You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

The question now seems to be one of timing. I suspect in the summer Klopp wouldn't have minded had we entered negotiations with a view to getting Lemar +1 in, but Barca fucked about until the 11th hour and Monaco were picked clean by then and unable to find a replacement themselves.

Now, Barca don't want to wait until the summer, as he could have a barnstorming WC and the price will go up again. We, on the other hand, will see that as the ideal scenario if indeed he is going to leave.

Back to brinksmanship then, and the slow drip feed of pro-Barca news outlets claiming they're preparing a bid. Fuck me, they're even worse than us for "preparing" to swoop.

I keep reading Barcelona are going to bid for Coutinho. Well we are 3 days into the window for a player they want so where is it? Why the delay? They have been briefing the Spanish media and Nike that they want the player for ages so you would think they would have everything ready to go at 1 minute in the morning of 1 January. I am guessing Barcelona are going to leave it until very late in the window or maybe around 5.30 pm on Friday evening. I hope Liverpool play really hard ball with these twats. I am convinced he is off but it has to be our terms not his his agents and Barcelonas. Agree a deal for him to go in the summer and no staged payments. £150m up front not a penny less.

• Upvote 1

Lallana is far from average, different player to Coutinho. He's been very good under Klopp.

He has been, I agree but if we were playing a must win game tomorrow would Klopp drop one of the front 4 to include Lallana because I don't think he would play in a midfield 2.

Now, Barca don't want to wait until the summer, as he could have a barnstorming WC and the price will go up again. We, on the other hand, will see that as the ideal scenario if indeed he is going to leave.

I'm not sure his price would sky-rocket, even with a brilliant tournament.

The simple reason being PSG have already committed to buying MBappe in the summer and so there isn't a natural rival for Coutinho in the summer.  FFP is a factor here.

Madrid might well be interested, but I'm certain that Coutinho would turn them down, so they aren't a rival either.

I don't think he's interested in staying in England for another seasons, so Man City's money isn't going to tempt him, he wants a new challenge.

Bayern won't splash over £100m, and neither will Juve.

I think Barca know they have us over a barrel in some respects, albeit they need to keep their bids respectful or we'll end up keeping him just to spite them, even if he doesnt want to stay.  But that would be a bad outcome for all concerned.  I think we have ear-marked the money, and I think Coutinho wants the move, and I think Barca have no intention of switching their targets.

I don't blame Coutinho for wanting to move, it's been bastard freezing in this country for the last 2 months.  January in Barcelona is an average of 13 degrees.  Fuck England.

What’s even more galling than having this little cunt shit on us again, is people on here putting there teams up without him and having Henderson in there.

And the worst part. They’re all gonna be right.

We won’t be going for any of these great players that are getting named. We’ll go with Keita, Ox, Lallana, Gini, Grujic and Henderson as our midfield next season. We’ve seen how FSG wouldn’t pay for a top striker (or any other position) unless we get rid of them.

For all the praise they’re getting re VVD, he is replacing sakho’s wage and position remember and Solanke’s the cheap Origi replacement.

Van Dijk "shit on" Southampton. Coutinho is shitting on us. That's football.

• Upvote 1

I like the fact that the person least bothered by all this crap is Klopp.

I think Klopp would have happily let him go last summer. The pressure was all on FSG keeping him at the end of last season once we qualified for the CL, especially when you had the likes of Gerrard and Carra using their media influence by saying there’d be riots if they sold him like they did with Suarez.

We're not comparing ourselves to Sourhampton, we're just doing what we've done for years - buying players from teams who are worse than us and selling players to teams who are better than us.

No one else seems to sell there best players as easily as we do. Hence why we win nothing. It wasn’t that long ago we were the no1 rated team in Europe and that was under Parry and Moore’s who were ridiculed on here for being skint amateurs. We’re now ran by an investment team of billionaires and were light years away from the top table now.

FSG have been in charge of us the same time as the tories have ran this country and both have them have spoon fed austerity as the new winning.

