You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

He makes it look so easy to the point where you're wondering why every player can't do that. Little genius, best signing we've made in years.

Spot on, thats exactly what I said yesterday to a friend.

Its incredible, he had a pretty average game (for him), given he was getting kicked the shit out of him at every opportunity - yet, he could have had two assists and a goal on another day.

The thing that impresses me most about him is his end product and chance creation.

• 2 weeks later...

A reasonable enough feature from today's Guardian:

Philippe Coutinho: Liverpool v Manchester United is why I left Italy | Football | The Guardian

Andy Hunter

The Guardian, Friday 30 August 2013 22.30 BST

Philippe Coutinho looks genuinely perplexed. It is not an expression associated with the Brazilian since he helped enlighten the Brendan Rodgers era at Liverpool seven months ago, but one that hammers home that a new chapter has begun in the rivalry with Manchester United.

Confusion reigns when Coutinho is asked whether he knew of David Moyes before his arrival in England. "What?" is the reply. Try again. Before coming to England, did you know who David Moyes was? "Who?" One last go. David Moyes? "No."

Coutinho is not trying to deliberately insult someone who for the first few months of his Liverpool career was the manager of Everton. Indeed, it is clear the 21-year-old is an artist of the game and not a student, preferring to illuminate with the ball at his feet. "I don't remember watching United win any cups," he says at one point. "I remember they won the Premier League last season. That is as far back as I know."

He was not born the last time United came to Anfield without Sir Alex Ferguson in charge, or just plain Alex Ferguson as he was then. Only four of the Liverpool team who maintained a 100% start to the season at Aston Villa last weekend were alive when Ron Atkinson's United secured a 1-1 draw at Anfield on 9 February 1986 – Kolo Touré, Daniel Agger, Glen Johnson and Steven Gerrard. The rest are from the generation who saw Liverpool knocked from their perch by Ferguson and, with him gone, Anfield hopes to witness a way back. It will not be easy, admits Coutinho, even against a United manager he has not heard of and who never won at Anfield in 11 years as Everton manager.

"I think United will carry on as usual because they have the same great players," says the Liverpool midfielder. "Only the manager is new and I'm sure they want to win as much as they ever did. They have big players. Just because they have changed managers does not mean they have lost their way. We want to make up for the time lost and want to get back at them and winning this match will help us do that. We feel exactly the same as they do about this game."

With another incendiary figure from the fixture's history absent on Sunday, the suspended Luis Suárez, Coutinho is central to Liverpool's prospects of a victory that could reverberate throughout their season. From his full debut in a 5-0 defeat of Swansea City, the £8.5m January recruit from Internazionale has brought greater purpose, invention and penetration to Liverpool's attacking play under Rodgers.

Coutinho was rich potential unfulfilled in Italy, where he made only 15 starts in Serie A following a much-heralded arrival as a 16-year-old from Vasco da Gama. He spent a season out on loan at Mauricio Pochettino's Espanyol. Today he is the riposte that Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group can present to criticism of their prudent transfer policy, and the manager's eye for a player after spending £25.5m on Joe Allen and Fabio Borini.

"I know the expectations are higher on me now because I've played more matches and done well," Coutinho says. "But I need to keep improving to make the supporters happy. I know I can improve. I know I have to be ready for every single ball, every pass, every challenge. Everything has to be at 100%. You can give no advantage to the opposition player and that's how I intend to approach this game against United.

"I've not had the chance to play United yet but from what I have been told about the history between the clubs, it's even more passionate and stronger than the Milan derby. Football is more disputed in England than it is in Italy. Every match is a very hard match because the referee doesn't blow his whistle as much as in Italy and every team plays against each other like it is a final. I enjoy it more in England because you have to think quicker. The pace of the game is faster so you don't have much time to think."

The Liverpool manager handed Coutinho the responsibility of the No10 shirt when he arrived in January and sees his future as the fulcrum of the team's attack, hence the desire to sign a left winger before Monday's transfer deadline. The one reservation over Coutinho so far has been the ability to impose himself against the stronger teams of the Premier League, with anonymous displays against Chelsea and Tottenham last season both ending in an early substitution.

He accepts the criticism. "I know that last season against Chelsea I did not do as well as I should but that's all in the past now," he says. "It's a new season and I think it will be different for me this time. That Chelsea game was very intense, all the players were close to each other and I found it hard to get into the rhythm of the game. Now I have had the experience, I know what to do to be prepared for matches like this and play better. That's what I aim to do."

The signings of Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge helped elevate Liverpool's form from January onwards last season, with the pair establishing an instant rapport that has demonstrated the Brazilian's ingenuity with a pass and the striker's accuracy with the finish. Despite a few problems with the language barrier, it is a relationship that also flourishes off the pitch.

"Daniel is an excellent player and always makes his runs at the right time," Coutinho says. "I think he's similar to a Brazilian player because he is so quick with the ball at his feet. He has the qualities to be a Brazilian player.

"We're always joking off the pitch and I keep telling him to learn Spanish or Portuguese because it would help me more. He is always looking to teach me things to help us combine better on the pitch, but in English. Last week he did it against Aston Villa and I told him to say it in Portuguese.

"Once Luis is back – and I think he is at the same level as Neymar – he and Daniel will help us a lot."

The whole pub burst out laughing at this! Coutinho barely even comes up to Nzonsis nipples!

Coutinho was absolutely class again yesterday though.

I can't believe we only paid 8.5 million for this kid! I have never seen a Liverpool player that can find and play perfect through balls as effortlessly as this guy does.

Dalglish.

I'm a bit worried about the lack of protection he has been getting off refs. He takes at least 3-4 heavy challenges per game.

Spot on. It resembles the way Milan Baros was treated while here. Centre backs had pretty much a free reign to kick him off the pitch.

I can guarantee either Ferdinand or Vidic (or both) will clatter him heavily within the first ten minutes of the game.

They don't really play with a "defensive midfielder", do they? So they are relying on Carrick's positional sense (which admittedly is very good) and Cleverly's energy to keep Phil in check, unless they change things tactically. If they play they same kind of system they played against Chelsea there will be spaces for Coutinho to work in, so the onus will be on the front three to get in behind.