You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Hmmm - I see your point but I think that is unfair. They were a slip away from a league championship, we've been to 4 finals, a few semi-finals, and from their starting point I think could've done better is a fairer assumption. 

cunts over the tickets though! 

Maybe if we'd spent a bit more some of the nearly misses would turn into silverware.  Unfair that.

Coutinho is never going to be world class, goes missing way to many games, hes 25 now and his career will be going in the same way it has over the last 3 season, he has a game where hes unstoppable, all the news sites and web pages will highlight it for a whole week and then he will go quiet for the next 4-5 games. selling him for 130 would be good business, to bad we will buy a 1/8 player instead.

I don't agree.

He's not world class, yet.

However, as he gets older, his goal return is increasing, his vision is getting better and being kicked on the left wing means he has an ever more increasing resiliency.

He's not put it all together, as of yet, but he's fixing to and he will make a great replacement for Iniesta.

• Upvote 1

I don't think they deserve too much credit for the bit in bold mate - we are paying for that!

They need to better - 7 million for Ali, and they fucked it up! Never mind Sanchez, and all those players - they should have had him signed sealed and delivered. He was a red, a red as a manager FFS! 

Well, its funny that with supposed new owners argument, they dont get the 'fans are already paying for that' and yet there's no new owners on the horizon.

Yes, the club missed out on Ali. New owners might not even have looked at him. Who knows?

One trophy this decade. They deserve all the shit coming their way and more. 

You seem to labour under the impression new owners would do better. Got news for you, the mansour \ abramovich ship has sailed.

• Downvote 1

Well, its funny that with supposed new owners argument, they dont get the 'fans are already paying for that' and yet there's no new owners on the horizon.

Yes, the club missed out on Ali. New owners might not even have looked at him. Who knows?

You seem to labour under the impression new owners would do better. Got news for you, the mansour \ abramovich ship has sailed.

To Milan and Walton.

Maybe if we'd spent a bit more some of the nearly misses would turn into silverware.  Unfair that.

I think they spent enough - nobody was complaining about the money spent in 2013. Unfair that! 

Saying that - if they had of bought Salah they may have won. 

I don't agree.

He's not world class, yet.

However, as he gets older, his goal return is increasing, his vision is getting better and being kicked on the left wing means he has an ever more increasing resiliency.

He's not put it all together, as of yet, but he's fixing to and he will make a great replacement for Iniesta.

Totally agree with this. 

Sorry! 

I think they spent enough - nobody was complaining about the money spent in 2013. Unfair that! 

People have been complaining for years about lack of investment in the team.  It's not a new thing.

You mention 2013, for example.  I distinctly recall an outcry for a midfielder to be signed in January to assist with the title challenge (I wasn't one of those involved but there were many - see the Jan 2014 transfer thread).  

Perhaps if we'd have signed one we wouldn't have missed Henderson so much after his Man City red card and, who knows, that could have been enough to push us over the line.  Purely conjecture, of course, but we are talking about fine margins.

Yep, that may have made the difference.  And as a fan it's frustrating because we want to win at all costs, whereas for FSG it's about balancing the books, firing Kenny when he wins a cup and putting a manager in who'll tow the top four party line. 

Apparently, Bad News Pearce did some live chat thing a few hours ago.

To summarise:

- he appears to confirm that Barca have made an initial bid

- there has been no second bid from Barca

- their first bid was rejected in such categoric terms that Barca should be aware that any further bids will not be welcomed

- the clubs stance has not changed, Coutinho has recently signed a new contract and he is simply not for sale

Interesting, if true.

If we have a 'shit window', for me it's only Klopp to blame.

He's gone balls deep for Keita and Van Dijk, but he's also seemingly unbothered about a striker or another attacker.

Time will tell, maybe he thinks Woodburn is ready to step up, maybe he thinks Sturridge is going to be injury-free.

Us getting Keita or Van Dijk is one thing, them being brilliant is another.  We could get both and they could both be benched if they're not better for us than what we already have.

Hmmm - I see your point but I think that is unfair. They were a slip away from a league championship, we've been to 4 finals, a few semi-finals, and from their starting point I think could've done better is a fairer assumption. 

cunts over the tickets though!

Read what our wrote again, mate.

That is FSG propaganda, the idea that in a time Leicester city can win the title by 10 points that 5 time European champions should be satisfied with "4 finals and a few semi finals."

Yep, that may have made the difference.  And as a fan it's frustrating because we want to win at all costs, whereas for FSG it's about balancing the books, firing Kenny when he wins a cup and putting a manager in who'll tow the top four party line. 

As I say, they could do better! 

I'm torn over Kenny - it was easily some of the worst football I had seen since Houliers last year, he looked lost. And Rodgers did improve the team, without that initial outlay that Kenny enjoyed. 

Levy balances the books - and I don't think anyone would argue against Spurs at the moment. being prudent isn't the worst thing in this day and age. I still think you look at what a player like Ali could give to us, and a free like Ayew as well? I think that is where they need to be so much better considering it is their 'model'. 

As I say, they could do better!

I'm torn over Kenny - it was easily some of the worst football I had seen since Houliers last year, he looked lost. And Rodgers did improve the team, without that initial outlay that Kenny enjoyed.

Levy balances the books - and I don't think anyone would argue against Spurs at the moment. being prudent isn't the worst thing in this day and age. I still think you look at what a player like Ali could give to us, and a free like Ayew as well? I think that is where they need to be so much better considering it is their 'model'.

I don't agree.

After the Arsenal defeat in March, the top 4 was beyond us. Having bagged a trophy we threw everything behind winning the FA cup and with it, 2 of the 3 competitions we had entered. We weren't successful, but a lot of people, myself included felt that Andy Carroll had a legitimate goal that would have put us in a position to win the game.

