You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Meh. Not even arsed about him anymore. What will be, will be. Massive game that's far more important than him being played tomorrow.

He just doesn't rate for me at all in terms of loss. I think he's skilful but he's not in the same league as players who we've lost before, I think our dependency on him and the amount he'll go for say more about the dearth of quality, any quality, around at the moment.

In a sense it's the same as Van Dyke. Do I suspect he's in the same league as a Hyppia or a Hansen? No, is he the best of what's out there? Probably yes.

Even if Coutinho had stayed here 10 years though i could never imagine him being viewed with our very best of even the last couple of decades, I just don't see him in that calibre.

• Upvote 1

If they get good enough, all top players we have would leave at the drop of a hat, no matter their personalities. It's like the food chain. We are a level below the true elite clubs and the ambitions of the greatest players is to play for these sides and be the top dog. What Coutinho is doing isn't surprising, he's just being a douche about it. 

b6c4aee2b716e18147681fbe57a3cbf4.jpg

Also...

Coutinho believes he has played his last game for the club – he thought the same in the summer before Liverpool dug in – and he is willing to forgo Champions League football in the second half of the season to make the switch. (Paul Joyce)

hes had about 5 clubs since Coutinho last moved. It suggests to me he's unlikely to hang around here too.

I think people's opinions are based on

A. He's not South American, so doesn't have the genetic predisposition to want to play for Barca or Real.

B. He's been tossed about between a few clubs but has finally hit his stride here, so would be more likely to stay at a team which plays to his strengths. Rather than gamble on another move where he may lose that form, then end up shifted on yet again when he isn't an immediate success.