You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

What players have left us recently because we didn't pay them enough? Or because we haven't been competitive for trophies?

I imagine quite a few have chose to join another club over us for those reasons but I cant think of many recently that have actually left the club because of them.

Coutinhos head would have been turned by Barca even if we were winning stuff.

Suarez would have gone anyway.

You'd be right about Sterling leaving for money/glory.

Other than that you're going back as far as Torres, Alonso and Mascherano which was 6 years, 2 managers and a different set of owners ago.

Torres wasn't different owners.   Torres & Babel was how they funded Suarez and Carroll.

Our issues in the past are not a lot different to now in footballing terms. H&G may have been bankrupting us off the pitch, but we started losing players to barca and Madrid when we stopped trying to be competitive and we became a selling club under H&G and winning became irrelevant. That's never changed, we're still a selling club and winning is irrelevant. Some payers will always want to move to a Madrid or barca. Sterling went to City though and suarez saw more chances of success at arsenal than here.

Outside of players chasing the dream of barca or Madrid, others have different lifestyle choices and providing they're being satisfied on a sporting level and are being rewarded in a fair way, have no need to go to a specific club. Like I said, we might not be able to keep Coutinho no matter what, but if we had a culture of winning, we might keep some of our best players. And maybe after 10 years of success with 2 or 3 PL's and 1 or 2 CL's we might actually be a club where people want to join and not join to find a path elsewhere.

I do not think it matters whether a club is successful or not. The fact is Real and Barcelona now joined to a lesser extent by Manchester City and PSG can lure a player to them the latter two mainly just on money although I am sure City will add winning trophies as well. Even there I see Real especially doing a number on both City and PSG if they want one of their players. There is already talk of Neymar to Real. I can only say what I believe. Coutinho would want to join Real or Barcelona even if we had won titles. In fact I would say it would be more likely as he and others would seek new challenges. Even Kevin Keegan wanted to leave when we were winning titles home and abroad so that just adds weight to it.

Keegan was the exception, not the rule. 

It is about club culture and mentality. We see ourselves as a stepping stone, everyone sees us as a stepping stone. The owners operating objective is as a stepping stone, buy potential and sell for profit. They are not here to win silverware, so why should the players be ?

We now have fans saying, we have to let him go , so other players will come to us knowing they can be sold on in the future. Club culture and mentality.

Selling Phil in January is not to the benefit of LFC, that should be the only priority. 

He goes on strike for 6 months, which he won't do, we don't pay him. It will not effect his fee in the summer. However, it may tell the vultures they can no longer feed off us. 

• Upvote 2

It is about club culture and mentality. We see ourselves as a stepping stone, everyone sees us as a stepping stone. The owners operating objective is as a stepping stone, buy potential and sell for profit. They are not here to win silverware, so why should the players be ?

We now have fans saying, we have to let him go , so other players will come to us knowing they can be sold on in the future. Club culture and mentality.

Selling Phil in January is not to the benefit of LFC, that should be the only priority.

He goes on strike for 6 months, which he won't do, we don't pay him. It will not effect his fee in the summer. However, it may tell the vultures they can no longer feed off us.

On the flip side, Barcelona have the mentality of being the ultimate destination and present themselves as such.

Without much thought players see that too, and so do the selling clubs who just accept that big bad Barca are going to do what they want anyway.

it's like a self fulfilling prophecy, Barca/Real tell everyone they are top dogs, top players believe that and move there, then they stay as top dogs, afterwards players think well it must be true then because all the other top players are going there.

With Neymar fucking them off and us refusing to sell I'd imagine they'd start to lose some of that shine.

Is it wrong i hope that we get them next in the champions league and after a 0-0 at Anfield we go the Barcelona and are one nil down in the 3rd mins of extra time and after Mane dives for a freekick,VVD heads in from a offside position to take us through on away goals. Then in the final game of the season Coutinho pulls a hamstring and misses the world cup.

And they find structural damage in the new camp and have to tear in down over the summer

Is it wrong i hope that we get them next in the champions league and after a 0-0 at Anfield we go the Barcelona and are one nil down in the 3rd mins of extra time and after Mane dives for a freekick,VVD heads in from a offside position to take us through on away goals. Then in the final game of the season Coutinho pulls a hamstring and misses the world cup.

