You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

I think it would be immensely stupid to do that. From what I remember they doubled Suarez's money and he didn't have 5 years to run. We don't need to get Coutinho back on side and he's already earning 150k a week. He will wake up that he's stuck here for 5 years sooner or later and we don't need to tie our hands behind our back with a valuation that may look stupid in a years time.

Why not? They spent near the equivalent at the time on Matthieu a few years ago and he's awful. I bet if you went through there transfer over the last 10 years you'll find plenty of players they sign for big money who come from lesser clubs and only have a handful of caps, Gomez was hardly a world beater and they spent 55m on him including add ons.

And that Mtiti is pretty awful too. Barca seem to be struggling with signing defenders which is probably why they have a waning DM playing centre back who is about 5ft 7.

Sore back? F**k that sh*t. I put my back out two weeks ago in the gym doing squats. A physio appointment and a few days stretching and I was back in the gym a week later. Coutinho needs to pull his finger out of his arse and get back to work.

I mean, either you believe the injury is real or not. But assuming you know the specifics of the injury somehow and that he's taking longer than you would to recover from it is a bit odd.

A £100m player!

Gerrard, Suarez, Alonso, Carrager, Hypia!

Great players are consistent. Very good players have blips.

. What does Barcas transfer funds have to do with how he plays football? He doesn't control what they bid!

And Suarez had plenty of bad games for us. It's just that he was mostly exceptionally good so nobody remembers them. He's only human. As is Coutinho.

. What does Barcas transfer funds have to do with how he plays football? He doesn't control what they bid!

I'm not arsed about Barcelona. I'm talking about us - he is our best player, but Mane is far more effective and more consistent. 

I can count on one hand how many 'bad' games Gerrard, Suarez et al. had over a season - not so with Coutinho, that is still his major weakness. 

• Upvote 1

If you believe the stuff put out by his agent \ family, he is prepared to sit in the stand during a WC year.

I think the back injury is now being used as a cover story. £150m cash and fuck off.

No. I'm pretty sure nobody believes this.

I'm not arsed about Barcelona. I'm talking about us - he is our best player, but Mane is far more effective and more consistent.

I can count on one hand how many 'bad' games Gerrard, Suarez et al. had over a season - not so with Coutinho, that is still his major weakness.

Even with his injury and inconsistency, he still managed to be our best player. And he's not too prone to injury. And he's improving his issues with consistency. And hes improving even on his best days. IMO. If he can put this shite out of his head until the summer and knuckle down he could have his best season yet. Big if though. Suarez had a will to win that would trump anyone. We haven't seen Phil tested like this yet.

Merson on "The Debate" last night was saying take the money and run. Kept going on about £100m for 14 goals! Take the money, and offer Arsenal £70m for Sanchez. Scores and creates more than Coutinho.

also reckons the signing of the season has been Jon Walters, so there's a bit of balance.