You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

hang on. Isn't this just PR? Or does that only work one way?

Could be. Tell me, does it only work one way for you?

I don't really think they'd have had to go for 3 weeks to make it look a genuine injury by the way but of course he may make a miracle recovery after 1 week, we'll see.

Just like we'll see if FSG spend the money.

There's still something about this that doesn't add up to me. The official story would appear to be - it hit January, he got an injury, Barca registered their interest again, he reiterated his view to go, we tried to convince him to stay (whatever that means), decided he wasn't worth the hassle and a deal was done and dusted within a few days. However, when you factor in the Nike stuff, the secret Santa stuff, etc, it just strikes me that there's a part of this story we're not being told.

Could be. Tell me, does it only work one way for you?

I don't really think they'd have had to go for 3 weeks to make it look a genuine injury by the way but of course he may make a miracle recovery after 1 week, we'll see.

Just like we'll see if FSG spend the money.

nope, I'm able to apply my scepticism both ways.  Perhaps that's the difference between you and I on this.

The lad contributed £11m of his own money, £9m up front with the rest to follow to make the deal happen this window. If that alone does not tell people he was committed to leaving this window I do not know what does.

You'd have thought FSG would have just let him off because they, you know, have allowed Barcelona to do them up the bum.

The whole story around all of this is one of PR and counter PR.  

nope, I'm able to apply my scepticism both ways. Perhaps that's the difference between you and I on this.

Scepticism both ways, on Coutinho's injury? For a start I've said "if true" and suggested he might make a "miraculous" recovery after a week. Not sure what words you wanted me to use to further display scepticism.

I really didn't want to believe Coutinho was faking an injury and I'm glad on this occasion the injury has (apparently) been proven to being genuine. He's a nice lad but has a scumbag advisor and Barcelona are shitbags who always want to unsettle their targets and Phil comes across as a naive person who is easily manipulated. 

Scepticism both ways, on Coutinho's injury? For a start I've said "if true" and suggested he might make a "miraculous" recovery after a week. Not sure what words you wanted me to use to further display scepticism.

I think he'll be out for three weeks.  There's no point in creating any more hassle for the sake of a few games.  I don't think he's injured though.

I really didn't want to believe Coutinho was faking an injury and I'm glad on this occasion the injury has been proven to being genuine. He's a nice lad but has a scumbag advisor and Barcelona are shitbags who always want to unsettle their targets and Phil comes across as a naive person who is easily manipulated. 

If you believe the injury was genuine, then you believe he's just been manipulated into parting with 11million of his own money to chivvy this sale along.  Phil's easily manipulated alright.

The whole story around all of this is one of PR and counter PR.

Yes and yes again. But you don't seem to be applying any of that to FSG, it seems like as far as you're concerned (if I've read your posts right) it was 100% Klopp's decision, with little or no suggestion of scepticism towards FSG or their PR.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I cant see the front 3 working as well without him, he was a huge part of oir attack and was in sensational form.

Mane needs to step up and someone must come in.

I am amazed he didnt want a good go at the cl with us. It just shows he doesnt care.

The Van Dijk debut detracted from a dearth of incisive attacks on Friday night.

But Salah was out and Mane was just off the plane, so we'll see how they fare against a City side that won't park the bus. Clearly, Lallana is now an even bigger player for us.

I don't think Coutinho didn't care, I think he was just petrified of the Barcelona move never happening if he didn't go now, and I'm sure they exploited that in their discussions with him.

Yes and yes again. But you don't seem to be applying any of that to FSG, it seems like as far as you're concerned (if I've read your posts right) it was 100% Klopp's decision, with little or no suggestion of scepticism towards FSG or their PR.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.  

But I don't believe that FSG are the unalloyed devil incarnate that others do.  I think on this one Klopp has been given a decision to make, and he's made it.  FSG aren't here as a charity, they are here to see a large return on their investment.  I don't think FSG are prepared to throw more money than we earn at the problem.  As Woolster showed last week, they are not siphoning money out of the club.  Not yet anyway.  I do believe there is money for Klopp to spend this window, should he want to.  If he doesn't, I don't believe that is FSG's fault.

I also don't think that Klopp would have taken on a job if he had no realistic chance of receiving funding to at least give us a chance of being successful, but there are some who look at Klopp (like Coutinho, and others before him), as some naive yokel who has been done up like a kipper by some conniving dastardly people.  It's a lovely simple worldview that makes it easy to distinguish your goodies from your baddies, but perhaps people need to stop watching cowboy films.

• Upvote 1

Which is a worry; I realise (hope) at least part of it is lack of match fitness, but he has looked seriously ropey since he came back.

He's had one really good patch with us, and Klopp might get him back there, but was not a creative spark, he's a toiler with a good touch from the ample hair on his head right down to his toes

I honestly think Keita is intended to be Coutinho's replacement which is why I think the rest of the season might be a chore. We need Mane and OxChamb to step up.

I also don't think that Klopp would have taken on a job if he had no realistic chance of receiving funding to at least give us a chance of being successful, but there are some who look at Klopp (like Coutinho, and others before him), as some naive yokel who has been done up like a kipper by some conniving dastardly people.  It's a lovely simple worldview that makes it easy to distinguish your goodies from your baddies, but perhaps people need to stop watching cowboy films.

Patronising guff.

It's possible to acknowledge the constraints Klopp is working under without perceiving him as a "naive yokel", and at the same time bear frustration towards our mingebag owners.

No and no.

I don't see how that helps us, though.  You said yourself on the MF that if he we sold him then "surely" it meant we were signing Thomas Lemar.  Hello, Thomas, where are you?

I'm fine with him being sold, I'm not fine with no replacement.

I'm fine with Klopp doing what Klopp wants to do. If it fails, it's on him. If he cannot buy, then we've got a problem.

You're wrong.  

But I don't believe that FSG are the unalloyed devil incarnate that others do.  I think on this one Klopp has been given a decision to make, and he's made it.  FSG aren't here as a charity, they are here to see a large return on their investment.  I don't think FSG are prepared to throw more money than we earn at the problem.  As Woolster showed last week, they are not siphoning money out of the club.  Not yet anyway.  I do believe there is money for Klopp to spend this window, should he want to.  If he doesn't, I don't believe that is FSG's fault.

I think you and I are the only ones on here that remember what they are, Stringy.

At least upgrade the reference to, say, Star Wars.  Even I plan to watch that one day.

He's had one really good patch with us, and Klopp might get him back there, but was not a creative spark, he's a toiler with a good touch from the ample hair on his head right down to his toes

I honestly think Keita is intended to be Coutinho's replacement which is why I think the rest of the season might be a chore. We need Mane and OxChamb to step up.

The most skilful player Klopp has worked with, Adam is.  Best feet in the team.  

• Downvote 1