And they find structural damage in the new camp and have to tear in down over the summer

You're thinking about it way too much.  Best just to wait for the next El Rojo tweet.

. e011de11e10a1b762851e3ec621f2de3.gif

Or maybe they just sign Allardyce as their new manager, much more destructive. 

Absolutely spot on Scooby. Your key line for me though is our owners aren't here to win, so why would the players be.

Utopia

I think the surprise would be if Barca deemed that it was necessary to bring him in for January. I'm not arsed if it's Jan or the summer, but it makes very little sense for them to bid for him now, unless they're simply trying to set-up a deal in principle for the summer, like we did with Keita.

Maybe, from Phil's point of view, he doesn't want to move house in the summer, during a World Cup?

The PL season ends on 13 May, and the FA Cup final is 19 May, and (god-willing) the CL final is 26 May.

Most international teams will have 2 or 3 friendlies before the World Cup kicks off, eg back in 2014 England had friendlies on 4 June before their first WC game on 14 June.

It's perhaps helpful to consider that Coutinho is a human, and he actually wants to have a holiday with his family without stressing about a transfer and them moving house and getting settled in a new city.

He gets paid ridiculous amounts of money for his chosen profession and if he wants to move early on after signing a new contract for even more money than he was already getting then he'll have to live with the stress won't he, the poor flower.

• Upvote 2

Unless I am missing something I just can't see any reason at all why we sell now.

We need him as our season is in the balance and he is tied to a long contract.

They don't really need him now - they are walking their league and he can't play in Europe.

As for him settling there etc and not wanting to move in a World Cup summer blah blah blah well that is not our problem - it is his and Barcelona's in the summer, why should we give a shite about that.

We won't be able to get a suitable replacement/spend the money this month - why should we weaken ourselves when we have Top 4 in the balance fighting against very good sides to get in there, when we are still in Europe and have trophy hopes still alive.

He isn't gonna down tools or strike not with a World Cup in the summer...

So get your head down, lad - achieve something here in the remaining 5 months of the season, tell your agent to shut up and have your move at the end of the season.

Id imagine this deal is pretty much already done. And what you see in the Media is pretty much just the PR battle.

In my opinion just like the Van Dijk deal, we would have been talking to the other club since the transfer window shut in the summer, which is why the deal got signed off pretty much as soon as the window opened.

He will be gone before the end of Jan no doubt about it. I just hope we have got his replacement sorted.

Unless I am missing something I just can't see any reason at all why we sell now.

We need him as our season is in the balance and he is tied to a long contract.

They don't really need him now - they are walking their league and he can't play in Europe.

As for him settling there etc and not wanting to move in a World Cup summer blah blah blah well that is not our problem - it is his and Barcelona's in the summer, why should we give a shite about that.

We won't be able to get a suitable replacement/spend the money this month - why should we weaken ourselves when we have Top 4 in the balance fighting against very good sides to get in there, when we are still in Europe and have trophy hopes still alive.

He isn't gonna down tools or strike not with a World Cup in the summer...

So get your head down, lad - achieve something here in the remaining 5 months of the season, tell your agent to shut up and have your move at the end of the season.

i think that's a good assessment, but we don't know what we sold to him in the summer to get him playing again. My guess is we've given him and his agent a number that if it is met, he can go. I have zero real info on this, just what I am interpreting from how all the local journo's are framing the current situation. We can see there's no sporting reason to sell now and you would imagine financially we get the same deal now or the summer (in fact can even agree the deal now and he leaves in the summer), but it seems we are being prepared by the press for a January exit. I can only assume this is a path we have given the player in august to make his back recover. 

i think that's a good assessment, but we don't know what we sold to him in the summer to get him playing again. My guess is we've given him and his agent a number that if it is met, he can go. I have zero real info on this, just what I am interpreting from how all the local journo's are framing the current situation. We can see there's no sporting reason to sell now and you would imagine financially we get the same deal now or the summer (in fact can even agree the deal now and he leaves in the summer), but it seems we are being prepared by the press for a January exit. I can only assume this is a path we have given the player in august to make his back recover.

I think sadly you may be spot on there

It has to be a huge fee seeing as we'd be weakening ourselves in the Champions League and having to integrate a new signing, assuming that's what's happening. I would expect us to be suitably compensated for the disruption and for having to deal with those arrogant, entitled twats.