things start to move in the right direction. He scores five goals in something like fifteen matches. In addition to that he's voted man of the match two times. Please note that the guy just arrived at a new club, and is still only 19-20 years.

Just in time for the Coutinhos big comeback, the Inter fans learns that he most likely is for sale. This pisses them off full-time since the've waited patiently, year after year, to see him flourish in the club.

They can't believe he is for sale. Some of them wants to riot, others are tired of the whole saga and ready to get rid just to stop debating Coutinho.

Like some weird game involving us Suso coutinho and the two milan clubs or summat

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful player has his off days as this type of player always will but I think they would be less and less if he had quality forwards to pass to on a regular basis.

i don't think I've ever seen someone who can dribble past people like he does from a standing start....

And the best thing for me is he doesn't disappear if he starts to get kicked

So talented.

So shit at scoring.

If there's one thing that would improve Coutinho by 10%, it's toe-poking shots. He'd get instant power on it and get shots away quicker and might score.

I also thought that was one of his better, more measured finishes last night, but a brilliant save...

Give it a rest about Coutinho's shooting. It's tedious and not even entirely accurate. If you're talking last night, he forced a good save off his weaker foot. He often tests keepers with his shots. I can recall some important goals he has scored over the last few years.

Having a rocket of a shot isn't a necessity to be world class. Think the little Spanish magicians for a start.

• Upvote 1