You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Ed Aarons @ed_aarons  1h1 hour ago
More

PSG knew that #Seri's release clause was only valid outside France and so offered more than €40m, causing Barça to pull out of race

That doesn't make sense to me. PSG offering more would not affect Barcelona's ability to trigger his release clause.

Edit: To follow up on that, this is from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/24/psg-barcelona-jean-seri-fee

"It is understood that while Seri’s agreement allowed him to join a club outside France for €40m, that did not apply for any domestic move and PSG therefore decided to offer substantially more. In response, Nice informed Barcelona that their asking price had now increased to €50m, causing them to withdraw their interest on Wednesday."

Since when has a release clause been negotiable? Sounds like the clause is bollocks to me.

It isn't a clause just a verbal agreement with the player. Obviously if there's a higher offer on the table Nice can't be expected to sell lower.

They can if the agreement was to sell to a foreign club for 40 million.

First rule of agreements - get it on paper and signed.

They're in the big game now and they don't like it. Everyone gets taken for a ride. If you want to sign an in demand player who's tied down at a club then pay what they want or don't sign him. They've had years of being able to just get clubs to fold to them because the players they are after will kick up a stink. It was never going to last forever and this appears to be the summer where a lot are saying no to them.

They know what will happen the first time they properly pay over the odds. Any time they go for a player after that will mean they can't pull their old tricks. The other option is to not over pay and that will hopefully mean they go into the season with what they've got. They're in a catch 22 and I hope it all comes crashing down.

They're in the big game now and they don't like it. Everyone gets taken for a ride. If you want to sign an in demand player who's tied down at a club then pay what they want or don't sign him. They've had years of being able to just get clubs to fold to them because the players they are after will kick up a stink. It was never going to last forever and this appears to be the summer where a lot are saying no to them.

They know what will happen the first time they properly pay over the odds. Any time they go for a player after that will mean they can't pull their old tricks. The other option is to not over pay and that will hopefully mean they go into the season with what they've got. They're in a catch 22 and I hope it all comes crashing down.

You talking about us or Barca?

• Upvote 2

Unless we sign good players to go straight into the team - minimum top class defender, plus a top class Coutinho replacement (though ideally I'd want another midfielder and a back up winger too) then Coutinho stays. The money is no good unless we sign players. We have money and can't sign the ones we want. I'd be skeptical about having even more money as it will be squirreled away.

If players want more control, they need exit clauses in their contracts. It's not difficult. The terms would all be laid out. In exchange the club signs them up on a longer deal.

Coutinho has no exit clause, so if a deal with Barcelona is to be struck, it has to be win-win, or else we won't sell. Our win is good players. If we had VVD and Keita already here, and say decided to buy Aubameyang or Draxler with the Coutinho money, fine, go then.

But as things stand we are well short ourselves and in no position to deal.

Yeah I agree to a certain extent. From an objective POV I'd be on Southampton's side with Van Dijk like I am with liverpools on Coutinho. There needs to reach a point where clubs say no and the players and agents need to learn a lesson. Contracts need to mean something or the whole system falls down.

I do think we have overpaid for players previously even though some of them worked out (some obvious ones haven't). I don't remember Barca ever overpaying for a player that was in demand. If we end up buying Van Dijk for 60/70m though I think that would put us in the next stratosphere when discussing future transfers which the club should worry about.

• Upvote 1