You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

And it's started, right on cue.

So the owners went over Klopp's head in the summer and decided to make a stand for a matter of, ooh, 4 months. Yet now, when the stakes are higher and the behaviour from Nike/Barcelona is even worse, the owners don't want to make a stand any more. Hmm something smells fishy.

So when Coutinho is gone and we don't fully reinvest it will no doubt be back to "Klopp doesn't want to spend".

Klopp said himself this summer that Coutinho staying was simply a matter of timing as it was too late to close a suitable alternative. 

I think that's a perfectly believable situation. Don't think it's been badly handled or that it's anyone's fault. 

I personally wouldn't sell him this month, but if there is time to get someone in and Klopp approves the sale, then so be it. I certainly didn't think it would happen in Jan, but I guess I underestimated how much Coutinho wants to go to Barca. 

I think he plays best when he's unhappy.

Ask yourself, why wouldn't FSG have sold Klopp in the summer?

Ask yourself, is it just possible that Klopp might have been badgering them to sell this January after getting fed up?

Possible but unlikely. Fed up of what, his brilliant form? Or maybe Klopp thought he didn't do well enough when he made him captain and is a bit fed up with him for that?

I believe that FSG would have only made a stand in the summer to save face temporarily, when the massive VVD deal fell through they knew it would have been very difficult to sell our biggest asset that same window. Now they've spent some money on VVD they're happy to cash in on Coutinho. IMO.

• Upvote 2

Possible but unlikely. Fed up of what, his brilliant form? Or maybe Klopp thought he didn't do well enough when he made him captain and is a bit fed up with him for that?

I believe that FSG would have only made a stand in the summer to save face temporarily, when the massive VVD deal fell through they knew it would have been very difficult to sell our biggest asset that same window. Now they've spent some money on VVD they're happy to cash in on Coutinho. IMO.

I don't believe what you believe.

poor Jurgen. He's too clearly too wet behind the ears to know he's been played like a toothy violin by these crafty owners who are running rings around the poor naive lad.

Seriously. You need to listen to yourselves.

Agreed.

Plenty of legitimate criticisms of the owners without resorting to Dan Brown scripted stuff.

Well Klopp has nothing but good things to say about the owners publicly so either he's a moron and is being strung along, or he's lying for some strange reason.

Or just playing the game? He's been around football long enough to know how the politics of it works.

Tell me you weren't one of those who joined Carragher, and many on here, who criticised Benitez for being too outspoken back in the day?!

Klopp is not a tit. He knows exactly who he's working for and he knew that when he took the job. He's happy with the conditions he's working in and thinks he can make a success of it anyway.

Exactly.

Ooh look were talking about Klopp now and not FSG.

• Upvote 1

Or just playing the game? He's been around football long enough to know how the politics of it works.

Tell me you weren't one of those who joined Carragher, and many on here, who criticised Benitez for being too outspoken back in the day?!

He signed a 6 year deal after 8 months on the job, and has pretty much gotten all of his first choice targets. He's got absolutely nothing to complain about, which is why he's not complaining. 

It's yet again more guff from "supporters" who have this vendetta against FSG and try to find conflict between Klopp and the owners that doesn't exist. 

Ok, so what's the problem?

So, putting Klopp aside cos it's not really about him, you as a supporter don't mind if it turns out that actually we quite possibly are a "selling" club and have owners who aren't that fussed about winning trophies but if we do, hey it's a bonus?

So, putting Klopp aside cos it's not really about him, you as a supporter don't mind if it turns out that actually we quite possibly are a "selling" club and have owners who aren't that fussed about winning trophies but if we do, hey it's a bonus?

Everyone bar Real Madrid, Man City, Bayern and PSG are selling clubs. Even massive footballing institutions like Barca and Man United have been forced to sell players they've wanted to keep. 

That's how football works now. You're just out of the loop. 

He signed a 6 year deal after 8 months on the job, and has pretty much gotten all of his first choice targets. He's got absolutely nothing to complain about, which is why he's not complaining.

It's yet again more guff from "supporters" who have this vendetta against FSG and try to find conflict between Klopp and the owners that doesn't exist.

I think that's what they call one of those "straw man" arguments isn't it?

This is not about Klopp and his relationship with FSG, it's about FSG'S ambitions (or lack thereof) for the club.