You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Why are people surprised that FSG are not going to throw hundreds of millions of pounds in the vague hope that a team could be assembled that might have a slightly larger chance of winning something?

It won’t happen, so it makes no sense to be angry about it every waking hour. Perhaps we should all wish very hard that a new owner will arrive in a cloud of diamond dust riding a unicorn.

I don’t believe FSG are willing to squander their own money, but nor do I think they are asset strippers and sucking money out of the club. They’ll get their money when they sell.

If we win something, and to be fair we have a better chance than Leicester, then if won’t be because of FSG any more than it will be despite FSG.

Speaking personally there is no surprise at all, see the FSG thread if you like (I'm sure you don't like).

And speaking personally I'm not angry about FSG every waking hour, far from it. But when it appears they're on the verge of selling our "best player" again then I do get a bit pissed off because to me it's a reminder of how far away we are from seriously competing.

• Upvote 1

VALVERDE TALKS COUTINHO

Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde admits Philippe Coutinho is a “great player” but refused to comment on a potential move for the Liverpool man.

Liverpool have softened their stance and are now open to the option of selling Coutinho in January, according to Guillem Balague.

Valverde said: "I've got nothing to say about Coutinho. We respect the fact he plays for another club.

“I discover many things here, which I didn't know before, of they are true, which I don't know too. Coutinho is a player from other team and he plays for other team. He is a great player and we don't know what will happen in the future but I like more the players I have now on the squad. We will see if he comes or not.”

Speaking personally there is no surprise at all, see the FSG thread if you like (I'm sure you don't like).

And speaking personally I'm not angry about FSG every waking hour, far from it. But when it appears they're on the verge of selling our "best player" again then I do get a bit pissed off because to me it's a reminder of how far away we are from seriously competing.

If the player wasn't faking injuries and along with his agent and family, fabricating lies about some rift with Klopp, we wouldn't be selling him.

Just like we wouldn't have sold Suarez if he hadn't whored himself out to Arsenal or bitten people to facilitate his exit. 

Under these owners, good players that have wanted to stay haven't ever been let go under the pretext of making profits. 

VALVERDE TALKS COUTINHO

Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde admits Philippe Coutinho is a “great player” but refused to comment on a potential move for the Liverpool man.

Liverpool have softened their stance and are now open to the option of selling Coutinho in January, according to Guillem Balague.

Valverde said: "I've got nothing to say about Coutinho. We respect the fact he plays for another club.

“I discover many things here, which I didn't know before, of they are true, which I don't know too. Coutinho is a player from other team and he plays for other team. He is a great player and we don't know what will happen in the future but I like more the players I have now on the squad. We will see if he comes or not.”

Fucking hell they are unbelievable

• Upvote 1

I am no apologist for FSG.  I think they're doing more or less what was expected.  The FSG thread is full of the same stuff.   It just beggars belief that people can get so angry about it.  It's not like FSG wouldn't sell if the unicorn bearing the saviour did pitch up.  

VALVERDE TALKS COUTINHO

They know they dont need to agitate the player to move now, as they know its a done deal.

So that quote looks like they are being very corteous.

He's well gone.

I can understand Klopp’s view that you let a player go if he wants off. As ever, it comes down to timing, and money. Do we have the replacement? Is the offer adequate?

I’d like to think that if he is going we agree a deal now, for the summer. Put the speculation to rest, everyone knows where they stand, Coutinho finishes the season here, (and to be fair when he has played he gives his all) and we have time to line up deal/s we need to make sure the team isn’t short ahead of next season.

We hold the cards due to time left on contract. I’d like to think that’s how it will pan out,

Too much of this soap for me, recurring every other year now. It will go on until we get back to the top. But the way Klopp is building we'll get there soon. Buy three top players every season and turn them top notch a la Mane and Salah. That way we could afford to lose one every now and then. If Barca cough up 130 m (of which 100m is up front) , just sell and get Lemar and unearth another gem. That is Klopp's job and he is good at it. Believe me we would have built a stronger squad with better depth. Coutinho is a very good player but he's no Suarez nor Souness. We march on!  

