You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

They do this with everything. It is time to defund the BBC.

I am not completely anti-BBC or public funding of it, but I fail to see how what Jermaine Jenas thinks counts as 'news'. BBC does at times have a tendency to disappear up its own arsehole.

barcelona's 5 conditions for £36m in add ons;

• Coutinho winning multiple trophies in the same season
  • Winning multiple Champions League titles
  • Winning the Ballon d'Or as the world's best player
  • Winning multiple trophies and the Ballon d'Or in the same season
  • Payment of the basic £80m fee staggered over five years

That last one is utterly beyond belief, the basic transfer amount over 5 years? Fuck off.

barcelona's 5 conditions for £36m in add ons;

• Coutinho winning multiple trophies in the same season
  • Winning multiple Champions League titles
  • Winning the Ballon d'Or as the world's best player
  • Winning multiple trophies and the Ballon d'Or in the same season
  • Payment of the basic £80m fee staggered over five years
That last one is utterly beyond belief, the basic transfer amount over 5 years? Fuck off.
And the winner of the most insulting bid award is..

Not sure who this chap is but -

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 17m17 minutes ago

As we all know, Liverpool rejected Barcelona’s third bid yesterday and told the club they won’t sell at any cost.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 15m15 minutes ago

Dembélé’s situation: Barcelona unwilling to include the add-ons that BVB wanted, Segura’s recent declarations made things worse.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 12m12 minutes ago

Barcelona now activating the Plan B that’s completely different than Plan A: Nice will receive the club’s first bid for Seri soon.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 11m11 minutes ago

Seri has no clause, he has an agreement with Nice’s owner that he can leave if a club pays €40m. Calling it release clause is symbolic.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 10m10 minutes ago

How the hell do you go from Coutinho to Seri I don’t know, they’re completely different players. If I’d warrant a guess, Di Maria is next.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 8m8 minutes ago

Barça’s actions in this transfer window have been nothing short of atrocious. Club acted for a month that Coutinho was good as done.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 6m6 minutes ago

Paulinho ended up coming as the backup for Verratti, and now from being close to Dembélé to settling for Deulofeu or perhaps Di Maria…

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 4m4 minutes ago

My advice for fans is the same as before, don’t take the big expected signings for granted.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 3m3 minutes ago

As for speculation, as things stand Barça could still end up with Seri and maybe Dembele for €120-140m at the end of the month.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117

Bellerin and Coutinho won’t come, that counts as a win, Barça could’ve spent nearly €200m on them. Chilling.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 2m2 minutes ago

Rafael Hernández Retweeted RMC Sport

RMC Sport claims Seri signing with Barça is imminent!

The larger issue is why the BBC consider a fairly mundane opinion piece by one of its staffers is considered to be the top news story on the football section of its website. Publicly funded self publicity.

They had it as the 4th article on the main news page, the shit cunts.

Not sure who this chap is but -

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 17m17 minutes ago

As we all know, Liverpool rejected Barcelona’s third bid yesterday and told the club they won’t sell at any cost.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 15m15 minutes ago

Dembélé’s situation: Barcelona unwilling to include the add-ons that BVB wanted, Segura’s recent declarations made things worse.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 12m12 minutes ago

Barcelona now activating the Plan B that’s completely different than Plan A: Nice will receive the club’s first bid for Seri soon.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 11m11 minutes ago

Seri has no clause, he has an agreement with Nice’s owner that he can leave if a club pays €40m. Calling it release clause is symbolic.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 10m10 minutes ago

How the hell do you go from Coutinho to Seri I don’t know, they’re completely different players. If I’d warrant a guess, Di Maria is next.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 8m8 minutes ago

Barça’s actions in this transfer window have been nothing short of atrocious. Club acted for a month that Coutinho was good as done.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 6m6 minutes ago

Paulinho ended up coming as the backup for Verratti, and now from being close to Dembélé to settling for Deulofeu or perhaps Di Maria…

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 4m4 minutes ago

My advice for fans is the same as before, don’t take the big expected signings for granted.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 3m3 minutes ago

As for speculation, as things stand Barça could still end up with Seri and maybe Dembele for €120-140m at the end of the month.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117

Bellerin and Coutinho won’t come, that counts as a win, Barça could’ve spent nearly €200m on them. Chilling.

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 2m2 minutes ago

Rafael Hernández Retweeted RMC Sport

RMC Sport claims Seri signing with Barça is imminent!

Fuck me

Have they decided to follow the Liverpool Way in how to do transfers.

Cant get you Verrati,so we got you Neymars mate Paulinho,with the money we got for selling Neymar.

So er yeah,Coutinho not looking likely how about Seri instead. At this rate they'll end up with Jean Michael Ferri

And the winner of the most insulting bid award is..

That is exactly what it is especially given the fact they got the Neymar money up front

Just wind up the player via his agent , agree personal terms , have him submit a transfer request on the eve of the league campaign, tell the world he was as good as signed then offer us some mickey mouse deal with payment on the never never. Utter cunts and the club treated their bids with the contempt they deserved,

Fuck me

Have they decided to follow the Liverpool Way in how to do transfers.

Cant get you Verrati,so we got you Neymars mate Paulinho,with the money we got for selling Neymar.

So er yeah,Coutinho not looking likely how about Seri instead. At this rate they'll end up with Jean Michael Ferri

I think there's some truth to the idea that Barca are really woeful when it comes to transfers but it's deeper than that.  Barca's problem is two-fold: identifying the right players and then completing the deals once they've identified the targets.

I would suggest that it's not quite accurate to lump Liverpool in with those two problems.  Our talent identification is spot-on, in my opinion.  I know I'm sort of a numbers junkie, but I'm telling you you couldn't do better than Keita, VVD and Salah if you were looking for 3 players to transform our squad.  We did a brilliant, virtually perfect job of talent identification, and then a pretty good job convincing those players to choose Liverpool.

The problem that we share with Barca is actually executing on those deals, and I think there are mitigating factors here.  Up to this summer, player power has been everything.  Player wants to go?  Nine times out of ten, they go.  They prefer Club B over Club A?  Well, as long as the offers are in the same ballpark, then welcome to Club B.  And the selling club barely has a say in the matter.

Now all of a sudden this summer everything is different.  Keita wants to go?  Too bad, say his club.  VVD chose Liverpool?  Too bad, say his club.  And it's not just Liverpool, as badly as we may want to slaughter the club.  Coutinho is desperate for a move.  We're not budging, even when ridiculous 100m offers are coming in.  

The era of player power determining the transfer market seems to be ending.  One imagines that in the future all contracts will have ironclad buyouts, or will be three years instead of five or six, but that doesn't change the reality.  Back in the real world, van Dijk's new contract means Southampton can sit him on the bench for an entire year and still sell him for 60m next summer if they want.  Of course that's hugely unlikely, but the fact that it's possible means everything in our negotiations with them.

So Barca are feeling the pinch and so are we.  Competent agents will be refusing to sign long-term deals without buyouts, but in the meantime, we have to figure out a way to adapt to the reality, and do it faster than the clubs around us.  Meanwhile, I would argue we need to keep the talent ID team exactly the way it is while we add people who know the dirty tricks needed to get players whose clubs don't want to sell them.

• Upvote 1