You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

If you believe the stuff put out by his agent \ family, he is prepared to sit in the stand during a WC year.

I think the back injury is now being used as a cover story. £150m cash and fuck off.

That's just bluff by his agent. They've got this 'force the move through' playbook dow to a t. It's no surprise that one of the main things in the media was that the club don't believe he would risk a World Cup year by going on strike and then that comes out.

Even with his injury and inconsistency, he still managed to be our best player. And he's not too prone to injury. And he's improving his issues with consistency. And hes improving even on his best days. IMO. If he can put this shite out of his head until the summer and knuckle down he could have his best season yet. Big if though. Suarez had a will to win that would trump anyone. We haven't seen Phil tested like this yet.

Alonso as well! 

He isn't world class (in my opinion), and normal circumstances i'd advocate selling him for £100m plus - but he doesn't seem a prick. I can't see him sulking or causing trouble, he looks the type who'll just knuckle down and get on with performing. 

Which should be too our benefit! I think he will go next year. 

Merson on "The Debate" last night was saying take the money and run. Kept going on about £100m for 14 goals! Take the money, and offer Arsenal £70m for Sanchez. Scores and creates more than Coutinho.

also reckons the signing of the season has been Jon Walters, so there's a bit of balance.

Merson is a knob and shouldn't be allowed to air his opinions without a doctor preasent ready with his meds

Merson is a knob and shouldn't be allowed to air his opinions without a doctor preasent ready with his meds

You can't argue with his point about Sanchez though, I don't even think Sanchez is "world class" but nor is Coutinho yet, Sanchez is probably better than anything else we could get though so if you sold Coutinho for £130m and spent half of that on Sanchez the other £60m could be put towards Van Dijk and Keita to get them over the line.

Merson on "The Debate" last night was saying take the money and run. Kept going on about £100m for 14 goals! Take the money, and offer Arsenal £70m for Sanchez. Scores and creates more than Coutinho.

also reckons the signing of the season has been Jon Walters, so there's a bit of balance.

The signing of the summer for me, Clive, is Aki to Bournemouth.

He's better than any centre back at Liverpool.

£20 mill wasn't it?

The fucking chumps.

I would have been happy to get Nathan Ake and continue the summer long pursuit of VVD. He is better than Klavan and Gomez, probably better than Lovren, and also offers cover at left back. He would have given some sort of insurance against not landing VVD as well.

Mind you, there's no way I could see Chelsea selling us a highly rated young defender in an area of the pitch where we are short.

The signing of the summer for me, Clive, is Aki to Bournemouth.

He's better than any centre back at Liverpool.

£20 mill wasn't it?

The fucking chumps.

Worth it to stop his goals against us.

Think he has something like 4 career goals and 3 of them are against us!

Yeah well would Ake have been lauded as a good signing before the van dijk shit hit the fan? Dont think the majority of people would have seen it that way.

He would have been viewed as a better third choice than Klavan, and obviously if Lovren had the jitters and Ake looked good, most would be saying to start him alongside Matip. If we then also signed VVD he would probably go back to third choice, or maybe get the nod at left back.

I was one who called for the player earlier in the window, as I think he's a good player, but the main point is Chelsea likely wouldn't deal with us.

He would have been viewed as a better third choice than Klavan, and obviously if Lovren had the jitters and Ake looked good, most would be saying to start him alongside Matip. If we then also signed VVD he would probably go back to third choice, and/or offered cover or start at left back.

As Ive said in previous posts though, people are fixated on a player being better than a klavan. Ake wont have come here to be considered a better choice than klavan. He was playing regularly for bournemouth.

First team regulars at other clubs arent going to come here to be consider just a better option than klavan. Id pretty much say he'd have only come on being told he was gauranteed to start which partly the reason transfers are difficult nowadays.

And i still maintain people wouldnt have been enamoured about us signing Ake when the window opened.

As Ive said in previous posts though, people are fixated on a player being better than a klavan. Ake wont have come here to be considered a better choice than klavan. He was playing regularly for bournemouth.

First team regulars at other clubs arent going to come here to be consider just a better option than klavan. Id pretty much say he'd have only come on being told he was gauranteed to start which partly the reason transfers are difficult nowadays.

And i still maintain people wouldnt have been enamoured about us signing Ake when the window opened.

Mate, United have

Bailly, Lindehoff, Smalling, Jones - all better than Klavan and Lovren

Chelsea, Rudiger, Luis, Cahil, Zouma, Christienson - same

Spurs - Aldwervlelediele, Vertonghan, Wimmer, Dier and now the new lad. All better than Klavan and lovren

Arsenal - shit defense, so yep we've got one up on them! 

Everton, West Ham, Southampon and West Brom all have better choices at centre half than Klavan and Lovren!

It is a shit state of affairs mate - instead of a 28 year old who has done his bit. Get a young lad in, who can improve. Because as much of a fan of Matip as I am - he isn't world class either, so push him as well.

The drop in quality between VVD and Klavan is frightening and for a club who will need to use their 4th choice defender (3rd at the moment!) during a full season, it is going to come back and bite Klopp on the arse.  

• Upvote 1