You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Right now, probably, but i dont think it's too long before Sterling is a sure pick. He is a bigger talent i'd say. Though the thing is we should be careful with him, not good in the long run to play him too much when he's still developing physically.

A bigger talent than Coutinho? Coutinho is quicker, and has more skill. Sterling is nowhere near as good at beating a man. They are both midgets that are weak and easily knocked off the ball. If Coutinho can work on his end product, I see him being first choice for us for a long time.

A bigger talent than Coutinho? Coutinho is quicker, and has more skill. Sterling is nowhere near as good at beating a man. They are both midgets that are weak and easily knocked off the ball. If Coutinho can work on his end product, I see him being first choice for us for a long time.

Nowhere near ? Get a grip...

Yes i think he's a bigger talent than Coutinho, Sterling is in the mould of Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, time will tell though.

Coutinho is two years older than Raheem as well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I really like Sterling, but he's a couple of years away from being a 100% regular starter, in my opinion. Coutinho has the potential to really do something in the game over the next 18 months. His directness and desire just to pick the ball up and run at players is something that'd serve us well.

Injured isn't he?

He was, but seems to have played since then, and been on the bench. Not in the matchday squad at all this time.

His directness and desire just to pick the ball up and run at players is something that'd serve us well.

Although if Rodgers sees him dancing, he might end up on the next plane home ... it's something I'm a bit worried about with Sturridge too. I think he's been lucky Brendan has been looking the other way so far.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Although if Rodgers sees him dancing, he might end up on the next plane home ... it's something I'm a bit worried about with Sturridge too. I think he's been lucky Brendan has been looking the other way so far.

As long as they don't say 'steady' to him, they should be a'right.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers makes improved £8 million offer for Inter Milan midfielder Philippe Coutinho

By John Percy

10:30PM GMT 23 Jan 2013

Rodgers has increased his offer for the Brazil international after further negotiations with Inter over the past 48 hours and remains confident of striking a deal despite competition from Southampton.

Liverpool’s latest bid is expected to be their last and they are not prepared to enter into a bidding war with Southampton, who have offered £10 million.

Mauricio Pochettino, the new Southampton manager, worked with Coutinho at Espanyol last season and his club have agreed to meet Inter’s asking price for the 20-year-old.

But it is believed Coutinho is not interested in a move to St Mary’s and Liverpool hope to agree a deal before the weekend.

Liverpool’s initial £6 million bid was rejected late last week but they have restructured their latest offer and agreed to pay an extra £2 million up front. Inter have been beset by financial problems and could find the promise of £8 million difficult to turn down.

Coutinho will require a work permit to seal a move to the Premier League and this week’s haggling means it is now unlikely he will make his debut against Oldham Athletic in the FA Cup on Sunday.

Earlier this week he had appeared to distance himself from a move to Anfield by insisting he wanted to stay and fight for his place but Liverpool remain hopeful of completing their second signing of this transfer window.

Liverpool have already signed Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea this month in a £12 million deal and are interested in Blackpool’s Thomas Ince, though not at the Championship club’s asking price.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers makes improved £8 million offer for Inter Milan midfielder Philippe Coutinho - Telegraph

If Rodgers believes the player is the right fit, don't haggle over £2m.

Agreed really, but if Southampton say "here's 10 million up front", we say "8 million up front and 2 million if he makes 50 appearances" and the player says "fuck Southampton, I want to go to Liverpool", what do you think Inter would do?

That Sporting Intelligence guy on Twitter and another journalist from PA saying there's actually no serious interest from Southampton and Coutinhos agent trying to create a fake bidding war as he gets a cut of the transfer fee.

Also Times saying we've upped offer to £8 million and hope for deal to be done over weekend.