You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

So you want a Man City sugar daddy?

FSG has done nothing wrong here as, and I hope you understand this, Coutinho wanted to leave.

No sense keeping him and it was left up to Klopp.

They may not have done anything wrong in this window but they sure as shit have created an environment where this type of thing will be the norm. They have under invested in the squad for years allowing us to drift and have no intention of competing. We all know salah will be next. We should be able to spend far more than we have been and it’s all just PR from their side linking us with players that would help but ultimately never getting it through “but at least we tried”

At this point people say “but they spent big on VVD” but we can assume they have only done so knowing that coutinho would be off. Same when Suarez left us. We have no realistic intention of competing anymore bar an implosion of those around us and us playing well above ourselves.

Klopp may relish the challenge but ultimately he’s being set up for failure by not being given the tools the squad needs. The game has changed and money is required.

Nobody is blaming Klopp and FSG for selling him, they are blaming them both - and Liverpool as a whole - for not preparing better and buying a replacement.

They have three weeks to rectify that, but given their previous (see: the last four transfer windows) and the noises coming out of the club, people don’t have faith in the club to do what is necessary to make us a genuine force *this* season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or Klopp felt keeping a player and putting him back into the team after twice faking injuries,trying to force a move and generally being a bit of a cunt would hurt both team morale and hurt make him look a bit of a push over. I have always felt he made a point with Sakho acting the dick on the US trip and singled him out as he was not in his long term plans and was not going to let one man override his authority over the squad and he probably felt the same here.

• Upvote 1

Do you think FSG should overrule Klopp on player matters? Genuine question, if Klopp has enough and decided he wanted him out and to cash in, should FSG tell him no?

No and no.

I don't see how that helps us, though.  You said yourself on the MF that if he we sold him then "surely" it meant we were signing Thomas Lemar.  Hello, Thomas, where are you?

I'm fine with him being sold, I'm not fine with no replacement. 

Have you seen VVD take a free kick from 30 yards?

Think we’re ok mate.

Oh right.  I'll look forward to Virgil skinning several players and banging one in from open play, too. Then threading an eye of the needle pass through to Salah.  

I’m hoping we see some intelligent play in and around the box rather than watch the ball disappear into the top tier of various stands, or watching us lose the ball because our player has again run into a blind alley and got cheaply dispossessed instead of making the right decision on the pass. Swings and roundabouts. Coutinho played really well this year, but let’s not pretend that everything he did was great.

I’m hoping we see some intelligent play in and around the box rather than watch the ball disappear into the top tier of various stands, or watching us lose the ball because our player has again run into a blind alley and got cheaply dispossessed instead of making the right decision on the pass. Swings and roundabouts. Coutinho played really well this year, but let’s not pretend that everything he did was great.

Aye, Barca have paid £142m for a donkey.  

• Upvote 1

Funnily enough I think the consequence of him leaving will be lots of that kind of shite. Yes he did revert to that the odd time when he had an off day but on form there was no better creative player in the team.

If we sign nobody as expected I'm looking forward to loads of ultra telegraphed Hendo and Ox chips over the defence that never lead to anything but the gloves of the opposition goalie.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Adam?  Not the fat Stoke one.

I find it bizarre that there are people pointing the blame at Klopp and FSG for selling Phil. He didn’t want to be here ffs. Feigned injury twice before our opening game and before a derby. Anyone else doing this in the team would have been bombed out.

As diplomatic as we've been he's effectively gone on strike twice.

Let's not forget a clearly coordinated campaign from his representatives in league with Barcelona. What was the timing of that first transfer request again? For that matter the timing of successive bids in August.

Where I can see fault with FSG is not signing off a deal last summer insisting on a season long commitment from him. This would have avoided the inevitable in January even if it had been for a lower fee it would have avoided the disruption to our season and allowed us to plan for replacements this summer.

It's clearly a gamble now that Klopp can get us over the line this season.

This is Klopp having faith (some might argue too much faith) in his ability to get this squad over performing even without Coutinho, his ability to get AOC and Lallana over performing and his belief that he can still lead us to a top 4 finish with what he has.