To me, it is simple. We tell him the same as in the summer - you are not being sold, so this is all that you have for now, make the most of it. I am also against do any deals now for the summer. We may win a couple of things between now and then and, given that a large part of the appeal of the Spanish sides is that they win stuff - I don't entirely buy the 'he is latin, these clubs are in the genes' stuff....be interested to see how long the queue to go to Barca would be if they were mid-table - so let's try to win a few things ourselves and then see how the land lies. Also, the WC is going to change valuations so why be in a rush to market now? Hold firm. He will man up and play, just like he has since September. 

Beating Barcelona in this year's Champions League Final would be nice.

Or at any point. Beat them, and then remind Phil that they weren't arsed about him in the summer until they got cucked by PSG/Neymar, and even then were not willing to pay his value.

Stand firm, refuse to be low-balled, win stuff. Things change quickly. 

Too much of this soap for me, recurring every other year now. It will go on until we get back to the top. But the way Klopp is building we'll get there soon. Buy three top players every season and turn them top notch a la Mane and Salah. That way we could afford to lose one every now and then. If Barca cough up 130 m (of which 100m is up front) , just sell and get Lemar and unearth another gem. That is Klopp's job and he is good at it. Believe me we would have built a stronger squad with better depth. Coutinho is a very good player but he's no Suarez nor Souness. We march on!  

I don't agree that it will end even if we were winning trophies. Look at Neymar going from Barcelona to PSG. The way football's gone, there'll always be a few other sides with bigger budgets than many national governments.

At least we're on the right track in terms of future success, though.

Liverpool have made contact with Monaco once again for Thomas Lemar, writes @johncrossmirror

Liverpool have admitted defeat in their attempts to persuade Philippe Coutinho to ignore the overtures of Barcelona, after he made clear he will not agree a new, improved contract because he has set his heart on a move to the Nou Camp. (@johncrossmirror)

Lemar is also wanted by Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal, but has indicated he is leaning towards the lure of Klopp and his emerging young team. (@johncrossmirror)

It is understood Liverpool’s owner, Fenway Sports Group, will leave the final say on whether any bid is accepted to Klopp. (Paul Joyce)

Barcelona are readying a new bid for Coutinho, who wants to quit Liverpool this month, although it will take an offer in the region of €150 million (£133 million) for the club to consider selling. (Paul Joyce)

The issue for me is Lemar being cup-tied for the CL. I don't begrudge Coutinho wanting to go - all players are transient employees and we benefit more than most from that - but after the damp squib of our last CL campaign this feels like the comeback we all wanted. The chance to ruffle a few feathers in the latter rounds and make our mark is potentially season-defining for a young side developing under Klopp. 

Sell now, tie up Lemar, but both players stay at their respective clubs until the summer. Klopp's worked with players he knows are leaving six months later before and got good performances out of them.

• Upvote 2

The issue for me is Lemar being cup-tied for the CL. I don't begrudge Coutinho wanting to go - all players are transient employees and we benefit more than most from that - but after the damp squib of our last CL campaign this feels like the comeback we all wanted. The chance to ruffle a few feathers in the latter rounds and make our mark is potentially season-defining for a young side developing under Klopp. 

Sell now, tie up Lemar, but both players stay at their respective clubs until the summer. Klopp's worked with players he knows are leaving six months later before and got good performances out of them.

This would seem the least unpleasant outcome for us when you ignore the fantasy solutions of forcing him to stay, making him sit on the naughty step, telling Barca its £200 m or fuck off  etc etc. Reality is if he wants to go and the fee is significantly more than they offered in the summer without the ridiculous add on's he's going, I question whether we will get Lemar now or in the summer though.. Anyway we can all move on to Madrid's pursuit of Salah soon