You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

he looks like a rolls royce but 99% of the time he just produces nothing.i know hes young but he gets me excited when he a-finds space b-runs towards the box .........then he produces c-fuck all at end of it with an over hit pass or powerless shot.

ben like this for 2 seasons now,if he dont do it this season ge should be bin bagged

Pull yer neck in lad.

He was poor last night but for a 22-year old who cost £8.5 million he has been immense.

Let's take a look at that flick that Jovetic did last night. First time, measured pass that opened up our defence as he played it between our cb and our lb. Thing is, nice flick, but the pass comes to nothing if nobody makes a run. I saw a lot of that last night, just nobody taking a chance on a flick happening. There's no point in Coutinho playing if nobody gives him anything to do. Sturridge and Sterling should have been ganging up on one side of the area, but instead they were receiving the ball flat to the defence, facing them up, and just trotting along the line of the 18 yard box but nothing was happening. Nothing was happening because THEY were the ones who should be making the runs and being found. It was another indication of just how wank our midfield was that our attackers were having to do that, whereas Jovetic and Dzeko and Aguero had Silva and Nasri doing it for them most of the time, or they interchanged.

I'd like to see us ditch the 433 and try to get two strikers being serviced by two attackers behind them. To do so means that we have to resort back to two midfielders, and this means that we can't have any passengers or 35 year old blokes in the middle, because there's a lot of ground to cover.

I think Suarez allowed us to use 433, I don't think it's necessarily the best idea for us now.

-------------------Sturridge-------Balotelli-------------------------

Markovic------------------------------------------------Sterling

------------------Hendo------------Can/Allen/Lallana----------------

I think we can still do with rounding off this summer transfer activity with a cheeky bid for Schneiderlin. We may end up paying £25m for him, but I think he's terrific. Other than that, it'd be Maxime Gonalons, Lars Bender, or someone of this ilk. Big, rangy, energetic but intelligent.

Fernando could end up being the buy of the season for City, he just owns the field at times.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about his poor performances a bit lately and I realised something - when was the last time we saw Coutinho put in a really good performance without Sturridge on the pitch with him?

It might be a bit of a case that those two players just have a really good connection - Coutinho's best through-balls and one-twos have all come with Sturridge on the end of them.  I was starting to get a bit worried that maybe he'd just lost something mentally, but I think more likely when Daniel is back then we'll see him back to his best.  Or at least I hope so, anyway.

• Upvote 1

Makes sense

Does it? Maybe its the difference between good players and great players. Rush would've been great without Kenny, Case without Souness. Hughes without Thompson, Keegan without Toshack.

If players start to hide behind other players they are not good enough for the club. . Courtinio got to man up. No excuses.

Does it? Maybe its the difference between good players and great players. Rush would've been great without Kenny, Case without Souness. Hughes without Thompson, Keegan without Toshack.

If players start to hide behind other players they are not good enough for the club. . Courtinio got to man up. No excuses.

Those players were surrounded by great players and more importantly great players who knew each other's game inside out. Coutinho has been poor this season, but it needs to be said that he has been around a number of new players and he's missed Sturridge big time.

we were talking about it after the game. i do think he takes up better positions in the position he played tonight, but he needs that out ball and he just didn't have it tonight. Maybe it is sturridge who gives him it, they are certainly on the same wave length. the thing is, coutinho at his best, just like us at our best last season, plays instinctively and passes the ball when you least expect it. he barely needs to raise his head. the team is full of new players and he is labouring on the ball much more than he usually would. in part that will be because sturridge isn't there, but also because he doesn't know the runs and movement of players like balotelli and lallana - plus sterling or coutinho themselves seems to have a different starting position each game.

i would stick with him in his position tonight and stick with the diamond. all our best football this season has been with this formation.

we were talking about it after the game. i do think he takes up better positions in the position he played tonight, but he needs that out ball and he just didn't have it tonight. Maybe it is sturridge who gives him it, they are certainly on the same wave length. the thing is, coutinho at his best, just like us at our best last season, plays instinctively and passes the ball when you least expect it. he barely needs to raise his head. the team is full of new players and he is labouring on the ball much more than he usually would. in part that will be because sturridge isn't there, but also because he doesn't know the runs and movement of players like balotelli and lallana - plus sterling or coutinho themselves seems to have a different starting position each game.

i would stick with him in his position tonight and stick with the diamond. all our best football this season has been with this formation.

Great post.

It's off topic I know, but Rush wasn't that great without Kenny (either in Italy or when he came back to us) likewise Case was a good player, but only looked great because of the team in my opinion. 

I agree with Barry Wom's post.

• Upvote 1

It's off topic I know, but Rush wasn't that great without Kenny (either in Italy or when he came back to us) likewise Case was a good player, but only looked great because of the team in my opinion. 

I agree with Barry Wom's post.

I agree with your assessment of Barry Wom's post

• Upvote 1