You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Neymar

Messi

Ronaldo

Suarez

Iniesta

Hazard

Sanchez

Lewandowski

Bale

Kroos

Modric

Neuer

De Gea

13 players better than KdB at the moment off the top of my head.

That’s a crazy list!

Ronald has been awful this season, Suarez is getting abuse off Barca fans for being shit, Iniesta is getting on and isn’t no where near as influential as he used to be, Hazard is only just back from injury and plays well once every 3 games, Sanchez hasn’t been bothered putting the effort in at all this season, Bale’s spent the season out injured, Neuer hasn’t played for about 4 seasons has he? And De Bruyne is currently better than Kroos and Modric.

So from your list the only outfield players better than him are Messi and Neymar, which is slightly debatable. I’m not sure how Lewandowski’s been doing this season because I haven’t seen much of Bayern so can’t really comment.

Hazard is more talented than De Bruyne I’ll give you that, when he’s up for it it’s near impossible to stop him. There’s plenty of more talented players in the world than De Bruyne on your list but hardly any of them are pulling up trees this year. Ozil for example is insanely talented, if he gained some sort of consistency he’d be considered as one of best.

• Upvote 1

Hazard is more talented than De Bruyne I’ll give you that, when he’s up for it it’s near impossible to stop him. There’s plenty of more talented players in the world than De Bruyne on your list but hardly any of them are pulling up trees this year. Ozil for example is insanely talented, if he gained some sort of consistency he’d be considered as one of best.

When they were young the Belgium youth coaches rated De Bruyne higher than Hazard. He was considered the most talented Belgian player of his generation. 

There are certain things Hazard does better, like dribbling, but he can't pass, cross or shoot with either foot like De Bruyne can. De Bruyne is the closest thing in the Premier League to a prime Gerrard. 

• Upvote 1

Until De Bruyne drives City further than a last-16 thrashing in the CL he doesn’t merit discussion with some of the players named in the list in this thread.

Gerrard had his European Cup by now. Different stratosphere at the same age.

In my opinion Beckham did his best work on the right of midfield in an orthodox 4-4-2 playing for Ferguson.  I wouldn't compare his attacking instincts or overall ability to De Bruyne.

Beckham achieved a lot of good things at Man Utd and in his personal career but his impact at Real Madrid was marginal.

He didn't do too bad there considering the players he had round him taking centre stage (Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul....) 

Until De Bruyne drives City further than a last-16 thrashing in the CL he doesn’t merit discussion with some of the players named in the list in this thread.

Gerrard had his European Cup by now. Different stratosphere at the same age.

Fair comment but he's probably not far off winning a whole load of stuff with Pep.  

He didn't do too bad there considering the players he had round him taking centre stage (Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul....) 

He was okay at best.  Nothing special and surrounded by some all time greats.  

When you look at the impact of Bale, Ronaldo etc.  Beckham doesn't really stand up to comparison. 

He was okay at best.  Nothing special and surrounded by some all time greats.  

When you look at the impact of Bale, Ronaldo etc.  Beckham doesn't really stand up to comparison. 

David Beckham was a one trick pony - swerve shots, serve crosses. However that trick - the swerve - was very impressive but if he had other tricks to go with this ball hitting skills he could have stood out among the greats with ease.

David Beckham was a one trick pony - swerve shots, serve crosses. However that trick - the swerve - was very impressive but if he had other tricks to go with this ball hitting skills he could have stood out among the greats with ease.

I wouldn't knock him for what he achieved and fair play to him for being one of few English players to try their hand abroad.  I just don't think he was anything special at Real Madrid.  As stig says it was hard to stand out in the presence of all those great players, but that's the standard they set at Real Madrid.  Steve McManaman was more influential there, in my opinion, but I would say that. 

I know he is a manc but I honestly think Beckham was underrated. His celeb status fucked him. as a player anyway. 

He was a great player in the early years with that famous quartet of him, Giggs, Scholes and Keane.  In the latter years he was more of a celebrity than a footballer, so it was fitting that he ended up playing out his days in LA. 

I'm not sure how effective he would be nowadays.  His lack of pace would probably see him drop into midfield instead of playing wide.  You would hardly expect him to play like Mane or Salah, for example.  The game seems to have moved on.  That's not taking anything away from what he achieved, he extracted the very most out of himself until the celebrity took over.  Ferguson saw all this coming a mile off and was all too willing to sell him to Real Madrid.