You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

16 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I thought that article from the Spanish (I think it was Marca, admittedly) press about Klopp's surprise about Barca's plan for Coutinho was very enlightening.

If you haven't read it, it basically says that Klopp saw Coutinho as physically incapable of making the kinds of runs needed in Barca's 4-3-3 as a midfielder. He required more recovery time after sprints than a midfielder gets, making it pretty hard to play him there for 90 minutes.

Don't know how much truth there is in it but it does explain why we rarely saw Coutinho in the midfield, despite it being on paper a good idea. It's also why I'd be shocked if we were ever interested in going back for him. Klopp wants his midfielders to be physically elite as you can see by the ones he's bought: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Fabinho, Gini and Keita. And if we're looking for a wide left player to back up Sadio it will be someone a lot more similar to him or Salah than Coutinho.

Pulisic?

I find it strange this "he can't play in midfield", which is pretty much what he did for us last season and had his best figures for us in his years at the club. He's clearly a brilliant player and would enhance our squad for the run in. Would he maybe be the main man now? Maybe not as we have improved and have salah, but we'd have more chance of winning the league this season with him than without him. There's people on here would have us pay 60m for fekir, who has knees held together with super noodles and has never played in this league. Coutinho would be less of a risk and would slot right in, for what, maybe 40m more? 

• Upvote 2

Barca didn't do him any favours by paying so much for him.

There was no way he could live-up to the hype of paying £142m.  

Had he cost a sane amount of money then the fans wouldn't be as damning of him.

The lesson is there for us though, there are reprecussions when you fork out loads for a player and you should only do so very carefully.  Allison and Van Dijk were obviously bought in the knowledge that they had the mental fortitude and application to live with their price tags.

However, the Thomas Lemar situation shows the other side of that, where we almost paid £65m for an attacking player who would have had a hiding to nothing unless he scored 30 goals each season.  In the end he went to Atletico Madrid for £53m, and has 2 goals in 17 games.  

2 minutes ago, Don Balon said:

Barca didn't do him any favours by paying so much for him.

There was no way he could live-up to the hype of paying £142m.  

Had he cost a sane amount of money then the fans wouldn't be as damning of him.

The lesson is there for us though, there are reprecussions when you fork out loads for a player and you should only do so very carefully.  Allison and Van Dijk were obviously bought in the knowledge that they had the mental fortitude and application to live with their price tags.

However, the Thomas Lemar situation shows the other side of that, where we almost paid £65m for an attacking player who would have had a hiding to nothing unless he scored 30 goals each season.  In the end he went to Atletico Madrid for £53m, and has 2 goals in 17 games.  

You forgot to mention he also has 2 Golas, some Hi-Teks, a couple of Nikes but he's still trying to get his first Adidas.

There's no way he'd come back anyways. But even with the attitude issues, I'd rather have Dembele if he was available. That kid is absolutely electric and we know Klopp loves him. 

Imagine having an attacker that is so two-footed and how unpredictable it is to defenders? And he's only 21. If the money is there, I'd pay 100+m for that, no way I'd pay 100+ so Coutinho can crawl back here.  

54 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's no way he'd come back anyways. But even with the attitude issues, I'd rather have Dembele if he was available. That kid is absolutely electric and we know Klopp loves him. 

Imagine having an attacker that is so two-footed and how unpredictable it is to defenders? And he's only 21. If the money is there, I'd pay 100+m for that, no way I'd pay 100+ so Coutinho can crawl back here.  

Is he a stud?