You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Great interview with Phillippe

COUTNHO: I WILL GIVE OPPONENTS NO PEACE.

Coutinho's coming of age.
Full excerpts from an amazingly insightful and emotional interview of our little magician, on Rádio Tupi today.

Presenter welcomed Phil Coutinho to the show addressing him as the " little darling of Vasco da Gama" (his former Rio-based club).

Q: Last time you were on this show you were in Milan, you mentioned homesickness...

Coutinho: Liverpool is home. I like a quiet life.

Presenter interrupts: Not your comrades, then? 

Coutinho: I am no one to comment. I can only speak for myself. Family and Football is all.

Q: Tell me of life at 'home' in Inglaterra (England).

Coutinho: It's a haven. Fans are kind. I have good friends here. My family is happy.

Coutinho: My family is tight. We sit together after every game and see my videos, they often notice things I miss - they help me to improve.

Bellos: Speaking of improvement, I see you're not that mild-mannered boy on the pitch anymore?

Coutinho: I owe thanks to Brendaõ (Brendan Rodgers) for that.

Coutinho: After Wigan away, where I didn't stop fighting - Brendan called me to office and told me he's sure I can be a 'volanté' or a no. 8.

Bellos (interrupts): But, that isn't your natural game? 

Coutinho: A number 8 role? Why not? I'm only a boy. Brendan showed me I can learn.

Coutinho: Brendaõ said before Everton at Anfield, "do you have the fire?" Before Arsenal he told me to not give them peace. I gave no peace.

Bellos: Your build, is it suited? 

Coutinho: It will be. I'm working closely with mi amigo Pedro Philippou (trainer) and (Ryland) Morgans.

Coutinho: I look at my teammates too. I work with Joe (Allen) sometimes to see how he uses his body to protect the ball. He's amazing at it.

Bellos: What about theory?

Coutinho: DVDs.

Brendaõ has given me DVDs of Valderrama, Valeron, Rui Costa, Francescoli to study for holidays.

Bellos (laughs): No Brazilian to study on your DVDs roster?

Coutinho: No. I've been doing that since I was 9. My uncle's VCR was my Bible.

Presenter (interrupts): Exclusion from Seleção? How..

Coutinho: Anger. Not because I'm selfish, but because I could have offered something.

Bellos: What now?

Coutinho: I'm going to use this anger and push myself to my limits. I saw how Luisito (Suárez) was a maniac in training.

Coutinho: At this point, my body and mind feel like clay. I will mold it the way I envision, and I will use my fire to make them harder.

Coutinho labels the goals 'Luisito' Suárez used to pull in traning as "loco" and "tongue-biting". You won't find a better translation, haha!

That's all folks. He is asked to speculate about his position under Dunga and how he sees the Seleção moving on. Nothing pertinent.

For those who are kosher with their Portuguese, they can catch a repeat on Rádio Tupi, Rio De Janeiro.

Phillippe is going be boss this season and Brendao will make sure of that

• Upvote 2

He was on a different planet at times today.  How the fuck Big Phil elected to take Hulk & Fred and leave Coutinho out of his World Cup squad is something I'll never quite grasp.

Eight million quid.  And he's going to get better too.  Brendao will demand it of him.

• Upvote 2

Mesmerising at times, sees things that second quicker than anyone else on the pitch and those feet fuck me sensational. The highest compliment I can pay him is that he just has that "x factor" there's just something there that very few players possess suarez had it and I believe this guy should be aiming to emulate his South American mate.

He was on a different planet at times today.  How the fuck Big Phil elected to take Hulk & Fred and leave Coutinho out of his World Cup squad is something I'll never quite grasp.

Eight million quid.  And he's going to get better too.  Brendao will demand it of him.

A lot of people in Brazil were surprised when he wasn't selected. I thought it was because he'd been a little inconsistent but as soon as Scolari's 'foul, foul, foul' tactics became apparent - in the first game - it was clear why he took Fernandinho and Paulinho ahead of him. Scolari and they disgraced themselves, Coutinho will be back in the side shortly.

Fantastic performance from Big Phil. Great vision, dribbling, passing, pressing, and even a goal - which was nice to see, as his finishing is the main criticism.

He is becoming a world class player. As is Sturridge. As is Sterling. (We can debate what 'world class' means, but whatever it means, those three players are now there or thereabouts, and there will be more to come from this exciting team that Brendan is putting together).

The bar is being set pretty high, which is as it should be, given the squad options we now have. Lallana and Markovic can now be eased in as they find their level too. Can't wait to see it all unfold this season.