You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

So Ayre is flying to Italy to clinch the deal is he?

Inter...."Teyn Meelyons"

Ayre...."I'm only authorised to go up to 8 Million sir"

Inter...(lights Cigar and blows smoke into Ayres eyes) "Eleyban Meelyons"

Ayre..."Well, maybe 8.5m at a push, we have to keep to the plan"

Inter...(cracks knuckles and flexes) "Twelb Meelyons"

Ayre..." Mr. Henry said no higher than 9 for this profile of player"

Inter...(starts picking teeth with a flick knife) Therrteeeen Meelyons"

Ayre..."Alright, alright 15 million, just don't touch or harm my face"

1322587594253974.jpg

My question is why sacrifice Coutinho if he is really that good and worth getting excited over?

Just because they don't fancy him anymore doesn't mean he's shit. First of all he is just 20 years old and second he did great last season on loan in a league that is better than the league he's at right now so even if he's not doing well in Italy he has proven himself to be have the potential to be a great player.

Coutinho is exactly the type of player that would thrive under Rodgers' infamous system.

He won't improve that much at Inter.

My question is why sacrifice Coutinho if he is really that good and worth getting excited over?

for the same reason, they sold Seedorf and Pirlo to their local rivals Milan.

They are skint but they are not selling to 'survive'.

They are selling in order to be able to afford their main target - Paulinho - who'd probably cost them the best part of 17m. With Sneijder and Coutinho going, they could afford that. Otherwise, they probably couldn't.

They are not skint. They're owned by an oil Tycoon. Believe it or not after the collapse of Fiorentina due to debts a decade ago as a result of the transfer frenzy in Italian football in the 90s, Italians have self-imposed financial rules much more strict than those introduced later by UEFA.

So Ayre is flying to Italy to clinch the deal is he?

Inter...."Teyn Meelyons"

Ayre...."I'm only authorised to go up to 8 Million sir"

Inter...(lights Cigar and blows smoke into Ayres eyes) "Eleyban Meelyons"

Ayre..."Well, maybe 8.5m at a push, we have to keep to the plan"

Inter...(cracks knuckles and flexes) "Twelb Meelyons"

Ayre..." Mr. Henry said no higher than 9 for this profile of player"

Inter...(starts picking teeth with a flick knife) Therrteeeen Meelyons"

Ayre..."Alright, alright 15 million, just don't touch or harm my face"

very good

Gazzetta reports that Paulinho's (Inter's target) price has increased and that Inter will have to sell Coutinho, since no one is interested to buy Alvarez(only loan interest for him).

However they say that Liverpool has stopped at 8m euros(£6m) and that Southampton has a firm offer of 11m euros(£9m) Inter want 15m euros(£12.5m) but they will probably reluctantly accept an offer at 13m (£10.5m). It is important that Southampton's new manager Pocchetino, has worked with Coutinho at Espanyol. They are close.

I can't see this ending well, not for us anyway.

We've tried the usual of getting him on the cheap, now it would seem there is competition and it's not as though they player is desperate to come here by the sounds of things.

If you want him and think he's worth it, then pay 11m Euros or whatever the fuck it will cost and buy him.

If not, fuck off out of Dodge and get done by that powerhouse of European Football, Southampton.

We've tried the usual of getting him on the cheap, now it would seem there is competition and it's not as though they player is desperate to come here by the sounds of things.

If you want him and think he's worth it, then pay 11m Euros or whatever the fuck it will cost and buy him.

If not, fuck off out of Dodge and get done by that powerhouse of European Football, Southampton.

If we come out second best to them, especially the position they are in currently in the league it's a disgrace. Do we really think we'll get someone who was so highly regarded just 2 years ago for £6 million and without a fight?

Totally agree. If we've been scouting him for so long and now made our move, he must be a number 1 target. He fits the bullshit 'profile' Ayre and co have been spouting on about for months. If this doesn't happen and he goes to Southampton for a couple of million more then alarm bells should ring. They'll make out its about value, when in reality we probably can't afford the extra couple of million. Hoping the club prove us wrong on this, but at this stage we will look like a right joke if we don't pull this off.

Totally agree. If we've been scouting him for so long and now made our move, he must be a number 1 target. He fits the bullshit 'profile' Ayre and co have been spouting on about for months. If this doesn't happen and he goes to Southampton for a couple of million more then alarm bells should ring. They'll make out its about value, when in reality we probably can't afford the extra couple of million. Hoping the club prove us wrong on this, but at this stage we will look like a right joke if we don't pull this off.

Think we are playing brinkmanship really, we rely on our pulling power contra Southamptons in this case. And i have to say, considering how much money we have pissed away on stupid signings over the years it really is about time we play a bit of hardball and don't budge. Both in terms of wages and transfer fees. I'd have had no problem with us going the extra mile to get a player like Sneijder, but when it comes to potential, unless it's out of this world talent, i think it's only right we stick to a reasonable valuation, or at least structure the deal in certain installments to ensure we dont get ripped off.

He's not that kind of midfielder, Zonko. He'd be playing up front with Suarez and Sturridge.

He could be brilliant there I guess but my thinking is we have Suso, Sterling and Allen (apparently) capable of playing that role. Not to mention we all believe Gerrard to be the best option there.

Just don't see why we would need him. I can see the different option he would give us but given the fact that we are tight with money I'd prefer if we strengthened in areas where we are short on quality cover.

He could be brilliant there I guess but my thinking is we have Suso, Sterling and Allen (apparently) capable of playing that role. Not to mention we all believe Gerrard to be the best option there.

Because Sterling and Suso are not as good, Allen is no way on this earth part of any successful front three in the world, and it's clear Rodgers wants Gerrard in midfield. Coutinho would play nearly every week with Suarez and Sturridge, with Sterling and Suso becoming backup.

Because Sterling and Suso are not as good, Allen is no way on this earth part of any successful front three in the world, and it's clear Rodgers wants Gerrard in midfield. Coutinho would play nearly every week with Suarez and Sturridge, with Sterling and Suso becoming backup.

Right now, probably, but i dont think it's too long before Sterling is a sure pick. He is a bigger talent i'd say. Though the thing is we should be careful with him, not good in the long run to play him too much when he's still developing physically.

Right now, probably, but i dont think it's too long before Sterling is a sure pick. He is a bigger talent i'd say. Though the thing is we should be careful with him, not good in the long run to play him too much when he's still developing physically.

I agree with your last sentence, but I think he has a very long way to go before he fulfills his potential. Coutinho, from the admittedly small amount I have seen, would offer a lot more in the short term and also has a lot of improving in him.

I agree with your last sentence, but I think he has a very long way to go before he fulfills his potential. Coutinho, from the admittedly small amount I have seen, would offer a lot more in the short term and also has a lot of improving in him.

I'd agree with that, right now i think Coutinho could come in and improve us, and he's still very young so there is room for improvement in the long run there too. And regardless i think theres not much to loose, he's not a huge investment and while playing any of the variations with 3 up front we need a minimum of 6 players for those positions.

Coutiho will play as one of the wide forwards. He will be competing with Downing, Sterling, Suso and Borini. Suso, and Sterling are both still very raw, and Suso in my opinion would be better suited in a more central position. We obviously also have Sturridge and Suarez who are going to play the majority of games.

Recently we have seen Shelvey play in these attacking positions, where he is clearly not suited. Rodgers is clearly trying to assemble a big squad with lots of different options.