You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

On at least two occasions , Sturridge had the chance to play him in , in front of goal -  if he'd scored his confidence would be brimming and some of the plebs on here would be singing his praises .

Give him time for fucksake

I'd guess you're right.  When these imaginary chances do happen, and if he does indeed start taking them, then you'll see Aspas getting praised.  People tend to like forwards that score goals after all.

• Upvote 1

On at least two occasions , Sturridge had the chance to play him in , in front of goal -  if he'd scored his confidence would be brimming and some of the plebs on here would be singing his praises .

Give him time for fucksake

Are you saying people are not allowed to make any judgement based on a players performances during actual games played this season?

I've seen it mentioned Aspas was supposedly good against Stoke, ovbiously another Stoke game than the one I attended at Anfield because in that game he was alarmingly average.

We also hear he had a good pre-season, but I see people fail to mnetion we mostly played amateurs, especially the games when Aspas looked anything else than a squad filler we probably could have made just as good without.

Aspas is slow and he is weak, not a very good combination in the PL, he looks tidy in crowded areas though as he is Spanish and has been brought up to get a better technique than your average PL CB.

He has made a few good passes when the opposition have been standing with a high line, but nothing extraordinary and any half decent player with vision should be able to make the same passes.

Its a bit like those who claim Sterling had a good pre-season as well, just because he scored a few goals when the opposition was defending on the halfway line.

Sadly the season has now started and we will get few opportunities like that.

The less playing time Aspas gets the better it is, the same goes for Sterling by the way.

With Coutinho now out Suarez cant be back soon enough and the scenario we now are facing is the one a few of us pointed out during the summer, we need more players up front as we are just an injury or two away from being extremely average in that departement.

• Upvote 3

Ashley Williams basically assaulted him. It was only a matter of time before he picked up this type of injury he been getting battered every game with no protection from the ref. Shocking but not sup rising he was getting scythed down from behind at least 2 times a game.

• Upvote 1

No doubt that Coutinho has been receiving closer attention from the yard dogs this season, but that’s not surprising given what he spent the back end of last season doing to defenses. He’s going to need to adapt to that, as will others in the team, as the close attention that he is getting will surely be opening up opportunities elsewhere on the pitch.

I’m not writing Aspas off, but nothing I have seen from him so far makes me think that he can play the role in Coutinho’s absence and have us performing at a similar level. Suarez dropping in there is probably the best solution we have, once he is back next week.

Interesting to see what we do tomorrow, but have a feeling that it may be Sterling given the job of playing behind Sturridge, with Henderson and Moses out wide, as they were against Swansea. Luis Alberto was played in that role in the u21 game this week and scored 3 times (albeit one from the pen) so I guess there’s a chance that he’ll be given a go against Southampton.

Big shoes to fill whoever gets the job.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-coutinho-johnson-allen-cissokho-2416784

According to this article along with the expected returns of Johnson, Cissokho and Allen, the little genius may be back saturday, however it seems that the article maybe basing the Coutinho one on a tweet about being back soon so saturday may be a little optimistic

But remembering the 6-0 last season and the only time I've seen Newcastle aside from highlights this season was against Everton where they looked defensively hopeless the thought of Coutinho behind Sturridge and Suarez against them is quite mouthwatering

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

When he starts adding goals he'll be one of the best in the business. I fuckin love him

Yeah, and you can just tell he does have that potential. It's something he has in his locker, to get goals and many more assists. I think he needs to be central, though.

I don't think he has hit anywhere near top form yet this season, still been very good obviously but if the rest of the lads keep up their current form when Coutinho hits his best we'll be fucking scary going forward

Agree. He's still a little below his best, but the last few games have been better. I'm a bit annoyed about his shooting not being up the the same standard as his ball control and passing.

I'd also say his final ball has been off this season, by his high standards.  He has over hit a lot of passes.

He's brilliant right up until the final pass or shot.  But we know he can do it, it is only a matter of time when he starts hitting top form.

I'd also say his final ball has been off this season, by his high standards.  He has over hit a lot of passes.

He's brilliant right up until the final pass or shot.  But we know he can do it, it is only a matter of time when he starts hitting top form.

He's also laid a few on a plate that some of his team mates have fucked up.