You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

I'd rather wait a till summer for the right player, than splash the cash on Carroll, Benteke and Aquilani.

I do agree, just wish we didn't have to keep waiting for the right player.

Had to wait 6 months for Van Dijk, 12 months for Keita, getting a bit annoying to think we are always waiting to reach our potential to achieve things.

What if for example Salah gets bored of waiting too? He leaves in the summer then we get told we need to wait 12 months for the perfect replacement.

Things like this are the reasons we are always a couple of steps behind our competitors.

• Upvote 1

There's a difference between waiting a few months to address an existing gap and actively creating a gap mid-season without a replacement lined up.

Yes, there is. The previous was much worse as we had zero good players to cover. Sorry, going with Klopp on this one if that’s what he chooses to do.

Yes, there is. The previous was much worse as we had zero good players to cover. Sorry, going with Klopp on this one if that’s what he chooses to do.

We'll find out soon enough - he's created a massive rod for his own back if we don't get top 4... 

Im happy for him.

Signed him for 8m and selling him for 145m.

Been a brilliant player giving us some great memories.

Fantastic bit of business really that all clubs with poss exception of City have to face up to at some point.

Kane will leave Spurs, no doubt about it, Sanchez will leave Arsenal, DeGea will leave United.

Bit dissapointed we seem to have distanced ourselves from Mahrez.

Surely something is in the pipeline as this move appears to have been agreed in the summer

If I had personally made a profit of 137 million quid I would be very happy with business like that.

On a more serious note and this point was made on the Sunday supplement this morning. While he is a big loss to us and we will miss him I don't think he is as much if a loss to us as Suarez was. I agree that he was about the 5th best player in the league and we have got a fucking very good deal selling him, this of course will only be a good deal if we get a good replacement for him.

All in all I think VVD and a good attacking midfielder as well as Keita I think will make us a stronger team next season than we have been this season.

• Upvote 1

Great player, going to miss him personally, and our team will as well. We have next to no threat from distance now, and our only other consistent way of turning defence into attack is Salah and his ability to receive the ball in tight spots

That being said, I'm with Klopp on this one. He's big on team dynamics and comraderie. It's one of the reasons why Sakho is at Palace and it's probably the main reason why Barca get Phil now and not in the summer. Klopp trusts himself to coach even more out fo this group of players (especially now that VVD has arrived), and would rather work with inferior players that really want to do a job for the club.

Whoever we bring in (or don't), I'm backing us to be more solid defensively for the rest of the year. This will also lead to us being a bit more boring to watch. Without Phil we won't transition so easily, and teams parking the bus might be even worse breaking down. We will not be as susceptible to the counter though. For all of Phil's brilliance, he was also the main culprit for losing the ball in midfield, and seldom able to stop opponent's fast breaks once doing so.

Our chances of doing something in the CL this year decreased greatly (especially if no eligible player is brought in). We'll be fine in the league though, we were never cathcing City, and the other four clubs are all going to drop points left, right and centre. I still think we will finish at least 3rd. 

Anyway, onwards and upwards. 

• Upvote 1

He should do what he thinks best with his knowledge of the situation. I trust his judgment much more than your bleating. Ain’t that right, Big Virg.

Yawn, what a boring load of sycophancy. Why don't we just close this entire forum then? If everybody should just 'trust his judgement' without reservation, there's little reason to discuss or critique anything, right?

I love Klopp but I will not deify him. Just like I didn't vilify Rodgers. I wish people were less partisan when it came to judging our club's business, on and off the field. 

A lot of Liverpool fans (not just me) will question why we sold our best player in January (after knowing he wanted out with a passion for the previous 6 months), without identifying and securing a replacement or two.

And they would be right to do so.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yawn, what a boring load of sycophancy. Why don't we just close this entire forum then? If everybody should just 'trust his judgement' without reservation, there's little reason to discuss or critique anything, right?

I love Klopp but I will not deify him. Just like I didn't vilify Rodgers. I wish people were less partisan when it came to judging our club's business, on and off the field.

A lot of Liverpool fans (not just me) will question why we sold our best player in January (after knowing he wanted out with a passion for the previous 6 months), without identifying and securing a replacement or two.

