You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I know some of you don't believe in Rodgers the way I do, and I'll begrudgingly admit that he doesn't have the storied past we're used to in our manager, but what is undeniable is that he's a very highly respected and experienced coach.

Even if you don't think Rodgers is a good manager, surely you must be excited that we're looking to get this kid, who has stagnated a bit at Inter, but once was possibly the most exciting young South American prospect available. If he can help coach him - sorry, 'educate' him - then we might well have quite a player on our hands.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This will get me flamed, but I'd have preferred we'd gone for Ince. He is a goal threat and they are few and far between in our squad never mind first team.

Is Coutinho not a goal threat? I'd say he has the potential to be a much bigger goal threat than Ince.

Scoring in the Championship isn't the same as scoring in the Premiership (obviously!). Pace will get you goals in the Championship, but won't in the Premiership.

Charlie Adam scored 18 goals in the Championship, which was more than Andy Carroll in the same season. They were both outscored by Nicky Maynard and Peter Wittingham.

Opinions respected, and all that, but I'm really glad that it's looking like Coutinho over Ince.

ForzaInterForums has a mammoth sized thread on Coutinho. A bit interesting to read reviews of his first appearance for Inter (approximately page 64).

I have skimmed through the 200-page thread, which makes a interesting read. At the beginning, Inter fans are mad happy. They're assured they've signed the next Kaka. Something that, just in a few days, turns into crazy excessive expectations. The young lad is compared to Zidane, Zico and Pelé from a bunch of Youtube clips. Coutinho still impresses in his first match, with a good eye for the game, excellent first touch on the ball and tidy passing game.

When the league debut emerges he is undeniably to lightweight, falling to the ground to often and "lacking Patos end product" (he is consistently compared with Milan's Pato). He gets less and less playing time, and in addition, he soon picks up an injury which sees him sidelined for three months.

After the injury, he's back, straight out of a Milanese spors gym, 10 pounds heavier, pure muscle.

The next indication is that he's in fact a very good player, one of the few that offers Inter little creativity. Self-confidence is not the best though, and Rafa's game clicks. What often happens, with Coutinho as their only creative player, is that he is marked out of matches.

Rafa's soon fucked off and Coutinho get less playing time. Fans are upset. Suddenly Coutinho is loaned out to Spanish Espanyol, and things start to move in the right direction. He scores five goals in something like fifteen matches. In addition to that he's voted man of the match two times. Please note that the guy just arrived at a new club, and is still only 19-20 years.

Just in time for the Coutinhos big comeback, the Inter fans learns that he most likely is for sale. This pisses them off full-time since the've waited patiently, year after year, to see him flourish in the club.

They can't believe he is for sale. Some of them wants to riot, others are tired of the whole saga and ready to get rid just to stop debating Coutinho.

I don't know much about him other than some odd youtube highlights a few years back but the Inter fans on that forum link on the last page seem well pissed off that Inter would be selling. One even went so far as to claim that his price would be far more inflated if he was playing for a first team in Brazil (I.E. - £20m+)

Hopefully they know what they're talking about and this goes through.

I don't think us signing him, or not signing him, has anything to do with the Ince deal though, from what I understand Blackpool basically want us to cover the sell on clause percentage that we agreed to if we were to buy him, and we won't. The ball is in their hands on that one.

Edited by Saintslfc13

You have a Brazilian/Portuguese username, so I'm taking your word for it.

I live in Brazil these days and used to live in Rio, so used to watch quite a bit of him, though the standard of league football here is not all that great.

We'll see if he can adapt. Could be a real coup or could be one of those players who, after two tries at big European clubs, goes back to Brazil in a couple of years, filed under 'What might have been'.

I know some of you don't believe in Rodgers the way I do, and I'll begrudgingly admit that he doesn't have the storied past we're used to in our manager, but what is undeniable is that he's a very highly respected and experienced coach.

Even if you don't think Rodgers is a good manager, surely you must be excited that we're looking to get this kid, who has stagnated a bit at Inter, but once was possibly the most exciting young South American prospect available. If he can help coach him - sorry, 'educate' him - then we might well have quite a player on our hands.

Amen to that, brother. I reckon we've got a gem in Brendan. If he gets his players in and everyone is pulling in the same direction then we could have the team I've wanted for the past 15 years. Rafa came close but didn't quite get there in the end but I think with Rodgers, given time, we could be world beaters.

Amen to that, brother. I reckon we've got a gem in Brendan. If he gets his players in and everyone is pulling in the same direction then we could have the team I've wanted for the past 15 years. Rafa came close but didn't quite get there in the end but I think with Rodgers, given time, we could be world beaters.

I hope you're right but you do realise that to better Rafa we'll have to win the Champions League and the Premiership...a very very tall order from where we are at the moment.

It would be a fucking minor miracle

I hope you're right but you do realise that to better Rafa we'll have to win the Champions League and the Premiership...a very very tall order from where we are at the moment.

It would be a fucking minor miracle

Well, Rafa won the champions league with the likes of Biscan and Traore playing major roles. I don't think Rodgers can better that. What I meant is I think he can build a really top class side, if given time. A side that can challenge for major honours every year. I have a lot of faith in the man.

Well, Rafa won the champions league with the likes of Biscan and Traore playing major roles. I don't think Rodgers can better that. What I meant is I think he can build a really top class side, if given time. A side that can challenge for major honours every year. I have a lot of faith in the man.

Aye but he also had gerrard in his absolute prime who dragged us through that tournament kicking and screaming.

Fair enough

I really hope you are right but firmly remain in the undecided/lets see what happens given time etc