You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Madrid are about to enter a 12 month transfer ban aren't they? As for barca, last I read, they're skint again, fuck knows how turning over what they do. I'm sure city and maybe Chelsea would have the wedge to turn our owners head.

Not sure Barca are 'skint' as such (although they do have large outgoings the new Nike deal will help and and they were making a modest profit).

The biggest problem they have is an article in the clubs bylaws that was agreed in 2013 that says that, using a calculation they call the 'maximum net debt to EBITDA ratio' they cannot exceed the set ratio by the end of a fixed period, it's intended to protects the club from from repeating the mistakes they made under previous chairmen (Laporta as an example).

They had a set ratio of 2.75 in 2014-15 (which the exceeded), 2.5 in 2015-16, 2.25 in 2016-17 and 2017-18 onwards it's set to 2.

Is the board fail to meet that target then they are obliged to resign which will trigger a new election.

Not sure Barca are 'skint' as such (although they do have large outgoings the new Nike deal will help and and they were making a modest profit).

The biggest problem they have is an article in the clubs bylaws that was agreed in 2013 that says that, using a calculation they call the 'maximum net debt to EBITDA ratio' they cannot exceed the set ratio by the end of a fixed period, it's intended to protects the club from from repeating the mistakes they made under previous chairmen (Laporta as an example).

They had a set ratio of 2.75 in 2014-15 (which the exceeded), 2.5 in 2015-16, 2.25 in 2016-17 and 2017-18 onwards it's set to 2.

Is the board fail to meet that target then they are obliged to resign which will trigger a new election.

I'm not sure I understand what that means really. All I know is I was reading they have next to nothing to spend. I don't understand the numbers you have there, I get there some ratio going on, but ratio of what exactly?

He just needed a few more players of his quality, it was obviously when he first arrived he was playing through balls through his arse to Sturridge, back when he had pace to burn and intelligence to match it. Coutinho looked unreal from February to May that season.

Then the next he struggled a bit until Suarez came back, he had another player on his wavelength and had an unbelievable season.

Then he had that shitty season we all had to suffer through and I think it hit Coutinho the most, instead of a free flowing Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling attack he had Rickie Lambert and Balotelli to aim at, he had weak shit like Markovic one side who hid and didn't really want the ball.

Then we brought in Klopp and Bobby Firm and he's back to having players to bounce off, he links up fantastic with Firmino because the play little one touch one twos, then he has Mane making runs and Gini from deep and he's back thriving again.

I do however think that he's that good we'll be struggling to keep hold of him in the summer if he continues the way he has started this season, he and Neymar have long friendship and Neymars doing Barcas dirty work by constantly praising him and saying how he'd be a good fit for Barca. I bet Suarez has been in his ear also, I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't told Enrique or whoevers in charge of there transfers as soon as he arrived there to keep an eye on him as he has massive potential. The only player in the league id swap him for is de Bruyne and that's just from a consistency point of view, I've seen de Bruyne do it constantly over a season for a few years now in the Bundesliga. Couts is getting there.

• Upvote 2

Surely you mean debt servicing costs to ebitda?

I'm not sure I understand what that means really. All I know is I was reading they have next to nothing to spend. I don't understand the numbers you have there, I get there some ratio going on, but ratio of what exactly?

It appears they use the net debt divided by the clubs EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization).

A quick google search suggests that a ratio of less than 3 is considered in the normal range and greater than 4 is a concern.

Surely you mean debt servicing costs to ebitda?

Nearly all the explanations of Barcelona's use of the calculation seem to relate to debt or net debt, whether it's a simplification for dullards like me, a translation issue or a an engineered calculation to make the result that bit better/manageable for the board I don't know although investopedia also has it down as net debt.

Nearly all the explanations of Barcelona's use of the calculation seem to relate to debt or net debt, whether it's a simplification for dullards like me, a translation issue or a an engineered calculation to make the result that bit better/manageable for the board I don't know although investopedia also has it down as net debt.

No, just checked and it is pure debt. Didn't realise it was a rule from their own bylaws, I was talking about usual bank ratios for lending as they usually aim to be above 2:1 on ebitda to dsc

No, just checked and it is pure debt. Didn't realise it was a rule from their own bylaws, I was talking about usual bank ratios for lending as they usually aim to be above 2:1 on ebitda to dsc

Yeah, seems a relatively sensible approach to safeguarding the club although depending on how rigidly they stick to it you may be a bit annoyed if they curbed spending because the ratio, while higher than agreed, is within a safe level.

It appears they use the net debt divided by the clubs EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization).

A quick google search suggests that a ratio of less than 3 is considered in the normal range and greater than 4 is a concern.

So what you're saying is they're comfortably within the norm, have set a high bar, but could spend if they wanted to ignore their own self imposed ratio?

I think if we just miss out on the league, it may have an impact.

On the flip side, if we win the league, he'll have played a massive part, which brings it's own problems.

Biggest hope I have is the bromance with Firmino and Mane.

So what you're saying is they're comfortably within the norm, have set a high bar, but could spend if they wanted to ignore their own self imposed ratio?

Would depend entirely on there ability to a) spend while maintaining the ratio or b ) how confident they are that they could fight off the call to resign if they are still exceeding it by 2018.

The Pending Nike deal should give them some room to manouvre.

We were led to believe the main reason we sold Suarez or Sterling was that they raised hell to get out. Is Coutinho inclined to do same? I don't believe so judging from all his utterances thus far ; he always says he's happy here but I know you can't put much stock in that. I'm closely watching his demeanor anyway and haven't seen anything suggesting otherwise. So those owners of ours have no excuse whatsoever to sell him, or anyone of our good players unless they say they want out, desperately.