You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Would be a mistake to do that. His value will increase in the summer. They did it with Keita because his contract expires. We've got another 4 years with Coutinho.

Yeah agree but i think it is the obly way we will think we can placate him (not that we should have to) and get the 2nd half of the season out of him.

Yeah agree but i think it is the obly way we will think we can placate him (not that we should have to) and get the 2nd half of the season out of him.

True. It's all going to come down to the offer. If its around 150 inclusive of realistic add ons then it's going to be squeaky bum time. If we do agree to sell him, I think he'll be off now rather than a deal for him to leave in the summer.

Wish they'd just get on with it......

No, I don't see this being an issue myself. I'm sure some are pissed off with him to some extent but I can't see it having a detrimental effect on the squad in the way you suggest. Everyone knows it's all a game. Plus what sort of impact on squad morale does selling him now have?

It’s not just about whether we sell him now or in the summer. He will be sold at some point. I don’t really care when we do it.

My problem is with the shenanigans that are being trotted out by the player and by Barca to try to bring the price down and that we should be grateful that he has played well.

I know they all talk shite and give platitudes when things are going their way, but nobody forced him to sign a new deal without a clause to buyout.

He has a market value, they know what it is, pay it or fuck off.

He should be more grateful to LFC than we are to him.

Philippe Coutinho’s mega-money move from Liverpool to Barcelona has ‘entered its final stage’, according to reports in Spain.

Barcelona-based newspaper SPORT, citing their own sources, claim the deal will be completed on Friday.

Read more at https://talksport.com/football/philippe-coutinho-latest-liverpool-stars-move-barcelona-has-entered-its-final-stage#6EhkM1uePHEdtPRy.99

Philippe Coutinho’s mega-money move from Liverpool to Barcelona has ‘entered its final stage’, according to reports in Spain.

Barcelona-based newspaper SPORT, citing their own sources, claim the deal will be completed on Friday.

Read more at https://talksport.com/football/philippe-coutinho-latest-liverpool-stars-move-barcelona-has-entered-its-final-stage#6EhkM1uePHEdtPRy.99

I hope is true. The sooner it's over the better.

There’s a sense in which we all want the relief of it being over, but on the other hand, that’s exactly what Barcelona want from us. We should hold firm and not let the player leave this month. Do a deal for summer, if the terms are acceptable to the club, but we’ve got our own season going on, and Coutinho is a vital part of that.

Too much to lose if we have a dip, post-Coutinho.

So no, hold the line. He doesn’t go until summer.

• Upvote 1

The thing I am confused about is this idea of klopp's that he has to go to maintain dressing room harmony. It seems to me by caving into Coutinho's demands like this, you are saying to every player in the squad, if you want out, fake injury and put in a transfer request and we'll bomb you no matter what. I just don't see the long term benefit in taking it up the arse if there's no replacements lined up. Aside from a desire to picket the cash. "It'll be a big summer"

The thing I am confused about is this idea of klopp's that he has to go to maintain dressing room harmony. It seems to me by caving into Coutinho's demands like this, you are saying to every player in the squad, if you want out, fake injury and put in a transfer request and we'll bomb you no matter what. I just don't see the long term benefit in taking it up the arse if there's no replacements lined up. Aside from a desire to picket the cash. "It'll be a big summer"

he's not left yet Barry, you will just have to wait and see before stringing everyone up by their short and curlies.

saying to every player in the squad, if you want out, fake injury and put in a transfer request and we'll bomb you no matter what. 

He is saying exactly that - except you forgot the part about being one of the best players in the league as well as having the third most expensive fee ever.

So it will be difficult for others to use this strategy

Yup, we've loads of world class players and a great history of replacing them.

We have an even greater history of keeping want away world class players.

If he's going to go, I want it over by the end of the week, rather than another protracted saga, him being injured until February and then eased back into the team until he hits top form by early Aprill. And leaves anyway in July. 

We have an even greater history of keeping want away world class players.

If he's going to go, I want it over by the end of the week, rather than another protracted saga, him being injured until February and then eased back into the team until he hits top form by early Aprill. And leaves anyway in July. 

Do we?  I don't recall too many we've not sold...for less than we should too for that matter.  Since I'm not old enough to remember Rush, we've failed to replace every one of them since.

Do we?  I don't recall too many we've not sold...for less than we should too for that matter.  Since I'm not old enough to remember Rush, we've failed to replace every one of them since.

No we don't, it was an ironic reply to your ironic statement.

I've come round to the belief that we've told Barcelona we're agreeable to sell - and they'll have to pay a massively inflated price now to secure his release at the mid-point of the season, or at a more realistic price in the summer but with the added risk that a good World Cup might see them stuck in a bidding war. They're not flush with cash particularly at the moment, so they'll respond in the only way they know how: haggling through media. All we're hearing at the moment is the noise that their pals in the Catalan press are flooding the airwaves with. They'll hope this circus'll convince Phil that his dream move is only one more big sulk away, and that it'll turn us Liverpool fans against him and get us all thinking "fuck it and get rid - anything to get this fucking big top out of town, he's a sulky little bastard anyway."

They could just come and slap the money on the table now, EFC-style, and he'd be theirs. But they either don't have it, or it'll wipe their transfer budget out in a single stroke so they're desperately trying to lower his value through shenanigans. So fuck it, I'm just not engaging with it.

• Upvote 2

Torres to Suarez was pretty sweet

Dampened by the fact, FSG tried to spin it as if we were buying Suarez anyway and bad old Torres wanted out so we had to sell and buy Carroll.

On the face of it, Torres and Suarez are the two of the best deals the club has ever done.

I hope is true. The sooner it's over the better.

I don't understand why we should rush it through. It's not like we've only got a squad of 16 players. He's got 4.5 years left on his contract. Demand an eye watering fee and sit back and wait for it. Don't, in any way, compromise with them. 

He is saying exactly that - except you forgot the part about being one of the best players in the league as well as having the third most expensive fee ever.

So it will be difficult for others to use this strategy

I'm not sure salah would struggle too much to warrant the same fee this summer. He seems the perfect Ronaldo replacement to me.

Dampened by the fact, FSG tried to spin it as if we were buying Suarez anyway and bad old Torres wanted out so we had to sell and buy Carroll.

On the face of it, Torres and Suarez are the two of the best deals the club has ever done.

nah.  We won fuck all with either of them.  Compare that to Clemence, Keegan, Rush, Dalglish, even Aldridge won a league with us.  There are 20 better buys than those.  

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why we should rush it through. It's not like we've only got a squad of 16 players. He's got 4.5 years left on his contract. Demand an eye watering fee and sit back and wait for it. Don't, in any way, compromise with them. 

Yes, I don't want us to push him out or accept a lowballing offer, I just hope they offer us what we see as acceptable sooner rather than later and we can move on. I have accepted the fact that he will leave. I want the tooth extracted now, don't want to walk around with toothache for two weeks first. If we have to wait, then of course we'll have to wait, I would just prefer it's done quickly,.