You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

I said they weren't that arsed about it. They may have strong enough squads to compete for the PL and CL titles but I suspect if they had to, they'd take the CL. Last year, when Ferguson had a chance to close out the PL he put the best side he had on the pitch, this with a Cl game on Weds.

As for Rafa - don't you remember losing 3-1 to Reading? I remember him saying that he was here awhile before he understood what winning the league meant to fans.

I'd wager that that was the FA Cup, not the League.

what was the look that Ashley Young gave Moyes?

and yes, I may be a "madman" but ask again, can you see Moyes winning the PL or CL title.

What if Mourinho got the job, bought Ronaldo and won the CL 3 times in the next 6 years with a few PL titles, do you think the drunk bastard would be remembered as fondly?

neither do I.

what was the look that Ashley Young gave Moyes?

and yes, I may be a "madman" but ask again, can you see Moyes winning the PL or CL title.

What if Mourinho got the job, bought Ronaldo and won the CL 3 times in the next 6 years with a few PL titles, do you think the drunk bastard would be remembered as fondly?

neither do I.

I think Ferguson's legacy at Utd is written in stone (or whatever that statue of him is made from). Just as Shankly will be remembered long after we're gone, so will Fergie. If you think about it, Paisley was more successful than Shankly, and both are remembered fondly. I don't think he chose Moyes because he was afraid of someone surpassing him. I think they passed on Mourinho because he wasn't a 'United' man, with Guardiola being first choice.

Of course Ferguson cares more about his own success/legacy than seeing Man Utd do well. He's the biggest fucking narcissist on the planet. I mean what reason would he have for choosing Moyes, other than cementing his reputation? It's patently obvious to anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together that he's going to be a complete failure.

That silly old cunt ferguson was a brilliant manager. We know that. Now he's appointed some inexperienced cunt as manager. This could be the worst transfer in legacy. Only time will tell. All I know is that never write off those bunch of cunts from winning something. Moyes may find his feet and become another legend. But by te look that Ashley Young was giving him during our game suggests he hasn't got the Fergie factor.

it took taggart, to give him his real name, 4/5 years to achieve anything.. was on the verge of being sacked.. lucky barsteward.. you cant say gollum is inexperienced after all those years at woodison.but he will NOT succeed...

I would say he chose him becuase he's his mate' date=' Scottish, is considered a man of integrity, people think he deserved a chance at a big club, etc. I doubt it was anything to do with Ferguson protecting himself. I just think he'd be more drawn to someone like Moyes than a foreign type with a big profile.[/quote']

Yeah, but Ferguson isn't an idiot. He knows there's virtually 0% chance of Moyes ever doing anything meaningful in the game. I see no reason to stick him in a job that is way above his station, especially if he's a mate. Moyes will be a husk of a man by the end of this job.

There's no fucking way Ferguson looked at all the potential managers to carry on his success and stuck on Moyes.

I don't believe in the whole idea he didnt want somebody to upstage him. I think its more than likely many managers didnt want to follow ferguson. I don't think moyes would of got the job if he weren't so far up fergusons arse I think being Scottish has something to do with it aswell. Moyes is a man ferguson knows he will have some control of when he comes back on the scene in the background. Its ridiculous to completely rewrite moyes off too this early. Last season we had the worst start in over 100 years even worse than the owl, you can't predict shit from it.

Was Moyes the best candidate for the job?

Not a chance.

Was he Ferguson's choice?

Probably not, but probably not far off his top pick.

Was he Charlton's choice?

Maybe more so.

I think they didn't want a celebrity foreign manager because they want stability over a decade or more, they don't want to ride the next vogue manager every 3 or 4 years before they decide to fuck off back to Spain/Germany/Italy wherever.

I want them to sink like a stone, i don't buy into this "i hope he doesn't fuck up too much because he'll be out by christmas" malarky, i want Moyes to lose every single game and be an absolute abject failure. It's about time they had their Hodgson, I remember them giving it loads about our supposed "terrible" treatment of Roy, watch this lot circle like rabid dog's as soon as he loses a few games.