After that, they sacked Kenny Dalglish claiming a poor league performance. If that was true, why was it that the new managers first season was openly considered a write off, as they gutted the team of any winners/high earners?

• Upvote 1

Read what our wrote again, mate.

That is FSG propaganda, the idea that in a time Leicester city can win the title by 10 points that 5 time European champions should be satisfied with "4 finals and a few semi finals."

That isn't what I meant mate, sorry if that has come across. Not everything is 'propaganda'! 

I meant, a slip away from the league, penalty shootout to another trophy, it could have been a lot better -  I think you deal with what you have not with what you had, our past is getting further back each year (obv) - I think the past 25 years say more about our status than the 25 prior to that. 

Not everything can be laid at their door. And actually I think doing that enables them to get away with areas they should be improving. 

But I am relatively optimistic! Been a bit of a cunt these past two years, so fucked if I am getting down over Liverpool! 

I don't agree.

After the Arsenal defeat in March, the top 4 was beyond. Having bagged a trophy we throw everything behind winning the FA cup and with it, 2 of the 3 competitions we had entered. We weren't successful, but a lot of people, myself included felt that Andy Carroll had a legitimate goal that would have put us in a position to win the game.

After that, they sacked Kenny Dalglish claiming a poor league performance. If that was true, why was it that the new managers first season was openly considered a write off, as they gutted the team of any winners/high earners?

This is the bit about perception though! I see a team that was in a perfect position to challenge for the top 4 at christmas and the reason we were out of it, was because we were shite! 

The FA cup final, Kenny decided to start with Spearing, and Henderson on the right! He had Caroll on the bench! 

But one question - I know it is Kenny, so the rules are different, but 'if' Caroll had of scored, is not different to 'if' Gerrard had not slipped! 

• Downvote 1

This is the bit about perception though! I see a team that was in a perfect position to challenge for the top 4 at christmas and the reason we were out of it, was because we were shite! 

The FA cup final, Kenny decided to start with Spearing, and Henderson on the right! He had Caroll on the bench! 

But one question - I know it is Kenny, so the rules are different, but 'if' Caroll had of scored, is not different to 'if' Gerrard had not slipped!

Kenny is not infallible and he made mistakes. However if your first season ends with you winning a trophy, and being a cunt hair from winning 2 of the 3 competitions you entered, that warrants another season.

It's certainly not permissable for you to get hauled down to Boston, sacked and replaced with a relative novice.

• Upvote 2

If Coutinho has said he wants to leave, I think we have a year left with him, tops. It's up to us to improve the team now and do really well, then we have an outside chance of keeping him for longer than a year, but probably not. As Qui Gon Jinn once said, "There's always a bigger fish."

Keita and VVD have been targeted, and I'm sure we are more than willing to spend, but I think we will do well to land one of them this summer, the way things are shaping up. If it is VVD then Coutinho must stay, as I think he will play most of his football in midfield with Salah and Mane on the wings.

If Coutinho gives us another season and we do really well, say consolidating top four and winning a cup, perhaps even more than that, then he can go with his head held high. And obviously a big fat transfer fee to help us.

If Coutinho is to go this summer, I'd want to make sure we get both VVD and Keita, plus another top player - Aubameyang or even Mbappe. At that point I'd do it, but realistically I think that's not happening, and I would imagine Coutinho has one more year as a Liverpool player.

• Upvote 1

Kenny is not infallible and he made mistakes. However if your first season ends with you winning a trophy, and being a cunt hair from winning 2 of the 3 competitions you entered, that warrants another season.

It's certainly not permissable for you to get hauled down to Boston, sacked and replaced with a relative novice.

I agree totally with that - and I did want him to get another year actually, simply because it was Kenny and he did deserve it because of what he had done. 

Although I genuinely didn't expect anything to come from it! 

Personally I think a lot of the criticism of FSG is valid, and I don't want to argue because I can see where it is coming from. Just because I am optimistic doesn't mean everybody else should be. 

As I said early, I'm sure yourself, TK and all the others would be delighted to be proved wrong! 

• Upvote 1

If Gerrard hadn't slipped, we still would have lost that game. Rodgers was intent on winning it in glory because he overestimated his own abilities when a draw was all we needed. He didn't realise how lucky we were to have those 13 wins in the first place.

Getting Klopp is by far the best thing FSG have done and has covered over a huge number of faults. I daresay they had very little to do with it, because Klopp specifically wanted to come to Liverpool. I don't believe they kept Rodgers because they knew Klopp was coming, they thought he deserved another season.

Lucky to win 13 games on the win which is one less than the league record and the people who run the club didn't have anything to do with the appointing the manager?

I'd love to live in your world to be honest. Better than any drug I'd say. 

• Upvote 3

On the Kenny stuff, I thought he should have got another season. The league spot slipped a bit, but we won a cup and got to another final. There was enough there to warrant another season but it wasn't to be. I'm not going to get too upset with FSG over that though, as the Kenny decision at the time wasn't clear cut, and a case could be made either way.

There are various ways to let a person go, and face to face and in person is best way. The owners did that. A case could be made that they should have flown to Kenny, and not the other way around, but that's a minor point, as in every walk of life it's usually the lower employee who goes to see the boss/owner. We've seen people get sacked with phone calls and texts, or even worse, via the media. Kenny was let go face to face, and even though the owners couldn't possibly feel the same way about Kenny as the fans, they were dignified through that difficult process.

Full credit to Kenny though. He didn't throw his toys out the pram and always maintained a club-first mantra, which is one of the many reasons why he is so respected.

• Upvote 2