You have to admire his confidence/self belief/faith in his players and his methods and fair do's to him he has backed it up before but for my money it is a really big gamble and one i am not sure he will pull off.

It would be some achievement to get this squad minus Coutinho a top 4 finish/go deep into European Cup/maybe win FA cup.

Our midfield options already often look really slim, an injury in there and any significant loss to any of Firmino, Mane and Salah and we are threadbare.

Klopp believes in what he is doing and didn't want Coutinho staying and I for one don't see a replacement coming in so let's see if Klopp's belief is justified.

If we do miss Top 4 then it will be even harder to attract more quality next summer IMO.

Bit strange that some people don't think we'll miss him that much. I think Coutinho leaves a huge hole. He was our main playmaker, our best passer, best dribbler, best shooter from distance, best free kick and set pieces taker by a mile. Yes we have an excellent front 3 but Coutinho was instrumental in the success of their play. Who will replace what he brought to our attack? 

I hope we have someone lined up in this window to replace him. Coutinho's departure will cause a big disruption to the way we play so we need someone who can come in and bring some of those same qualities.

If we do miss Top 4 then it will be even harder to attract more quality next summer IMO.

Which will be a convenient excuse for FSG not spending this windfall plus two consecutive seasons with a substantial turnover boost from the recent TV deal.

I forget where it was mentioned but our turnover for the current financial year is likely to be over £400 million? 

Bit strange that some people don't think we'll miss him that much. I think Coutinho leaves a huge hole. He was our main playmaker, our best passer, best dribbler, best shooter from distance, best free kick and set pieces taker by a mile. Yes we have an excellent front 3 but Coutinho was instrumental in the success of their play. Who will replace what he brought to our attack? 

I hope we have someone lined up in this window to replace him. Coutinho's departure will cause a big disruption to the way we play so we need someone who can come in and bring some of those same qualities.

I think the mistake a lot of people are making is assuming Klopp thinks like they do and we have to play in exactly the same way was we did before; i.e. feed the ball to the same player in the mf all the time.  There were plenty of teams who had worked Coutinho out just by preventing him getting on his right foot, and in those games, we'd invariably see a subdued performance.  

I think a more dynamically aggressive, as well as creative midfield, will be the order of the day, especially when Keita gets here.  I think the introduction of VVD will allow us to play more compact and further up the field, and if somehow we could find a decent goalie, we'll be a stronger and more balanced team than we've been since Klopp arrived.

I'm optimistic.

I think the mistake a lot of people are making is assuming Klopp thinks like they do and we have to play in exactly the same way was we did before; i.e. feed the ball to the same player in the mf all the time.  There were plenty of teams who had worked Coutinho out just by preventing him getting on his right foot, and in those games, we'd invariably see a subdued performance.  

I think a more dynamically aggressive, as well as creative midfield, will be the order of the day, especially when Keita gets here.  I think the introduction of VVD will allow us to play more compact and further up the field, and if somehow we could find a decent goalie, we'll be a stronger and more balanced team than we've been since Klopp arrived.

I'm optimistic.

I'm not,  Coutinho if anything looked a better player this season . He was still scoring goals despite teams knowing his cut in from the left routine off by heart. 

Our record in replacing star players is abysmal over recent years. VVD is not going to solve our keeper issues. 

Sky News: Coutinho completes his medical but will be out for 3 weeks with the thigh injury.

If true, puts a different slant on the suggestions he was faking injury to get the move this month. Maybe he wasn't as much of a disruptive so and so the journalists would have us believe.

Sky News: Coutinho completes his medical but will be out for 3 weeks with the thigh injury.

If true, puts a different slant on the suggestions he was faking injury to get the move this month. Maybe he wasn't as much of a disruptive so and so the journalists would have us believe.

If we didn't replace Phil this window and somehow manged to acquire a keeper that was worthy of the name I would be more relaxed .As it is I think losing Phil will tell on our performances especially when we suffer a few injuries ,  

hang on.  Isn't this just PR?  Or does that only work one way?