I want them to sink like a stone' date=' i don't buy into this "i hope he doesn't fuck up too much because he'll be out by christmas" malarky, i want Moyes to lose every single game and be an absolute abject failure. It's about time they had their Hodgson, I remember them giving it loads about our supposed "terrible" treatment of Roy, watch this lot circle like rabid dog's as soon as he loses a few games.[/quote']

I agree with this.

Was Moyes the best candidate for the job?

Not a chance.

Was he Ferguson's choice?

Probably not, but probably not far off his top pick.

Was he Charlton's choice?

Maybe more so.

I think they didn't want a celebrity foreign manager because they want stability over a decade or more, they don't want to ride the next vogue manager every 3 or 4 years before they decide to fuck off back to Spain/Germany/Italy wherever.

The celebrity club do not want a celebrity manager, of course they do, Maureen at the mancs would be gold, and the mancs would hype the shit out of it.

Is it a possibility that Ferguson knew that no big name manager would work under the financial constraints he had to operate under himself for the last few seasons, and went for Moyes as he believed he could keep the ship afloat for the next few years without moaning too much about lack of funds?

I might be looking a deep into this but I think Moyes is the timeout candidate prior to being shoved for Giggs to turn up to save the day.

Anyone coming in after purple was gonna struggle,anyone.

The club wouldn't want to put that pressure on Giggs straight off. Bring a decent manager in,someone familiar in background to early Fergie.

If he does well happy days. If he struggles,as he no doubt will then thanks David but you just never got the Utd way.Their dog fans will be made up when family Guy Giggs turns up to replace Moyes,not Ferguson.

The payout won't cost much as they never had to give the toffs any buy out due to Utd telling him not to sign a contract this time last season.

Or maybe not.

I don't see him winning anything much there. He won't win the league. He might win a domestic cup. He definitely won't win anything in Europe unless he gets every possible break like Di Matteo did with Chelsea.

I think if they make the top 4 they will give him one more season. If not he will gone, no question.

I'm just delighted and relived that they didn't go for Jurgen Klopp.

He has worked genuine miracles at Dortmund in transforming them, it's ten times better than the job Moyes did at Everton.

He also raves about Kagawa, and would have made him a focal point of the attack, unlike Moyes who has completely left him out so far!

Klopp also would most likely have taken a couple of Dortmunds stars with him, and I think he'd have had a much better pull in getting good European players in.

I don't see him winning anything much there. He won't win the league. He might win a domestic cup. He definitely won't win anything in Europe unless he gets every possible break like Di Matteo did with Chelsea.

I think if they make the top 4 they will give him one more season. If not he will gone, no question.

I said yesterday at work that it's not unthinkable that United won't make the top four and I got laughed out the building!

At United now, I see a lot of similarities with ourselves over the past 4 or 5 years.

1.Owners that don't have the clubs best interests at heart, and aren't providing the kind of sums of money that should be available. Crucially they are not making big name signings, whilst most of their rivals are.

2. Changing the manager. Swapping from Ferguson to Moyes is very similar to us Swapping Benitez for Hodgson.

3. Indecisiveness and failing in the transfer market. The United transfer deadline last day fiasco was much like us 12 months ago.

I know that despite all this, it is still highly unlikely that they would drop right out the top four, but bear in mind that we dropped from second to 6th/7th and also Chelsea missed out on a top four spot in 2011/12. It's not completely out of the question with six teams realistically eyeing four places.

I noticed also today that a few media rags had printed stories about Van Persie not taking to Moyes. Now I don't think these are the most reliable of sources, but it's good to see these sort of things regardless.

Strangely though I don't want Moyes to fuck it all up straight away. I'd prefer a long slow drag towards mediocrity. I also think that this is the most likely scenario for David Moyes boys.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

RVP earlier speaking to Dutch TV, saying he was "confused why Moyes is manager" and he "misses Sir Alex". #MUFC #AFC pic.twitter.com/oCdSlRthTR

Any idea if that actually happened?