You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Was that the season Capello won the league on the last day of the season and got sacked straight after? Could not even remember if Beckham was still there that season. He was pretty much in and out of the side in his last season.

Couldn't stand the whole Galacticos' bullshit, so their constant underachievement was particularly enjoyable. Well, Zidane aside. He was ace. His CL final wondergoal was pretty the high point of the Galacticos era, went pretty much downhill from thereon.

He was out of favour in the beginning of the season and then came back into the side, played an instrumental role in them winning it. They even tried to annul his deal with LA Galaxy reportedly.

He was out of favour in the beginning of the season and then came back into the side, played an instrumental role in them winning it. They even tried to annul his deal with LA Galaxy reportedly.

Still doesn't change the fact that selling Makelele for Beckham was one of the most stupid decisions in Real's history. 

De Bruyne is like Salah. He's an effective mother fucker, just gets the job done by doing the right thing all the time. Phil is quality but he still does daft things occasionally, you never see Salah lashing a shot over the bar from 35 yards, Phil still does it at least once a game.

Having watched these performances at the time Beckham was better in the middle for Milan for a dozen games - still seems a daft comparison now to DeBruyne tbh - this kid is already one of the best players in the world - Beckham struggles to be called one of the best players in his own side.

He was instrumental in the treble winning United side. Also he played alongside some of the best players of all time e.g., Zidane, Figo, Casillas. De Bruyne is a very talented player, but he’s not amongst the best players in the world.. not yet. Even in the PL, Hazard and Sanchez are better than him.

Mate I know your MO - your are going to Maguire this to death. Admirable.

Debruyne is head and shoulders the best all around player in this league and already in the top 5 in the world. That is after wasting 18 months under Mourinho. By the end of this season he very well could be the instrumental player in a far more impressive team - not a sideman - and I have a feeling his showing in the WC will be better than anything Sir David put forth. And he is 25. 

Mate I know your MO - your are going to Maguire this to death. Admirable.

Debruyne is head and shoulders the best all around player in this league and already in the top 5 in the world. That is after wasting 18 months under Mourinho. By the end of this season he very well could be the instrumental player in a far more impressive team - not a sideman - and I have a feeling his showing in the WC will be better than anything Sir David put forth. And he is 25.

I don’t understand what youre trying to say in your first paragraph. De Bruyne isn’t a better player than Hazard at the moment. Hazard’s probably the second best dribbler of the ball in the world after Messi. He was comfortably player of the season last year.

Some very debatable ones in that list aRdja. I don't agree with Howie that de Bruyne is "head and shoulders" the best player in the league. He's very good though, and closer to the top handful of players in the world than Beckham ever was.

He’s very good, but no where near Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo, and Suarez at the moment. He might be in the future, but not yet.

In my opinion Beckham did his best work on the right of midfield in an orthodox 4-4-2 playing for Ferguson.  I wouldn't compare his attacking instincts or overall ability to De Bruyne.

Beckham achieved a lot of good things at Man Utd and in his personal career but his impact at Real Madrid was marginal.

• Upvote 2

This season I would say De Bruyne has been the best player in the league. I think aRdjas list is way off. I think De Bruyne, Silva and Eriksen are better than Coutinho and Ozil because of consistency. Ozil is insanely talented but goes missing off the ball. The game against spurs is the first time in recent memory (although mine is shit) that hes played well in a big game.

Coutinho is arguably our most talented player, but he's the sort that needs good players around him. You could put Mané in any team and he'd still be incredibly influental because he takes the ball, carries it, draws players and scares the shit out of defenders. Our record with and without Mané is quite interesting. 

• Upvote 1

That applies to every number 10, or player with the attributes of a number 10.

Especially in comparison to a lighting quick, direct forward like Mane.

They're both top class. If the two of them and Salah played 90% of the remaining league matches (they won't, obviously) we'd finish 2nd.

• Upvote 1

I'd sooner he fucks off to PSG than Barca. At least they'll pay what he's actually worth

Shows how shite modern footy is when a move to a much smaller club in a much lower standard league is an actual possibilty and worse a probability for a top class player in his prime.