I think the reason comes down to basically a business decision. We have got top dollar for him this window whereas in the summer we perhaps wouldn't have. He wanted out so klopp has thought fuck it let him go it was probably a case if all things considered it was the best decision maybe. He could have become a major sulk, or maybe as I posted earlier he isn't as much of a loss as people think he is going to be.

I think the reason comes down to basically a business decision. We have got top dollar for him this window whereas in the summer we perhaps wouldn't have. He wanted out so klopp has thought fuck it let him go it was probably a case if all things considered it was the best decision maybe. He could have become a major sulk, or maybe as I posted earlier he isn't as much of a loss as people think he is going to be.

I totally accept that it probably was, even though I don't agree to the logic that we wouldn't have got top dollar in the summer in the midst of a World Cup.

I don't care that we sold him, to be honest. What I care about is that we didn't spend the last 6 months putting in place a replacement, or at least didn't spend this entire month trying to do so before selling him on the last day.

Klopp drove home the point that Coutinho was telling everybody, repeatedly, that he wanted out. Why didn't Klopp and the club identify targets months ago and begin discussions? Why have we not planned for this if it was all so inevitable? Amateurish.

Coutinho was off the minute the VVD was inked. He likely would have been gone in the summer had we got VVD then.

I totally accept that it probably was, even though I don't agree to the logic that we wouldn't have got top dollar in the summer in the midst of a World Cup.

I don't care that we sold him, to be honest. What I care about is that we didn't spend the last 6 months putting in place a replacement, or at least didn't spend this entire month trying to do so before selling him on the last day.

Klopp drove home the point that Coutinho was telling everybody, repeatedly, that he wanted out. Why didn't Klopp and the club identify targets months ago and begin discussions? Why have we not planned for this if it was all so inevitable? Amateurish.

Coutinho was off the minute the VVD was inked. He likely would have been gone in the summer had we got VVD then.

Maybe this was the point.

Are we stronger with VVD and no coutinho or are we stronger with coutinho and no VVD.

Maybe so, but I can't get on board with that. 

Once Bobby/Mane/Salah get an injury, we're fucked. We're already semi-fucked, but can at least hope that those three and Lallana/Ox can conjure up something between them. 

We were already an attacker light with Coutinho. We are using Dom Solanke as a back up striker for fucks sake.

Maybe this was the point.

Are we stronger with VVD and no coutinho or are we stronger with coutinho and no VVD.

Well, let's break this down.

If we are selling Coutinho to fund VVD, then surely not a single fan can be happy with that fact? Surely? I personally don't think we are, and therefore I don't know why it has to be one or the other.

Well, let's break this down.

If we are selling Coutinho to fund VVD, then surely not a single fan can be happy with that fact? Surely? I personally don't think we are, and therefore I don't know why it has to be one or the other.

Do you really think FSG would have spent 75 million on VVD if they didn't have the coutinho money?

Let's not forget city were also in for vvd so maybe we did need to sell to buy. The fact still remains coutinho was going to leave regardless it was just a matter of time.

Judging by the lack of rumoured activity, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Lallana are the replacements. Coutinho was forced to stay because of Lallana's injury. That's all there is to it.

FSG being mingebags again. They'd never have sanctioned those massive fees without knowing the Coutinho money was a strong possibility. 

Klopp has proven he's prepared to wait for the players he want though. I'd also argue that both Mane and Salah are better players.

I've seen plenty of reasons for being down in the dumps as a Liverpool fan over the last few years, but losing one of about four attacking players from our midfield for a stupendous amount of cash when he wants to desperately go anyway isn't one of them.

I'd even argue that perhaps Coutinho isn't the type of player Klopp wants anyway. I could be wrong, but the side he's building looks like Bayern in style, a team based on pace and power with attacking wide men.

Coutinho is a diminutive picker of pockets who I'd honestly suggest is much more suited to a Spanish or Italian side. That's NOT to say he wasn't boss for us, but I just don't see his loss as being as cataclysmic as is being painted.

Pretty reasonable observations, M.

I actually think Coutinho's shooting and scoring from distance and free kicks are his best attributes at the moment. Very very valuable and useful obviously

When team's park the bus - which they don't so much in Spain perhaps - he often looks like a bloke in his own personal labyrinth.

Anyway, he's gone and 412 pages is quite enough.  I need to shut up.