You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Poor old Barca, they really do try it on from every possible angle don't they.

Coutinho included in Barca-themed secret santa; Luis Suarez gifts LFC ace Vodka

Imagine if Steven Gerrard and Virgil van Dijk posed for cameras and exchanged Secret Santa gifts…

Southampton would be on to the FA faster than they were in June.

But it seems Barcelona and their players can do anything they like…

Neymar (now of PSG, of course) organised a Secret Santa present swap as part of a programme on his circle of friends for Brazilian channel SBT.

It’s all pre-organised and involves camera crews in Barcelona (for his former teammates) and at Coutinho’s house in Liverpool.

First, Suarez pulls his name out of the hat…

“It’s my little brother, Philippe Coutinho,” he says.

“Well Philippe, from Barcelona I send you a gift that I know you’ll like a lot, because you like it a lot and I know you’re going to remember the good times that we have and that we live.”

It comes in a Barcelona bag and is a bottle of Vodka that Phil apparently used to like when they were team-mates together.

“What the f***?,” he replies.

“When Luis was here his wife liked to take it and so did I. I thank you.”

Totally shameless!

Never mind. Barca can keep trying every trick under the sun. Liverpool aren’t selling in January.

a1d1acdc-8d12-484e-apwsw0.jpeg

I, for one, feel enlightened.

I do admire Balague's schtik, though.

He realised years ago that being handsome, articulate and having a boss Spanish accent was a really good way to con British people into giving him money while he watches football.

Fair play to him.

• Upvote 1

It's been a while since I watched the show, but doesn't he also read the paper during revista De la liga and just relay the gossip?

This is pretty great work, if you can get it.

Likewise, I've not seen it for a while. I do remember he regularly featured in the slightly bizarre fake bodega type studio where he got to pretend to drink red wine and pretend to have inside information about the plans of every single football club in La Liga.

He really is to be admired.

Likewise, I've not seen it for a while. I do remember he regularly featured in the slightly bizarre fake bodega type studio where he got to pretend to drink red wine and pretend to have inside information about the plans of every single football club in La Liga.

He really is to be admired.

Absolutely.

It doesn't work, the other way either. When I was living in Barca, there were no takers for my premier league highlights show. "Ref cono" never got of the ground, and I did everything right.

Absolutely.

It doesn't work, the other way either. When I was living in Barca, there were no takers for my premier league highlights show. "Ref cono" never got of the ground, and I did everything right.

You were clearly in the wrong part of Spain. 

I do a regular live League Two discussion show in a town just outside Sevilla. They can't get enough of it.

"Barcelona have got Griezmann as number one target, at the same level of Coutinho, but I don't think they can get both players."

You can say that I'm looking at this from a red-tinted Liverpool point of view, but if I'm Barcelona and I'm looking at the medium-term, I'm thinking that if I can only get one of them I'd rather it be Griezmann.

Basically what you're asking is if you'd rather have Coutinho as Iniesta's replacement or Griezmann as Suarez' replacement.  And yeah, it's close, but if you can only do one of them then you're looking at whether you'd rather have Coutinho and Alcacer or Paulinho (or Denis Suarez) and Griezmann.

I just think I'd rather have the latter, especially since you can make up for a slightly imperfect midfield if you have Dembele, Griezmann and Messi up front.

Still think that all the signs point to Coutinho's departure, but maybe, just maybe, there's a chance we can string it out for another year before it happens. Would love that, mostly because I think he and Keita together in midfield would be absolutely devastating, especially with the pace of Mane and Salah in front of them.

You can say that I'm looking at this from a red-tinted Liverpool point of view, but if I'm Barcelona and I'm looking at the medium-term, I'm thinking that if I can only get one of them I'd rather it be Griezmann.

Basically what you're asking is if you'd rather have Coutinho as Iniesta's replacement or Griezmann as Suarez' replacement. And yeah, it's close, but if you can only do one of them then you're looking at whether you'd rather have Coutinho and Alcacer or Paulinho (or Denis Suarez) and Griezmann.

I just think I'd rather have the latter, especially since you can make up for a slightly imperfect midfield if you have Dembele, Griezmann and Messi up front.

Still think that all the signs point to Coutinho's departure, but maybe, just maybe, there's a chance we can string it out for another year before it happens. Would love that, mostly because I think he and Keita together in midfield would be absolutely devastating, especially with the pace of Mane and Salah in front of them.

Or they have money for both and this is just their way of trying to keep the fee down.
  • Upvote 1