• Upvote 2

No one else seems to sell there best players as easily as we do. Hence why we win nothing. It wasn’t that long ago we were the no1 rated team in Europe and that was under Parry and Moore’s who were ridiculed on here for being skint amateurs. We’re now ran by an investment team of billionaires and were light years away from the top table now.

The likes of Arsenal and Tottenham regularly sell their best players. It's just the way football works.

The likes of Arsenal and Tottenham have regularly sold their best players. It's just the way football works.

Arsenal and spurs have won nothing compared to us. We should be comparing ourselves to Madrid, Barca, Bayern. Christ, juve where relegated in disgrace after we won our last CL and have managed to rebuild themselves and get ahead of us

Arsenal and spurs have won nothing compared to us. We should be comparing ourselves to Madrid, Barca, Bayern. Christ, juve where relegated in disgrace after we won our last CL and have managed to rebuild themselves and get ahead of us

Unfortunately, time machines don't exist, so we can't compare ourselves to the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. FSG are what they are and I have little to no time for them - Anny Road, ticket prices, doing their best to stop kids getting autographs, etc. However, I can't see the point of winding myself up and kicking off every time they sell one of our better players to a team who are better than us.

• Upvote 1

it isn't 1984, we haven't won the league since Coutinho was born, that said the way Countinho is being I'd just twat the shit if I was Klopp, If he has downed tools again he is like Torres a shit bag and I hope his career goes the same way. I'd hope he would accept a deal done now for the summer but if he has gone on strike again it would seem he wants out now so fuck him.....

Why pick 1984 when we were last in a Cl final 10 years ago. My point is, we’ve got the richest owners we’ve ever had, yet we’re being brainwashed into being compared to nothing clubs now. Juve and Bayern manage to attract and keep great players and I doubt they earn more than we do.

Unfortunately, time machines don't exist, so we can't compare ourselves to the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. FSG are what they are and I have little to no time for them - Anny Road, ticket prices, doing their best to stop kids getting autographs, etc. However, I can't see the point of winding myself up and kicking off every time they sell one of our better players to a team who are better than us.

It winds me up seeing us make our old rivals getting better than us when we keep selling them our best players instead of growing a pair and going to take theirs off them and making ourselves the real power again. We’ve been shite for the majority of the last 27 years yet these clubs like arsenal and spurs have got nowhere near us. We should be demanding the best players instead of Newcastle’s relegated midfielders and I even seen someone post we’re after their centre half now, considering what we earn and charge to watch this shite over time.

Why not? by all accounts they have bent over backwards for Coutinho, offered him yet more money to the fat contract he signed, and he has declined said he just wants to go to Barca or he will sulk again.. not sure what other option we have? All we can do is get the best deal to suit us, as much ££ as we can and for him to go in the summer....

It goes to prove that it’s not about the money with him. He wants to go as he’s been here for 4 years and we’re still in the same position as when he arrived. The best team in the world want him and he gets the chance to play with messi. If we hadn’t have fucked up blowing the Suarez money on absolute shite and bought the likes of dybala, higuain or even cavani we’d be in a far better position to make him want to stay with us. Instead, he’s looking up the pitch to see solanke as our main striker.

Why pick 1984 when we were last in a Cl final 10 years ago. My point is, we’ve got the richest owners we’ve ever had, yet we’re being brainwashed into being compared to nothing clubs now. Juve and Bayern manage to attract and keep great players and I doubt they earn more than we do.

Yet the are noth pretty much guaranteed champions league football every year. Titles at least every other year and get to live in far nicer countries with winter breaks etc

I suspected the whole strike thing as soon as I saw the team for the weekend.

The way it is ever so slowly unfolding in the media pointing towards a move this month has a touch of being stage managed by all parties.

Id be very surprised if Klopp didnt have an alternative lined up. I would think he has but probably agreed for the summer. Be a bit shit, but if he tries to push through a deal now with opening bids for players we have yet to signal our approach for we will end up grossly over spending as was the case with Torres/Carroll