You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

They aren’t going to pay the money for him. A year later and with less years to run on his contract isn’t going to suddenly add 20-30m to his value for them. Expect the same shithouse tactics as the summer. As much as the fan base absolutely flapped it, it was a no brainier that he didn’t go anywhere. He was on a long contract and it was a World Cup year. He was never going to not play once the window shut.

I’d honestly be shocked if the same shit didn’t kick off in January and if it does I’d be warning Coutinho that he pulls the same shit he will not be playing competitive football again for Liverpool this season and he won’t be getting sold to them in the summer either.

The club will need to assess it in the summer but I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as everybody seems to think. What happens if they come in with 80m Euros or some equivalent deal with shit add ons? He goes nowhere should be the answer. It’s not out of the question either in fact I’d say it’s highly likely that’s what they will pull.

The only way the club is ever going to stop the flow of players Brazilian or whatever to these clubs is by stopping selling to them. We are the easy target and it was no shock to see Zidane talking up Salah last week. We are the perfect breeding ground for players to get to the top tier. It’s now time to take that next step and tell Barca and Real to fuck off.

Oh yes they will. He is only one year less on his contract next summer with still 3 to go. As you say a WC year and I have little doubt Barcelona will be in a bidding war for him and Liverpool will not sell for a penny less than £120m. I also think Liverpool have told Coutinho he will be allowed to leave the club in the summer provided a club agrees to pay £120m or more. As for Salah, I just dont see the desire in him to be anywhere else. He is clearly loving life here. I can only see him maybe going if Klopp got sacked.

Klopp mentioned timing last summer, to me that says he's open to idea of cashing in once he can buy a replacement first. Lemar in January with 6 months bedding in and moving Phil on for 60m or 70m more in the summer seems like the German way to go.

• Upvote 1

I’ve got a feeling Suarez will go to Chelsea or city next summer while we concentrate all our efforts in developing Solanke.

Anyway, is it just me that thinks Coutinho’s refusal to dismiss these January Barca links is a bit concerning. Even Suarez blew smoke up our arses by signing that new 5 yr contract in the January before he jibbed us and telling us he’d be here for life but Phil looks like he’s been told his cats been run over when asked a question the can be easily batted away.

I’m not sure Suarez is worth a swap deal with Coutinho. If he was for sale would he demand a fee of, say, £130M at this point in his career? If there was a cash adjustment, maybe, but to me it’s not worth a straight swap and we should use the Coutinho money to buy two players who can help us now and for years to come e.g. VVD, Lemar.

PS - pass me the turps!

Suarez is 31 in January. The way he has played the game has been fantastic, but I do wonder if there will be a decline soon. He’s not a Sheringham sort who will waft around the pitch until he’s forty years old. He’s a combative fighter, and I wonder how long he has left at his peak.

Be great if those nonces Barcelona got a transfer ban for the Greizmann pursuit and Coutinho had to stay here.

It would be great if Atletico report him and if there is any suggestion they have spoken to Phil's contacts then stick a second complaint in and watch the arrogant fuckers squirm...

Atletico Madrid are to report Barcelona to Fifa over an alleged illegal approach for striker Antoine Griezmann.

The 26-year-old France international signed a new contract earlier this year, committing him to Atletico until the end of the 2021-22 season.

Griezmann has been linked with a number of clubs, including Manchester United.

However, it is understood Atletico's complaint is only with Barcelona, who they claim have spoken to people around Griezmann, including family members.

The Spanish club say that breaks Fifa regulations.

BBC Sport has contacted Barcelona for a response to the allegation.

thrash out terms

The 25-year-old is reportedly set to make the switch to the Nou Camp next month

BY JAMES WHALING

08:53, 20 DEC 2017

UPDATED 08:54, 20 DEC 2017

Barcelona have reportedly agreed a fee with Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho.

The Brazilian is set to make the switch to the Nou Camp next month after his representatives thrashed out terms with the Catalan giants, according to Spanish outlet Sport.

Coutinho is allegedly ready to put pen to paper on a contract which would see him earn around £10.6million over the course of five years.

And the price tag will apparently be an eye-watering €150million, equating to around £133million.

Coutinho tried to seal a switch to Barcelona in the summer, even handing in a transfer request in a bid to force the move.

But Liverpool were adamant the playmaker was not for sale and stood firm to rebuff any and all offers for his services.

Coutinho has started the season in impressive form despite the uncertainty surrounding his future, making Barca all the more determined to get the transfer over the line.

Liverpool will have to explore other options should Coutinho leave as they look to replace the goals he both scores and provides for the Reds.

The 25-year-old would become the most expensive signing in Barcelona history.

As for a swap with Suárez, I’d probably steer away from that. Great player, obviously, but there’s a lot of miles on the clock and we’d be catching him on the way down, arguably.

It's all a bit fanciful of course... but I'd rather Suarez than our potentially spunking some of the money and likely banking the rest.

thrash out terms

The 25-year-old is reportedly set to make the switch to the Nou Camp next month

BY JAMES WHALING

08:53, 20 DEC 2017

UPDATED 08:54, 20 DEC 2017

Barcelona have reportedly agreed a fee with Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho.

The Brazilian is set to make the switch to the Nou Camp next month after his representatives thrashed out terms with the Catalan giants, according to Spanish outlet Sport.

Coutinho is allegedly ready to put pen to paper on a contract which would see him earn around £10.6million over the course of five years.

And the price tag will apparently be an eye-watering €150million, equating to around £133million.

Coutinho tried to seal a switch to Barcelona in the summer, even handing in a transfer request in a bid to force the move.

But Liverpool were adamant the playmaker was not for sale and stood firm to rebuff any and all offers for his services.

Coutinho has started the season in impressive form despite the uncertainty surrounding his future, making Barca all the more determined to get the transfer over the line.

Liverpool will have to explore other options should Coutinho leave as they look to replace the goals he both scores and provides for the Reds.

The 25-year-old would become the most expensive signing in Barcelona history.

10.6m over 5 years is about 41k a week, sounds like bollocks to me