You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

It's sad to see all the ill will towards Coutinho. He gave us five years, and played at 100% since is transfer request was turned down in the summer.

I wish him all the best in his future career.

We've got over 10 times what we paid for him. He owes very little to the club as far as I'm concerned.

We will see what happens in the window with signing a replacement, however, its incredibly frustrating that we can have our best player taken from us, at a crucial part of the season, possibly beyond if we are to cement our place again as a regular CL team, yet in the same breath we already have local journalists telling us we have to wait to sign a replacement. We are supposed to be one of the biggest clubs in the world both commercially and in terms of trophies, we just had our pants pulled down in public yet when it comes to us going out to get a replacement, its beyond us.

This isn't a surprise to anyone. Everyone knew he was going to be off, so why weren't we starting to negotiate for his replacement in the summer with the view of doing what Barca have just done. Is it because Keita is his replacement?

Its not necessarily about how good the player fits into the team,its system and his role in it. Coutinho is miles better than Lallana as a player but Lallana,it can be argued fits just as well into the side. The question marks over Lallana are less about ability and more about fitness,or lack of. Coutinho didn't have too many injuries and I do think we need to replace him but not necessarily for a like for like player. Can's move,Henderson and Lallana's lack of fitness mean we will be light on bodies for the rest of the campaign. This is probably the biggest criticism of FSG doing the transfer now.

He fits well because he harries the opposition, closes down the space and is one of the main figureheads of the press. Coutinho playing there masks the fact that Lallana is largely ineffective at doing anything else. When he's asked to play the chipped balls to Salah and Mane that Coutinho produces, dribble through the opposition midfield or have a crack from distance, you'll see how ineffective he is. 

He's not a creative player. He's a supplement to a creative player. 

• Upvote 3

We will see what happens in the window with signing a replacement, however, its incredibly frustrating that we can have our best player taken from us, at a crucial part of the season, possibly beyond if we are to cement our place again as a regular CL team, yet in the same breath we already have local journalists telling us we have to wait to sign a replacement. We are supposed to be one of the biggest clubs in the world both commercially and in terms of trophies, we just had our pants pulled down in public yet when it comes to us going out to get a replacement, its beyond us.

This isn't a surprise to anyone. Everyone knew he was going to be off, so why weren't we starting to negotiate for his replacement in the summer with the view of doing what Barca have just done. Is it because Keita is his replacement?

Klopp has proven he's prepared to wait for the players he want though. I'd also argue that both Mane and Salah are better players.

I've seen plenty of reasons for being down in the dumps as a Liverpool fan over the last few years, but losing one of about four attacking players from our midfield for a stupendous amount of cash when he wants to desperately go anyway isn't one of them.

I'd even argue that perhaps Coutinho isn't the type of player Klopp wants anyway. I could be wrong, but the side he's building looks like Bayern in style, a team based on pace and power with attacking wide men.

Coutinho is a diminutive picker of pockets who I'd honestly suggest is much more suited to a Spanish or Italian side. That's NOT to say he wasn't boss for us, but I just don't see his loss as being as cataclysmic as is being painted.

• Upvote 3

It's a smallish sample size but we've actually been better without him this season. We've picked up more points per game and goals per game with him out of the lineup than with him in it.

We'll undoubtedly miss him and we should absolutely get someone in ASAP, but this isn't a total disaster. 

I'm going to miss the little fucker so much, those stats about being better without him are a load of bollix, remember similar in summer of 2013 about Suarez, thank God we ignored that. The excitement i got when Coutinho got the ball, that dribbling, close control, the feints and drop of shoulder, making top level players look like lead footed cloggers who had 10 pints the night before. He can play any pass, with any part of his foot and without doubt the best exponent from range in the game. Fuck.

• Upvote 3

Im happy for him.

Signed him for 8m and selling him for 145m.

Been a brilliant player giving us some great memories. 

Fantastic bit of business really that all clubs with poss exception of City have to face up to at some point.

Kane will leave Spurs, no doubt about it, Sanchez will leave Arsenal, DeGea will leave United. 

Bit dissapointed we seem to have distanced ourselves from Mahrez.

Surely something is in the pipeline as this move appears to have been agreed in the summer 

• Upvote 1

It's a smallish sample size but we've actually been better without him this season. We've picked up more points per game and goals per game with him out of the lineup than with him in it.

We'll undoubtedly miss him and we should absolutely get someone in ASAP, but this isn't a total disaster. 

These stats usually mean very little though. I think we used to have similar stats about us picking more points without Gerrard and Suarez as well. I think that's just the psychological effect of the collective team effort to keep the team afloat knowing that Gerrard/Suarez/Phil's return is around the corner. Probably not too dissimilar to the new manager bounce effect. Works for a few games, but it is a different matter if you have to do it for 20 games in a row.

• Upvote 1

Selling (one of) your best player in the middle of the season is never good. Selling him without having a replacement lined up despite knowing for six months that he wanted to leave is at best incompetence of the highest level. 

If we can't get his replacement until the summer we should never have sold him now.

Even if we have already spent his money on his replacements, we should not have sold him now.

• Upvote 4