You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

I understand peoples from frustrations with him but for me he's a real gem and am almost certain he'll succeed here. The frustration is borne of how good he can be when he's on his game, I agree his range of performance is a bit too wide, sometimes he's the next Ronaldinho others he's overt hitting through balls by 20 yards and losing the ball in dangerous areas. The kid expects so much from himself as can be seen by his reactions to poor play or when he's subbed off. We just need to embrace the kid, a touch and feet like his don't come around very often, I absoultely love watching him play. The shooting needs big work too.

Something has to give at the club and it may be Coutinho who makes way.

Coutinho,Lallana,Sterling and Markovic are all being modelled in the same way and I would suggest only 2,maybe 3 can afford to be kept by the club.

Lallana has started very well,Sterling has possession of a shirt and Markovic is new and is a bit more versatile so offers more options for the squad.

Coutinho has great skill but his strength and ability to last a full 90 are major handicaps in English football.

I am quite disappointed with him to be honest and it appears Rodgers isnt entirely convinced as his transfers in the summer seem to suggest.

I think our whole midfield platform would be twice as good if we had a standalone DM. The likes of Coutinho, Henderson, Allen and Lallana need to have confidence in the DM so that losing the ball isn't an absolute crisis for the team.

Coutinho, knowing that someone like Scnheiderlin was behind him, would try a few more things if he knew that he wouldn't get bawled out by Gerrard for giving the ball away and making him run after it. Same with Henderson, we'd see far more advanced runs from him if he could trust the defensive mid behind him to deal with and hold-up a quick counter attack.

• Upvote 1

Something has to give at the club and it may be Coutinho who makes way.

Coutinho,Lallana,Sterling and Markovic are all being modelled in the same way and I would suggest only 2,maybe 3 can afford to be kept by the club.

Lallana has started very well,Sterling has possession of a shirt and Markovic is new and is a bit more versatile so offers more options for the squad.

Coutinho has great skill but his strength and ability to last a full 90 are major handicaps in English football.

I am quite disappointed with him to be honest and it appears Rodgers isnt entirely convinced as his transfers in the summer seem to suggest.

I would disagree with your Rodgers point of view. I think he sees coutinho as part of the midfield 3 and the only person he brought in there was Can.

He may or may not come good but the club is not an experimental platform for him or anybody else. His performances so far this season deserve a spot on the bench, not the pitch. If he trains hard and takes advantage of the minutes he gets as a sub he can fight for a starting position again.

http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/insert-bs-here-4/105339d1394218397-random-pictures-thread-only-rule-post-here-more-entertain-me-boredbean-gifI think our whole midfield platform would be twice as good if we had a standalone DM. The likes of Coutinho, Henderson, Allen and Lallana need to have confidence in the DM so that losing the ball isn't an absolute crisis for the team.

Coutinho, knowing that someone like Scnheiderlin was behind him, would try a few more things if he knew that he wouldn't get bawled out by Gerrard for giving the ball away and making him run after it. Same with Henderson, we'd see far more advanced runs from him if he could trust the defensive mid behind him to deal with and hold-up a quick counter attack.

Boring-GIF_2.gif

• Upvote 1

He may or may not come good but the club is not an experimental platform for him or anybody else. His performances so far this season deserve a spot on the bench, not the pitch. If he trains hard and takes advantage of the minutes he gets as a sub he can fight for a starting position again.

I would say our buying policy makes most of signings an experiment.
  • Upvote 1

I understand peoples from frustrations with him but for me he's a real gem and am almost certain he'll succeed here. The frustration is borne of how good he can be when he's on his game, I agree his range of performance is a bit too wide, sometimes he's the next Ronaldinho others he's overt hitting through balls by 20 yards and losing the ball in dangerous areas. The kid expects so much from himself as can be seen by his reactions to poor play or when he's subbed off. We just need to embrace the kid, a touch and feet like his don't come around very often, I absoultely love watching him play. The shooting needs big work too.

Nail on head there.

He needs to take a leaf out of Sterling’s book and get himself in the gym. He plays his best football with Sturridge running for him. Them through balls are sexy. 

I agree with this. He needs to take it up a level physically, shrug off a few tackles now and again and then he will have time and space to thread the perfect pass he's always looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

The QPR match was his best performance in a Red shirt this season. He completely changed the game when he came on.

The talent and ability this lad has means he could be our best player, possibly one of Europe's best too. It's only a lack of consistency that is stopping him.

It was very good to see him back on song today though. Long may it continue.

First time in a wee while where he shrugged off challenges and kept running. That's what he needs to consistently, that bit of strength and determination. Too many times you see him easily shrugged off the ball.

His cameo was one of the few bright spots yesterday. Hopefully he gets back to what he was showing when he first came to the club. If he can, he's potentially world class.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I shouted that in the pub when he scored.

Bit akward.

I didn't, because I'd turned the TV off in a huff like a big baby. Petulant sod.

He's the player that can make us tick, unfortunately he's at his best when he's got lots of movement (and pace) ahead of him. I say we should play him Regardless of his form, as we need his positivity and confidence with the ball. It's not like our other midfielders and forward players never give the ball away....

He's the player that can make us tick, unfortunately he's at his best when he's got lots of movement (and pace) ahead of him. I say we should play him Regardless of his form, as we need his positivity and confidence with the ball. It's not like our other midfielders and forward players never give the ball away....

Correct. If players arent moving ahead of him he cant thread the ball through to them. Take his pass to Sterling yesterday as an example of how good he can be.

There's hardly any movement up front with Balotelli and with him being the only one up top, the little brazilian magician's going to struggle.