You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

They want to play for Barcelona or Madrid because those two normally win everything in Spain and you are guaranteed every year to qualify for the CL as well as have a very good chance of winning the trophy. Plus they have a break in the winter while in England you play every 2 or 3 days over Christmas. Brazilians are attracted to playing in England because of the competition and money but they dont seem to like the lifestyle.

Tim Vickery who writes for BBC about South American football says a lot of South American players find it difficult to settle in England because they are used to their clubs doing virtually everything for them and they do in Spain as well as Italy. From what i remember he said that Hernan Crespo moaned that Chelsea did virtually nothing for him when they bought him. Even though he probably expected someone from Chelsea to drive out to his house, wipe his arse and go the shops for him.

If you look at photos of most of the South American players Liverpool have had basically they didn't do anything in the winter months apart from go round to each others houses for dinner or with their families and it goes dark at 3.30. Whereas in Spain it is still warm and you can take your kids out because it isnt pissing down and fucking freezing every day. Plus you get a nice little holiday in the winter.

We need to stop viewing these players through fans eyes. It's a job.

How many here would move jobs for more money, better conditions and worldwide acclaim?

Some of these players don't even like football. They just happen to be good at it. 

• Upvote 2

Yes it is a job. No problem with Phil wanting to go, however there was no need to act the cunt. 

The major issue I have is selling mid season.

If we had have had a player lined up, who could play in the CL then fair enough

If we had have had a player lined up, who could not play CL, whilst not happy I could see the benefits (get one out who could disrupt, one bedded in for league assault next season)

Too sell and have no one lined up, is disgraceful and stinks of book balancing. 

Teams wanting to be successful do not sell their important players mid season, as we are finding out. 

No doubt when we don't buy anyone this window it will be because of the other clubs nasty owners.

Yes it is a job. No problem with Phil wanting to go, however there was no need to act the cunt.

The major issue I have is selling mid season.

If we had have had a player lined up, who could play in the CL then fair enough

If we had have had a player lined up, who could not play CL, whilst not happy I could see the benefits (get one out who could disrupt, one bedded in for league assault next season)

Too sell and have no one lined up, is disgraceful and stinks of book balancing.

Teams wanting to be successful do not sell their important players mid season, as we are finding out.

No doubt when we don't buy anyone this window it will be because of the other clubs nasty owners.

Get with the programme. Other club's nasty owners are so 2016, we're now onto Klopp didn't want to buy.

I was watching Guillem Balague interview Lallana and Henderson the other day and he asked them something along the lines of "do you ever pinch yourself that you're at such a prestigious football club?" and they looked at each other in disbelief like the thought had never crossed their minds.

If our English players treat the club with such nonchalance you can't expect a Brazilian that grew up dreaming of being Ronaldinho to care. 

I agree that he'll be badly missed but that says more about our lack of quality than his ability. Said it before but he'd be on the bench in Rafa's best sides.

I think people are making too much of it too in terms of the FSG and ambition etc, the game is such now that there's only three or four clubs with any real clout and a seemingly ever shrinking pool of decent players to choose from. This is just the latest example of what happens when tbose two sad footballing facts combine.

He wanted to go, Barca pretty much always get their own way, we did well to hang onto him as long as we did, we'll miss him in the short term but not the long, thems the facts m'lud.

Let's build a team of predominantly Africans and we can be the dream team for African kids... The reality is Real and Barca have got the monopoly on the best Latin/South American/Iberian players, especially when it comes to their peak years. It's shit when every one you sign you wonder if you're a stepping stone and they're going to behave like arseholes as soon as they look in their direction. It's time to turn Africa red.

I agree that he'll be badly missed but that says more about our lack of quality than his ability. Said it before but he'd be on the bench in Rafa's best sides.

I think people are making too much of it too in terms of the FSG and ambition etc, the game is such now that there's only three or four clubs with any real clout and a seemingly ever shrinking pool of decent players to choose from. This is just the latest example of what happens when tbose two sad footballing facts combine.

He wanted to go, Barca pretty much always get their own way, we did well to hang onto him as long as we did, we'll miss him in the short term but not the long, thems the facts m'lud.

Crazy talk. He'd walk into Rafa's best side.

• Upvote 2

Let's build a team of predominantly Africans and we can be the dream team for African kids... The reality is Real and Barca have got the monopoly on the best Latin/South American/Iberian players, especially when it comes to their peak years. It's shit when every one you sign you wonder if you're a stepping stone and they're going to behave like arseholes as soon as they look in their direction. It's time to turn Africa red.

we've done it before, though even I wasn't born when that kicked off.

People are talking like we’re not bringing anyone else in this month. We don’t know this for definite though do we?

No we dont know that we aren't for sure,but there is some well deserved scepticism from past endeavours that we won't bring anybody else in. I think we definitely do need more players and I am hopeful we will sign one or two before the end of the transfer window.

No we dont know that we aren't for sure,but there is some well deserved scepticism from past endeavours that we won't bring anybody else in. I think we definitely do need more players and I am hopeful we will sign one or two before the end of the transfer window.

Indeed I’m not gutted about HIM so much like I was when Torres went but we are looking light if no one else comes in.

We wait and see, VVD came as a surprise last week so they could be working on someone else right now.

And Jurgen is content to wait and sign the right player rather than anyone or 2nd 3rd choices. People need to have faith in the managers decisions and become believers. But it still seems he is fighting a losing battle at Liverpool with some.

And Jurgen is content to wait and sign the right player rather than anyone or 2nd 3rd choices. People need to have faith in the managers decisions and become believers. But it still seems he is fighting a losing battle at Liverpool with some.

It is quite astonishing how many people on this forum have more knowledge and experience managing successful football teams than our current manager.

Similarly, for all their faults (and they have several) it's amazing how many people know how to run a sports team better than our existing owners.

The solution, according to some, is to just find our own sugar daddy a la City, Chelsea, PSG and just chuck billions at it.

People seem to have very short memories when it comes to our ownership - while they aren't perfect, be careful what you wish for.

It is quite astonishing how many people on this forum have more knowledge and experience managing successful football teams than our current manager.

Similarly, for all their faults (and they have several) it's amazing how many people know how to run a sports team better than our existing owners.

The solution, according to some, is to just find our own sugar daddy a la City, Chelsea, PSG and just chuck billions at it.

People seem to have very short memories when it comes to our ownership - while they aren't perfect, be careful what you wish for.

This exact same reasoning could be used to justify Rodgers signing Lambert and Balotelli to replace Suarez or Kenny signing Carroll and Downing. Just because someone is a manager or an owner doesn't mean that they are infallible. 

Klopp backed Moreno, Lovren and Mignolet when he arrived. Every fan knew that was a mistake because we've watched the shit cunts for years.

• Upvote 2

This exact same reasoning could be used to justify Rodgers signing Lambert and Balotelli to replace Suarez or Kenny signing Carroll and Downing. Just because someone is a manager or an owner doesn't mean that they are infallible.

Klopp backed Moreno, Lovren and Mignolet when he arrived. Every fan knew that was a mistake because we've watched the shit cunts for years.

Rodgers and Kenny lived and died by those decisions, as will Klopp by his.

The players Klopp 'stuck by' got us to a Europa League final and into the Champions League.

While it's easy to play Championship Manager from behind a keyboard, it's a bit trickier in real life - maybe, just maybe, he knows a bit more than us...

• Upvote 1