You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Love watching him but he frustrates me no end because he should produce that every week with his talent.

If he played to his maximum potential every single week then you are talking lionel messi standard.

And lionel messi would never play for liverpool.

So shut the fuck up and enjoy his brilliance every other game or so.

People always want him off at half-time. He drifts in and out, scores and then all is forgotten. Was, is, will always be thus.

Yep. And he'd look twice as good with a bit more steel behind him in midfield and a striker who doesn't mind scoring in front of him.

Embarrassing that people doubted him, just look at how be plays the game his dribbling and first touch are just mesmerising shame he's surrounded by such shite.

Yep,  the way he passed the ball into the goal against spurs was class.

If he played to his maximum potential every single week then you are talking lionel messi standard. And lionel messi would never play for liverpool. So shut the fuck up and enjoy his brilliance every other game or so.

Yeah probably. I'm harsher on players that actually have talent. The likes of Milner, Lallana, Benteke etc. barely register as Liverpool players in my mind given who bought them.

He's a great player who is going to improve with better quality around him. I can see Barcelona looking to take him as Iniestas eventual successor. Cunts

Hopefully Barcelona's startling levels of smugness will ultimately consume them like a black hole and there won't be a football club left to take our best players.

In the meantime, I'll settle for Atletico beating them in Europe.

He's a great player who is going to improve with better quality around him. I can see Barcelona looking to take him as Iniestas eventual successor. Cunts

It's up to him and the rest of them to win things here before they inevitably fuck off

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He's the most gifted player at the club and has had another good season, but he was terrible last night. Usually, when he's not on it, he's still trying to thread a pass, or step inside and weave some magic, but he didn't bother at all.

I thought he was hungover.

As much as he went missing the attackers had no service from the midfield at all. We didn't keep possesion well enough. Can made loads of tackles but nobody was keeping the ball. I was calling for Allen on midway through the first half. We really lack somebody to link the midfield snd attack

The problem with Coutinho is that he'll either give you a moment of magic or nothing at all. He can be a match-winner but I don't think you can point to too many great overall performances on his part. Then again, we should probably be thankful for that as that is the reason why he is still at this club and not at Barca.

I also don't think his talents are maximized by playing with guys like Firmino and Lallana who look to occupy the same position as he does. You put him in the center with two quick wingers on either side and he'd be much better.

He was very ineffectual last night even though he can claim an assist for the goal. I said in the match thread afterwards that for all the flak Moreno is getting for his part in Sevilla's first goal, the root cause was that he had no back-up from Coutinho. Why the header out wasn't great, it then needed Coutinho to close down the attacker and allow Moreno to maintain his defensive line. Instead, Moreno ended up trying to close down the attacker, wasn't properly set and couldn't foul the opponent, and got done. Coutinho just didn't sense the danger and got caught on the wrong side.

He was very ineffectual last night even though he can claim an assist for the goal. I said in the match thread afterwards that for all the flak Moreno is getting for his part in Sevilla's first goal, the root cause was that he had no back-up from Coutinho. Why the header out wasn't great, it then needed Coutinho to close down the attacker and allow Moreno to maintain his defensive line. Instead, Moreno ended up trying to close down the attacker, wasn't properly set and couldn't foul the opponent, and got done. Coutinho just didn't sense the danger and got caught on the wrong side.

Lovren and Mignolet deserve far more blame than Countinho. After Moreno gets done, there are still 4 players between the Sevilla striker and the goal, yet he manages to tap it in inside our 6-yard-box.

• Upvote 2