You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

2 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Lay off the crack mate.

Benitez wanted him out and was whoring him around.  As soon as he wanted to leave he handed a transfer request in.  He didn’t do that for Arsenal or Juventus.  You’re talking out of your arse.

I don’t know where you’re coming up with this straw man argument.  Barry was a better player than Aquilani but that wasn’t the point.  The fans didn’t want Alonso replacing with Barry but again the fans had no say in any of it.  It didn’t happen because nobody met the valuation for Alonso and we didn’t for Barry.  I don’t know if you noticed either but City were bought out by a country and spent billions.  Barry was hardly the reason City won any trophies and if you think he would have impacted the trajectory of the club had we replaced Alonso with him in 2008 you’re even more thick than I previously thought.

Barry was a quality player back then and was very important in that City team. Barry helped them win trophies. They had a solid British core of players that included Milner and Hart and they had a strong mentality. 

We had zero in midfield for years after Alonso left. Barry would've walked into any of the Hodgson, Dalglish and Rodgers teams. You never know, we could've won the game against Chelsea in the FA Cup final if we had a midfield that didn't consist of Charlie Adam and Jay Spearing. He would've been a really good signing. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Boss said:

Barry was a quality player back then and was very important in that City team. Barry helped them win trophies. They had a solid British core of players that included Milner and Hart and they had a strong mentality. 

We had zero in midfield for years after Alonso left. Barry would've walked into any of the Hodgson, Dalglish and Rodgers teams. You never know, we could've won the game against Chelsea in the FA Cup final if we had a midfield that didn't consist of Charlie Adam and Jay Spearing. He would've been a really good signing. 

Jesus fucking Christ.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Boss said:

Do you think Poulson, Spearing and Charlie Adam are better players than Gareth Barry? 

No obviously.  But that’s not the point is it.  You talked a load of shite about how we should have signed Barry when Alonso left but the fans stopped it happening and were embarrassing over it and seem to have some deluded reasoning that everyone thought Barry was shite and the players we signed were better.

It got pointed out to you that the fans didn’t want Alonso sold so that we could bring in Barry to replace him because he was nowhere near as good as him.  By the time Alonso put a transfer request in the following season City had already signed Barry.  You then tried to make out as though you already knew this and changed your argument to that we should have sold Alonso in 2008 when Arsenal were willing to pay 15m for him so that we could sign Barry which is even more comical really for a whole host of reasons. Mainly that it would have completely derailed the potentially league winning team we had.  The fact that we had no idea that Alonso would want to leave a year later doesn’t seem to be factored in at all though.  Benitez wanted him out in 2008 not the other way around.  People can argue whether Alonso used that as an excuse to move to Madrid a year later or not but it doesn’t suddenly change what Benitez was doing the year before.

Just admit your first post was brain dead revisionist shite to try and fit some weird agenda you’re pushing and we will move on.

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Guest said:

No obviously.  But that’s not the point is it.  You talked a load of shite about how we should have signed Barry when Alonso left but the fans stopped it happening and were embarrassing over it and seem to have some deluded reasoning that everyone thought Barry was shite and the players we signed were better.

It got pointed out to you that the fans didn’t want Alonso sold so that we could bring in Barry to replace him because he was nowhere near as good as him.  By the time Alonso put a transfer request in the following season City had already signed Barry.  You then tried to make out as though you already knew this and changed your argument to that we should have sold Alonso in 2008 when Arsenal were willing to pay 15m for him so that we could sign Barry which is even more comical really for a whole host of reasons. Mainly that it would have completely derailed the potentially league winning team we had.  The fact that we had no idea that Alonso would want to leave a year later doesn’t seem to be factored in at all though.  Benitez wanted him out in 2008 not the other way around.  People can argue whether Alonso used that as an excuse to move to Madrid a year later or not but it doesn’t suddenly change what Benitez was doing the year before.

Just admit your first post was brain dead revisionist shite to try and fit some weird agenda you’re pushing and we will move on.

I didn't say the fans stopped it happening. Read back what I said. I said the fans acted disgracefully, abusing him. i didn't say the fans were responsible for the transfer failing.

Everyone did act like Barry was shite though, that was the whole point. The fans were offended by the idea of Barry replacing Alonso. That's exactly what happened.

How is it comical? we won nothing in 2008-2009. We would've been near the top of the table with Gareth Barry in midfield instead of Alonso, and then the years that followed playing Meireles, Poulson, Leiva, Spearing and Charlie Adam we could've had a better player in Barry giving solid 7 out of 10 performances instead.

Did Alonso agree personal terms with Arsenal and Juventus in 2008? If Alonso loved us so much why didn't he stay in 2009 once Rafa realised he was vital and the fans loved him? Why did he fuck off immediately?

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

I didn't say the fans stopped it happening. Read back what I said. I said the fans acted disgracefully, abusing him. i didn't say the fans were responsible for the transfer failing.

