You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Everyone bar Real Madrid, Man City, Bayern and PSG are selling clubs. Even massive footballing institutions like Barca and Man United have been forced to sell players they've wanted to keep.

That's how football works now. You're just out of the loop.

They don't make a habit of selling their best, or most promising, player every 18-24 months.

I'll assume you're okay with the fact we have been doing that under FSG, more or less.

Ok, so what's the problem?

It's fine for klopp if he's happy working like that. There aren't many jobs I wouldn't do for 7m a year. However, just because klopp is fine with it doesn't mean our owners aren't unambitious cunts who care only for money and have done a rather delightful job here of making it aboit klopp and not them. When the reality is we've seen it all before klopp joined the club.

They don't make a habit of selling their best, or most promising, player every 18-24 months.

I'll assume you're okay with the fact we have been doing that under FSG, more or less.

Yes, when players resort to faking injuries and biting opposing players to get away from the club, I'm perfectly fine with letting them go. 

The only poor sale we've made under FSG was Sterling. 

• Upvote 1

We’ve just spent 75 million on a centre half. Bit strange for a team that doesn’t want to win trophies... ah, fuck it.

Oh I think they're happy to spend money and make a show if it, as long as they've got more (or certainly not less) coming in.

We'll see anyway. Coutinho might not even go, or of he does Klopp may be given all the money to spend on players not already accounted for and if that happens I'll hold my hands up.

But it's not like we haven't seen this all play out before.

Yes, when players resort to faking injuries and biting opposing players to get away from the club, I'm perfectly fine with letting them go.

The only poor sale we've made under FSG was Sterling.

FSG have allowed*, and in some cases almost certainly encouraged with their lack of ambition, our 4 highest profile, or most promising or best, players to leave LFC. 4 in seven years.

edit * will have allowed, if Coutinho goes this window

Rafael Hernández‏ @RafaelH117 2m2 minutes ago

Barcelona will submit a big in the coming days for Coutinho, the approach has changed to reach a deal with Liverpool without turmoil. The Brazilian’s mutiny is about him being desperate to join the club, rather than “ordered” by Barça.

giphy.gif

We've got a pretty big game on friday. Sick of hearing about Coutinho.

If he goes, he goes.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's already all sorted and the official announcements are being held back until after the cup game to stop any aggro or a bad atmosphere.

There just doesn't seem to be the strength of denial or point blank refusals now that there were in the summer.

FSG have allowed, and in some cases almost certainly encouraged with their lack of ambition, our 4 highest profile, or most promising or best, players to leave LFC. 4 in seven years.

Why are people surprised that FSG are not going to throw hundreds of millions of pounds in the vague hope that a team could be assembled that might have a slightly larger chance of winning something?

It won’t happen, so it makes no sense to be angry about it every waking hour. Perhaps we should all wish very hard that a new owner will arrive in a cloud of diamond dust riding a unicorn.

I don’t believe FSG are willing to squander their own money, but nor do I think they are asset strippers and sucking money out of the club. They’ll get their money when they sell.

If we win something, and to be fair we have a better chance than Leicester, then if won’t be because of FSG any more than it will be despite FSG.

FSG have allowed, and in some cases almost certainly encouraged with their lack of ambition, our 4 highest profile, or most promising or best, players to leave LFC. 4 in seven years.

They have more than backed managers to replace those players. 

And you reckon he would be happy to take the flak for it if it isn’t his decision? He’s not Brendan Rodgers.

I don't think he'll view it like that.

Like I say he knows how it all works, he knows how a selling club works.

I don't think he'll get flak initially, he'll have some leeway due to the VVD signing and the way the team and other individuals are playing, and he'll have the confidence to think he can frame it in the right way. I don't think he'll get any significant flak unless the season goes seriously pear shaped, but he'll back himself on that score too.