You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

He's clearly very comfortable with the ball at his feet in tight spaces and he can beat a man. My biggest worry isn't his size or his slight build, it's his defensive duties. He might play centrally and if he does then it's nowhere near as big an issue. But if he plays out wide then he needs to get back and defend his flank. There were a number of times Swansea would have been two on one with the gun show if they had any sort of quality about them, which they didn't.

Early days yet though. He's a talented lad though, you can see that.

That defence splitting ball he played for sturridge in the first half was pure quality. Looked perfectly weighted but sturridge never fully accelerated for some reason.

Hopefully this lad can unlock defences on a regular basis.

That was a great moment that pass when Anfield realised we might have someone with the sort of vision for a first time ball that only Gerrard seems to possess in our ranks these days.

It was Kennyesque

He looks promising and I was impressed.

Its probably best not to get too excited based on what we've seen in 2 games, nor too depressed when he has a stinker. He's a talented young player that will still have to adapt to a new country and culture.

Sometimes over lauding someone like him is as bad as over criticising.

Henderson played an Alonso-esque ball through to Sturridge yesterday.

He did, my mate jumped up and said "that was henderson" and we all laughed and double checked

hopefully him doing things like that wont be quite such a shock in the future, i like him and want him to do well here.

He did, my mate jumped up and said "that was henderson" and we all laughed and double checked

Yesterday for the first time I saw Allen brush someone off the ball and drive forward with the ball.

My stream was a bit blurry though and when I looked again it was Henderson and not Allen.

Guest San Don
Lets wait and see if he's any good on a cold wet winters night away to Stoke before we all start sucking each others cocks, yeah...

Fuck off with that shite. The lad's just got here and you're rating him against the fucking seasoned players who never put up a show against stoke?

I really think he is going to be a great buy. The two we brought in this January are both going to turn out to be great pieces of business. As Lucas said he is a proper Brazilian and that is coming from a Brazilian. I do have to wonder, remember when Lucas was injured they said they were going to get him doing a bit of scouting... This may have been scouting from his TV I am not sure but I have a feeling he may have had a bit of an influence if it true he was given a task to look for an underpriced gem. Anyhows in 3 years time fingers crossed Careca's description of him as "the reincarnation of Zico" rings true. I have the highest of hopes for this fella. Two players with undoubted skill who were not getting good game time we have handed a great chance to, I think they will both take the bull by the horns.

He doesn't need to even play on a cold winters night at Stoke if we have a properly competitive squad. Besides would you want that type of player getting his leg broke? If he can put a great performance in at the theatre of delusions on a mild Sunday avo that's good. I wouldn't want Messi playing at Stoke on a cold winters night if we had him in fact I'd feel a bit ill...

Yea i thought so too, we just dont see downing try anything like that.

I think sterling has it in his locker (he played a great one on his England debut) but he is young and has lost abit of confidence

Henderson rarely plays balls like that (yet) so its nice to have a player with compsure and awareness

I think he will have games when he struggles as he adapts to the pace and physical side of the Prem, and then we will have guys coming into this thread saying his is shit

Cant wait

If he can keep this up and with Sturridge and Suarez it will be another headache for opposistion defences. Think it may also free up Stirling who has been found out and muscled out of games. Other teams will also try this against Philippe because of his size and if this doesn't work they'll try kicking lumps out of him. Can see us winning more free kicks in dangerous areas due to the pace and trickery being added to the team.

• 4 weeks later...

Pochettino reckons he's class.

I thought he was going to be too lightweight, and I feel ashamed. That said, it's still early days.

But, to be honest, he looks class at times. His workrate is what has really struck a chord with me, he's just in that Suarez class of work-rate. Same as Borini, just work, work, work.

screech_powers.jpg