You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

I'd take the risk and stump up the extra. He doesn't look like a jobber someone who can do a job, he looks like he has great skills and trickery, our league is perfect for those type of players, defenders are quick to go to ground and get frustrated, players with technique strive against them. We'll forgive the club if this one turns out shit but sometimes you have to take that risk. The list of players I wish we'd gone that extra couple of million quid for is as long as the list we vastly overpaid. So its not like this one deal could push us over the edge either way. Anyway we usually over pay for players the entire fan base goes WTF for and we fuck about on deals we all want to happen. I think the fanbase judgement overall has been better on player worth than the fucking clubs for a long time.

I'd take the risk and stump up the extra. He doesn't look like a jobber someone who can do a job, he looks like he has great skills and trickery, our league is perfect for those type of players, defenders are quick to go to ground and get frustrated, players with technique strive against them. We'll forgive the club if this one turns out shit but sometimes you have to take that risk. The list of players I wish we'd gone that extra couple of million quid for is as long as the list we vastly overpaid. So its not like this one deal could push us over the edge either way. Anyway we usually over pay for players the entire fan base goes WTF for and we fuck about on deals we all want to happen. I think the fanbase judgement overall has been better on player worth than the fucking clubs for a long time.

Easier said than done. How do you know that couple of million isn't earmaked for another player or if FSG have said you only have (insert amount) to spend.

I don't think it's wise to underestimate the Saints chairman Cortese. He seems to be a man with a plan.

Southampton has been linked with Coutinho for a while, and it's easy to throw them in the loop once more as soon as it's "known" that we're negotiating.

Having said that, IF they really are interested I suppose they would be in a very good position. They could offer:

- guaranteed position in the starting line-up

- a manager he knows personally, and also knows the ideas of.

- better wages (?)

Add that they can outbid us, and that's not very unlikely given FSG's record with Ayre as chief negotiator.

That would be Southampton taking two players right in front of our noses in one season.

Scary!

Easier said than done. How do you know that couple of million isn't earmaked for another player or if FSG have said you only have (insert amount) to spend.

Then they should adjust their budget. I don't believe you can set a budget in stone when you can't predict how much another club wants for a player and how willing they are to negotiate, we can't dictate to the market if we try we are going to end up the losers far more than the winners. Obviously there's a limit they don't say the budget is 20 million and you then you want to spend 40, but there has to be some push and pull somewhere. It's not like we've said we want 40 million for Falcoa.

Twitter reckon Inter have agrred to pay 14m euros for Belhanda and we have submitted our final offer for Cou with a decision today

I see. So now we don't even need to quote which particular nobody on twitter is spouting some shite, it's sufficient to say "twitter says"?

Ok then.

Incidentally, the internet says I'm starting on the left for us against Arsenal. Must be true.

I'm not having that. For all the idiots on twitter spouting shite, it still is by far the best source for getting the real information first.

The sorting the relevant info from the shite can be challenging. Luckily you choose yourself who to follow.

If there's a major happening in the news nowadays, let's say a school shooting, I know where I would go first to get info.

Why does Ayre have a reputation of being shit at negotiations?

He got Assaidi for a cheap deal, he got Sahin over Arsenal, we got Sturridge for a good price, we got Allen (although I think there was a minimum fee clause triggered).

Comolli was a poor negotiator, but we have no evidence to suggest Ayre is bad at that.

We pulled out of deals for Sigurdsson because we didn't think he was worth what we'd have to pay in terms of wages. We didn't make an improved offer for Dempsey, because we didn't think he was worth more than we offered.

I don't see a deal where Ayre has fucked up where we have payed far too much or a player chose another club due to him.

Then they should adjust their budget. I don't believe you can set a budget in stone when you can't predict how much another club wants for a player and how willing they are to negotiate, we can't dictate to the market if we try we are going to end up the losers far more than the winners. Obviously there's a limit they don't say the budget is 20 million and you then you want to spend 40, but there has to be some push and pull somewhere. It's not like we've said we want 40 million for Falcoa.

agree with every word, I can see them being skint with a Dempsey since he doesen't fit their profile, but it seems Coutinho is exactly what they've been trying to preach, certainly worth reaching a little bit for.

So we're in a bidding war with just Southampton? No one else is going for the player? I've not seen much of him and not an awful lot of people seem to have seen play in real life either. Doesn't mean to say he's not any good, but to go from an opening bid of 8M to 15M euros (asking price, allegedly) for 'potential' seems strange.

Why does Ayre have a reputation of being shit at negotiations?

He got Assaidi for a cheap deal, he got Sahin over Arsenal, we got Sturridge for a good price, we got Allen (although I think there was a minimum fee clause triggered).

Comolli was a poor negotiator, but we have no evidence to suggest Ayre is bad at that.

We pulled out of deals for Sigurdsson because we didn't think he was worth what we'd have to pay in terms of wages. We didn't make an improved offer for Dempsey, because we didn't think he was worth more than we offered.

I don't see a deal where Ayre has fucked up where we have payed far too much or a player chose another club due to him.

Assiadi seems to be a player the manager didnt want, 3 million just seems pointless. I believe Mourinho was pushing for sahin to come here because of Rodgers, and we've been flirting with Sturridge since last summer so it wasn't a quick thing plus 12 million is about the right price. I think with Ayre its just the fact that since he's been in charge we've looked amateur with deals and how we deal with clubs from respected to complained about a lot plus he has a head like a fucking fossilized turnip.

So we're in a bidding war with just Southampton? No one else is going for the player? I've not seen much of him and not an awful lot of people seem to have seen play in real life either. Doesn't mean to say he's not any good, but to go from an opening bid of 8M to 15M euros (asking price, allegedly) for 'potential' seems strange.

There was hardly the global bidding war hindsight would suggest appropriate when we were in for Torres and Suarez and neither of those turned out too bad.

My concern with Coutinho would be where we intend playing him. Will it just be another square peg in a round hole situation if we shunt him out left, for example?

I think with Ayre its just the fact that since he's been in charge we've looked amateur with deals and how we deal with clubs

That's because of Comolli, not Ayre.

I don't know if Ayre is good or bad at negotiating, he has only done a few deals.

I see. So now we don't even need to quote which particular nobody on twitter is spouting some shite, it's sufficient to say "twitter says"?

Ok then.

Incidentally, the internet says I'm starting on the left for us against Arsenal. Must be true.

that was a bit confrontational lurtzy??? He did say 'reckon'

So Ayre is flying to Italy to clinch the deal is he?

Inter...."Teyn Meelyons"

Ayre...."I'm only authorised to go up to 8 Million sir"

Inter...(lights Cigar and blows smoke into Ayres eyes) "Eleyban Meelyons"

Ayre..."Well, maybe 8.5m at a push, we have to keep to the plan"

Inter...(cracks knuckles and flexes) "Twelb Meelyons"

Ayre..." Mr. Henry said no higher than 9 for this profile of player"

Inter...(starts picking teeth with a flick knife) Therrteeeen Meelyons"

Ayre..."Alright, alright 15 million, just don't touch or harm my face"