You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Kenny deserved to be sacked in fairness. Lest we forget Charlie Adam, Downing, Henderson and Carroll. Awful signings for the most part.

There was no fight in the team. No heart. Carroll was standing on the halfway line with his hands on his hips in most games. Downing didn't register a single assist all season. Henderson was scared of his own shadow. Spearing and Adam were shambolic. 

Cast your mind back to the last six months of the season before. Kuyt, Suarez, Meireles and Rodriguez in tandem. Destroying teams. What happened to that team? Kuyt was sold for £500,000. Rodriguez got released on a free. Meireles sold for £11m. 

A penalty shootout victory against a Championship team doesn't paper over those cracks. He needed to go, and was rightfully dismissed.

• Upvote 5

I get it, that's one side of the argument!

The other side is he came in to a disastrous situation after Hodgson, then got us playing irresistible football for much of the rest of the season as the team climbed the table. In his first full season we won a trophy, got to another final, and while the league finish slipped a bit, Kenny hailed from an era when it didn't matter if you were 5th or 8th, as you are still an also-ran either way. Much better to try to win trophies while you can, then shore it up in the summer in the market and go again in the league the next season.

We will never know how Kenny would have done if he was allowed another season. Perhaps he was out of his time, or perhaps he was just starting to get to grips with it again. His status should have afforded him another season in my view, but it wasn't to be.

I'm happy enough to say it could have gone either way, and the owners made a decision, a difficult decision given his club legend status.

• Upvote 1

Lucky to win 13 games on the win which is one less than the league record and the people who run the club didn't have anything to do with the appointing the manager?

I'd love to live in your world to be honest. Better than any drug I'd say. 

Spot on Robbie. I dont get this breed of fan that's attached itself to the club and just wants to slag everything off. If it's not the stadium it's the manager, if it's not the manager it's the owner(s), if it's not the owner(s) it's the transfer strategy.

• Downvote 1

I don´t think any of those players have "failed hard" at all.

I think it´s reasonably likely that Coutinho will perform quite consistently with Neymar, Messi and Suarez playing infront of him. Not quite as easy to perform regularly as a creative player with your one "target" being Origi.

But that excuse could be used for any of the players i mentioned, they still didnt step up the plate with better players around them. Maybe i just dont rate him as others on here, there has not been one season yet where i have thought he was our best player.

Kenny deserved to be sacked in fairness. Lest we forget Charlie Adam, Downing, Henderson and Carroll. Awful signings for the most part.

There was no fight in the team. No heart. Carroll was standing on the halfway line with his hands on his hips in most games. Downing didn't register a single assist all season. Henderson was scared of his own shadow. Spearing and Adam were shambolic.

Cast your mind back to the last six months of the season before. Kuyt, Suarez, Meireles and Rodriguez in tandem. Destroying teams. What happened to that team? Kuyt was sold for £500,000. Rodriguez got released on a free. Meireles sold for £11m.

A penalty shootout victory against a Championship team doesn't paper over those cracks. He needed to go, and was rightfully dismissed.

It was weird we didn't build on the team that was in place in 2010/11. Heard at the time a lot of was down to replacing Sammy Lee with Kevin Keen who favoured a more structured and physical game, but I reckon Lucas's injury around November time in 2011 really fucked us over. He'd been brilliant that season.

I love Kenny but fuck me Stewart Downing for £20 million what was all that about?

You could have gone into any boozer before a game and asked a 100 fans should we sign Downing and probably 95 would have said no he's fucking shite.

And the ones who said yes sign him up were probably ones who thought Hodgson shouldn't have gone either.

Same goes for Charlie Adam too.....

Christ we've had some shite over the years.

• Downvote 1

The problem all stemmed from signing Carroll for such a huge amount. We tried to sign players to get the best out of him in Downing and Adam, however this meant that our front six now had three very average players in it.

At the time I felt Kenny was very unlucky to be sacked, however with hindsight it was the correct move in my opinion. 

I love Kenny but fuck me Stewart Downing for £20 million what was all that about?

You could have gone into any boozer before a game and asked a 100 fans should we sign Downing and probably 95 would have said no he's fucking shite.

And the ones who said yes sign him up were probably ones who thought Hodgson shouldn't have gone either.

Same goes for Charlie Adam too.....

Christ we've had some shite over the years.

On this forum, folks are always lamenting the rise of hysterical fannies.

I, personally, would pick the majority forum judgments on any player.

Certainly, TLW, has a much less disastrous record over the last seven years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lucky to win 13 games on the win which is one less than the league record and the people who run the club didn't have anything to do with the appointing the manager?

I'd love to live in your world to be honest. Better than any drug I'd say.

Yes, it was luck. Loads of penalties and set-piece goals, you don't get that kind of luck often in football. It was sit back and pass the ball to Suarez. Highly sophisticated strategy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Set pieces and Pens don't count? It was luck? Every team that has ever been on a run like that has had a bit of luck on the way. Sit back and pass the ball to Suarez? How dare we try and make the most of one of the best players we've ever had. Were we lucky in 2005, having to rely on World Class performances from Stevie? We're the Mancs lucky when Ronaldo scored 40 or whatever when they won the League. Barca with Messi etc etc etc.

• Upvote 2

Melissa Reddy‏Verified account @MelissaReddy_ 18m18 minutes ago

More

#LFC maintain Phil Coutinho is not for sale at any price. As such, reports of them setting a fee for him are false

Klopp has spoken with Coutinho, & has made clear he will play a central role for #LFC, in the build up to the World Cup. [Mirror]