You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

How this technically gifted player is so shit when putting on his shooting boots is beyond me. I think he tries too hard. If he just focuses a tad bit more, and places shots instead of belting them, as he tends to do these days, I'm sure he'd score a hell of a lot more. Oh well, he's still just a baby, and I'm sure Brendan has him on a finishing & composure regime. Together with Allen.

when you're anxious, you tend to get your standing foot in the wrong position relative to the ball - either too far forward or not far enough.  Your body position is wrong, and you'll either not be able to get sufficient power and accuracy in the first instance, or you'll pull the shot in the second.  

It's the least welcome snatch any player can contemplate.

• Upvote 1

I've said it before, but his shooting is very similar in style to mcmanaman. Drags 60% of his shots, another 20% when he gets his foot through the ball it goes over and the last 20% he hits the target.

Despite this, he's got a couple of important goals this season and missed a large part of it with injury. There's still plenty of time for him to end up with 6-8 league goals this season and we get him to target 10-12 next year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Largely I'd say he's been pretty average this season. He has games and shows glimpses in games of how brilliant a talent he is and what a player he will go on to be but he has way too many games were everything he tries fails. He's only young experience will bring a consistent level of brilliance. Some of his brilliant stuff is just unbelievable though when he executes a brilliant through ball or has such quick feet and balance dribbling through players. Great signing.

Brilliant

• Upvote 1

Luis Suarez: Coutinho is the 'difference that makes Liverpool.

tom_thorogood_43491.jpg
1 day ago

Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho was instrumental during the Reds’ 5-1 thrashing of Arsenal.

Brazilian playmaker Philippe Coutinho has been a revelation since joining Liverpool.

The 21-year-old joined the Reds from Inter Milan in January 2012 for a reported fee of £8.5m – or the equivalent of Andy Caroll’s right leg.

Some fans were quite critical at first, believing that a skinny Brazilian who didn’t make much impression in the much slower Serie A was going to struggle to adapt to the fast and furiousPremier League – yet they couldn’t be more wrong.

A typical Brazilian number 10, Coutinho demonstrates trickery, flair, great vision and more importantly an end product – traits which have made him a fans favourite on Merseyside.

With the big clash against the Gunners pegged back to a 12.45pm kick-off, Brazilians and Uruguayans were forced to wake up early to watch their idols in action. For those who overslept, they missed an absolute treat as Liverpool produced arguably the best 20 minutes of football any side has played so far in the Premier League this season.

Philippe Coutinho was a brilliant throughout – linking up beautifully with Suarez and Gerrard before assisting Daniel Sturridge for Liverpool’s fourth with a perfectly weighted pass. Coutinho went on to make three successful dribbles and five key passes – more than any other player on the pitch.

Following the full-time whistle Luis Suarez spoke with ESPN Brazil,saying that Coutinho when on form is the one who can make Liverpool tick:

“When Coutinho’s right, he is the difference that makes Liverpool.

“I guess that he is a very great player and he is showing that he has the quality to play for both Liverpool and in the national team. I’m proud to be playing with him.”

Coutinho reiterated his desire to play in his county’s World Cup this summer, and with performances such as today, it will be difficult for Luis Felipe Scolari to leave him out.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/02/09/tt-luis-suarez-coutinho-is-the-difference-that-makes-liverpool/?

I agree with Luis on this one.

The lads only 21 and still has his best years ahead of him, if he reaches his full potential with us it will be a beautiful thing..

With the big clash against the Gunners pegged back to a 12.45pm kick-off, Brazilians and Uruguayans were forced to wake up early to watch their idols in action

The game started at 10:45 here, not exactly daybreak.

Coutinho was off the boil for a while, with some people saying that it was because he realized he had little chance of being selected. I don't know his real chances - Brazil is pretty deep in players like him - but Felipao is looking for garra, too. When he's on, he's pretty good but his lack of goals was the issue when he was at Vasco and may still be one when the time comes.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Some fans were quite critical? Really? I think his signing was met with resounding approval, unless "some" means code

I'm not 100% sure on his stance, but you could probably include Trucker Paddy on the 'people who would kill Coutinho and his family because Coutinho is so fucking useless' list.

Some fans were quite critical? Really? I think his signing was met with resounding approval, unless "some" means code

I wasn't critical but I was exactly excited either. I think a lot felt the same. 

He was class on Saturday. Played like a player ten years older. I hope he makes the WC squad. 

I think that's quite a big ask.

Kaka and Oscar are certainly ahead of him, and then there's Willian, Lucas Moura, and Neymar who can all play in some of the roles he takes up.  He'll be in the mix together with Ronaldinho, Bernard, Jadson, Hernanes, and Robinho for one of the last spots.  Coutinho is better than some of those names easily, but there will be pressure for Scolari to pick someone based in Brazil and I personally could easily see him being left out.

The interesting spot on that Brazil squad will be defensive midfielder, where Lucas might still have a chance.  There might be (not likely, but possible) a space for him there; Scolari has tried out a lot of options in the squad and still hasn't seemed to settle on any of them for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of calls for this little guy to be dropped for the Saints game but I'd stick with him.  In a tight game he could be the difference in finding that one quality pass.  He has been a bit inconsistent, but I think he'll be a really important player for us in the run in.  I'd stick with him for Saints and leave Joe Allen on the bench.  We've been in blistering form and I'd be reluctant to change the line up despite him struggling against Swansea.  If he's good enough to handle Everton and Arsenal then Saints should be no problem.  He scored there last season, too.

• 1 month later...

Saw him being driven in the queue down Lower Breck Rd in a white people carrier right after the game - heard this big roar from the supporters club behind me - he was giving everyone the thumbs up and grinning ( I'm officially his mate now)

• Upvote 1