Everyone did act like Barry was shite though, that was the whole point. The fans were offended by the idea of Barry replacing Alonso. That's exactly what happened.

How is it comical? we won nothing in 2008-2009. We would've been near the top of the table with Gareth Barry in midfield instead of Alonso, and then the years that followed playing Meireles, Poulson, Leiva, Spearing and Charlie Adam we could've had a better player in Barry giving solid 7 out of 10 performances instead.

Did Alonso agree personal terms with Arsenal and Juventus in 2008? If Alonso loved us so much why didn't he stay in 2009 once Rafa realised he was vital and the fans loved him? Why did he fuck off immediately?

Honestly mate I’m done.

Do I want Coutinho back? No, and it’s not because of the way he left or any other sentimental reason. Only football reasons for my view.

Football’s a game in constant change. The last couple of years it’s been the pressing game that’s changed the most. Klopp started it (or maybe he’s not alone)  with his “counter pressing”, and has developed it further. So has Pep at MCity and to some extent also Pochettino at Spurs.

Basically it’s “all men to the pumps” pressing, not only the man on the ball, but also his passing alternatives in different ways.  If we win the ball - Great. If they punt it and we win the ball back we’ll be in a perfect position with many bodies forward - Great again. But it’s a dangerous tactic. If the opposition succeeds in passing through our press we’ll be outnumbered needing someone behind to stop them fast. At best it may lead to a yellow card. We saw it Tuesday with Matip “taking one for the team”. MCity players do it all the time.

So when playing that pressing game you can’t allow many slip ups. Basically you need to trust every single man to do their job. One man not taking out his man or cutting off an angle, giving them an escape rout, is very dangerous.

That’s’ where Coutinho would be a liability, He’d be great to have against lower teams parking the bus, but I’d want him nowhere near in a team playing top opposition i.e. in a CL final.

If he’d accept playing only against the dross OK. But that’s not anything we could do and still keep this “one for all - all for one” team spirit we’ve developed.

So a clear and sound thanks but no thanks from me.

Just now, The Guest said:

Honestly mate I’m done.

You're done because you can't argue with the facts. Alonso did agree personal terms with Arsenal and Juventus. He wanted to leave the year before but we didn't get the money we wanted. He left the very next season, as soon as he could. He handed in a transfer request to leave and people still blame Rafa. 

Alonso left us in the lurch. Rafa trying to sell him was the best thing to ever happen to Alonso because he could use it as a convenient excuse when he had no intention of staying anyway. If he loved us he would've turned down Real Madrid. At least the first time of asking, and given us one more year. He didn't did he? Because he had zero intention of staying. Judge a person by their actions, not what they say.

2008 - agrees personal terms with two teams (including a direct rival)

2009 - Hands in transfer request and leaves 

44 minutes ago, Boss said:

And rightly so.

That result was really satisfying the other night with regards the Coutinho move, we will have been to two champions leagues finals post him departing, I'm sure his constantly miserable little face will have paused and thought about that at various points over the past couple of days*.

*However if we had not sold him we couldn't have been able to get in VVD and Alisson who have been two of the main components in our recent successes.

Isn't this the traditional trade route:

1. Leaving Liverpool for Spain in quest to win Champions League.

2. Miss out on the medal when Liverpool wins it.

3. Fall down the pecking order in Spanish club.

4. Return to England and end up in Manchester.

I doubt MCity is interested. Oldham and Bury unlikely, leaving ManUtd as only logical sollution. He also fits their bill: A) Used to be a great player B) Not so much anymiore C) Fancies a huge salary.

2 hours ago, Boss said:

You're done because you can't argue with the facts. Alonso did agree personal terms with Arsenal and Juventus. He wanted to leave the year before but we didn't get the money we wanted. He left the very next season, as soon as he could. He handed in a transfer request to leave and people still blame Rafa. 

Alonso left us in the lurch. Rafa trying to sell him was the best thing to ever happen to Alonso because he could use it as a convenient excuse when he had no intention of staying anyway. If he loved us he would've turned down Real Madrid. At least the first time of asking, and given us one more year. He didn't did he? Because he had zero intention of staying. Judge a person by their actions, not what they say.

2008 - agrees personal terms with two teams (including a direct rival)

2009 - Hands in transfer request and leaves 

You’re a complete retard and I feel like I lose braincells every time I read and respond to one of your posts.

Very ineffectual in both games, doesn't look comfortable or happy there but you make your choice and he made his. I'd never say never to him coming back but I'd rather a speed merchant who's good to go into the front three rotation. The old adage of being careful what you wish for never felt more relevant. 

5 hours ago, Boss said:

Barry has never been a quality player. He was always around mid table PL quality and only won anything at City due to having top quality players around him. His last but one move to the Bloos was about his standard,around Villa standards to be honest. Ironically Milner played for Villa and City like Barry,but is miles better now than Barry ever was.