You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

All these people saying "if they think he is worth it, spend the extra 2m". Isnt it that sort of attitude which has got us in trouble before?

If they think he is worth a certain amount, why pay more? Yes, he is promising, but we aren't talking a guaranteed product here. I think we should always be cautious in these negotiations. So what if Southampton will pay more? It doesn't reflect badly on us. If he wants to go there, let him. If he holds out for a move and Inter will sell, then we will get him.

Kind of. It was more like "if you think he is worth it, pay the extra £15m and if that doesn't work, lets invite them down here, get some lube and bend over" though.

All these people saying "if they think he is worth it, spend the extra 2m". Isnt it that sort of attitude which has got us in trouble before?

If they think he is worth a certain amount, why pay more? Yes, he is promising, but we aren't talking a guaranteed product here. I think we should always be cautious in these negotiations. So what if Southampton will pay more? It doesn't reflect badly on us. If he wants to go there, let him. If he holds out for a move and Inter will sell, then we will get him.

I'm not sure where going a couple of million over what we wanted for a transfer has got us into trouble, but if you think he is going to be a key player, then going a couple of million over what we value a player should not really be an issue, especially if it as a player the manager really wants. If there is a set budget then the manager should be able to spend it how he wants, if one goes a couple of million over, there is a couple of million less for the next player.

Also revenue is about to go up by about £30m a year due to new TV deal, so take it out of future budget.

I do think it is more of an issue if you are buying british though, as by going that extra couple of million, not only do you have the player, you stop a competitor having them as well.

It's not about just paying an extra 2 million to get a deal done. That will cost you on almost every deal in the future. People notice when you overpay for players. Have you not noticed that some clubs almost never get ripped off? It's because other clubs know how they operate. In fact, it's not too bad a thing to miss out on a deal altogether and have it known that it was because you felt it wasn't good value.

Guest ShoePiss

So we're making a stand and telling the competition we will not over pay, good.

We should start low bidding on players we don't want then backing out of the deals when they ask for more, that'll teach em.

Haggling over a million or 2 for this player is embarrassing, just get it done

Why spend £2 million more than you have to do so?

We are in no rush, the club are trying to get the best price possible.

Glad you aren't doing our negotiations.

Haggling over a million or 2 for this player is embarrassing' date=' just get it done, he looks as though he has it all there to be one of the best.

Even if it doesn't work out we wont take much of a hit when we flog him.[/quote']

Or we'll give him a decent salary, he flops and then we pay him £3m to go and play for a middling Ligue 1 club.

Amazing how quickly talk shifts from flushing unflushable turds to paying 'just a couple of million' over our valuation for a player.

What could possibly go wrong?

Guest ShoePiss
"@bbcmerseysport: Inter Milan have accepted Southampton's £10.2 million bid for Liverpool target Phillipe Coutinho. Will Liverpool match that bid ?"

Well with our new, new transfer plan we paid more than that for Borini and Allen so I don't see why not. Or has the plan changed again?

Edited by ShoePiss

Yeah I remember we had an initial £10m bid for Suarez. Ajax were laughing. We should have stayed there, it was a realistic valuation. We shouldn't have paid more.

Not saying we shouldn't pay more now.

We don't know if our has or hasn't been accepted do we?

I do like it how we are being more prudent with our money now days.

Barrett says we seem confident the deal will happen, he is about as reliable as it gets in terms of LFC.

Those people saying we should pay x amount and never go above that must not understand the word competition.

Sure, it'll work if we go for players that nobody else wants and clubs are happy to get rid of. Sounds majestic.

Paying an extra 2 million or so is not similar to paying £35m for a nobody. Do people think that we didn't increase our bids for Torres, Alonso, Suarez? Its fine to come in with a low offer but then you have to adjust to the reality of the situation. Is Coutinho worth £10m? Well, thats for Rodgers to decide.

Why exactly he is worth it at 8 and not 10 is a mystery, though. Its not like the figures are miles apart.

To be fair, Carroll for £33m or Downing for £18m would still have been, well....trouble is putting it mildly.

I see what you're saying and if Inter came back wanting us to double our offer we should give them the finger. But an extra couple of million, well it depends how much Brendan wants him I guess. Which is why I'm always a fan of a manager at least having input into negotiations, even if not conducting them personally, rather than being a head coach having players handed to him, or even saying to a DoF 'go and get him' and waiting for the result.

Those people saying we should pay x amount and never go above that must not understand the word competition.

Sure, it'll work if we go for players that nobody else wants and clubs are happy to get rid of. Sounds majestic.

Paying an extra 2 million or so is not similar to paying £35m for a nobody. Do people think that we didn't increase our bids for Torres, Alonso, Suarez? Its fine to come in with a low offer but then you have to adjust to the reality of the situation. Is Coutinho worth £10m? Well, thats for Rodgers to decide.

Why exactly he is worth it at 8 and not 10 is a mystery, though. Its not like the figures are miles apart.

Well I'm not saying don't increase our bid.

My understanding is we have offered £8 million and feel confident that will be accepted. If it isn't then we review it and maybe bid more.

It is easy to say we should bid more for players, but then we are the first to moan for over paying for players.

I personally would pay more for Coutinho, as I think he has great potential. But we have to pay what we feel as a club he is worth or could be worth in the future.

We also need to send a message out that we are not easy targets in the market, I think we showed that with Sigurdsson, who is hindsight looks like we did well to avoid that deal as he isn't doing much at Spurs.

Let's just be patient. Barrett says the club feel confident we will get him, so let's hope we do and the cheaper the better.