You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

He lost about 3 games too many.  That's all we needed - 3 losses to turn into a win and 2 draws and he could have been there for years.  Shame he was too much of a useless turd. 

In the context of a 38 game season (or 34 in his case), three extra wins is quite a lot. They were outrageously lucky in a lot of away games, to the point that finishing 7th seriously flattered them. There are no circumstances where Gollum could have survived.

• Upvote 1

the biggest testament to how shite he was for them is the fact that whilst our 4:1 stuffing of them a few years ago will go to my grave with me, us dry bumming them 3 nil (could have been 6) last season with such ease isn't even in my top 50 favourite results. I haven't had a single wank over that fixture. 

• Upvote 3

I've liked Martinez for a while and wouldn't have been horrified had he got the role with us; I thought he'd do a good job with the bitters.  He's given them a real boost, bringing an attitude, a style and a freshness which will serve them well in the coming years.

Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and it remains to be seen if he can deliver silverware, consecutive kind-of-credible league finishes, reach the Champions League, continue to attract better players when they have to actually be paid for and commit permanently, etc etc.  But, he has absolutely washed away the defeatist, on rails, predictable to write off mentality they had under Gollum; doffing their cap to the big boys and accepting their lot, and will surely be more of a future danger than they would have continued to be under that fucking ghost.

So, my question is thus.  If Van Gaal gets them back to normality this season, would him going there and all the comedy that ensued have been worth it, if it came at the cost of making Everton a more live threat but delivered merely it's own short reward?

For me, that answer is a stone cold solid yes.  I just wish we could do it all again.

• Upvote 2

Liz - if they both finish above us this season I can guarantee you will not feel that way.

They wont, though. All this Van Gaal being a miracle worker is a myth. Good manager, but he's not going to somehow turn a side with that bad of a back 4 and midfield into a challenging team. 

All this 'they'll be an improvement on last year' is pointless too. Nothing was ever going to be as bad as last year for them.

They wont, though. All this Van Gaal being a miracle worker is a myth. Good manager, but he's not going to somehow turn a side with that bad of a back 4 and midfield into a challenging team.

All this 'they'll be an improvement on last year' is pointless too. Nothing was ever going to be as bad as last year for them.

Yep, Moyes was all about lowering expectations. Anything better than last season will now seem like a success.

We all knew that Moyes would find a way to fuck them up, but the fact that he went and did too hasty a job is a big regret. He needed to keep them on a slow downward spiral filled with hope that gets snatched away in the cruellest (if you're a Man Utd fan) or funniest (everyone else) manner imaginable. Whether Van Gaal turns them around to something approaching what they were prior to last season is unknown as of yet, but what isn't in doubt is that he does everything with a stubborn conviction borne out of believing he is right and everyone else has got it wrong.

Moyes would have given it a helluva go.

I dont think he would have. They would have signed the same players regardless (Herrera and Shaw were his targets). 

The only thing I will say is that they have a piss easy start so they can gather momentum but at the moment they have no fit fullbacks and 2 fit centre backs for Saturday for his so called 5 at the back system. 

I've liked Martinez for a while and wouldn't have been horrified had he got the role with us; I thought he'd do a good job with the bitters.  He's given them a real boost, bringing an attitude, a style and a freshness which will serve them well in the coming years.

Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and it remains to be seen if he can deliver silverware, consecutive kind-of-credible league finishes, reach the Champions League, continue to attract better players when they have to actually be paid for and commit permanently, etc etc.  But, he has absolutely washed away the defeatist, on rails, predictable to write off mentality they had under Gollum; doffing their cap to the big boys and accepting their lot, and will surely be more of a future danger than they would have continued to be under that fucking ghost.

So, my question is thus.  If Van Gaal gets them back to normality this season, would him going there and all the comedy that ensued have been worth it, if it came at the cost of making Everton a more live threat but delivered merely it's own short reward?

For me, that answer is a stone cold solid yes.  I just wish we could do it all again.

Repped for getting "proof of the pudding" right unlike many useless tits who think its "proof is in the pudding"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No Europe will be a massive boost to them like it was us. They'll challenge for the title with their current squad even though it's nothing to really shout about, purely because they've got a top manager who'll get them playing. I'm just hoping him and Rooney come to blows or something. 

Wish the fuckers got Europa League. They'd have had a hard time making top 4 if they had.

No Europe will be a massive boost to them like it was us. They'll challenge for the title with their current squad even though it's nothing to really shout about, purely because they've got a top manager who'll get them playing. I'm just hoping him and Rooney come to blows or something. 

Wish the fuckers got Europa League. They'd have had a hard time making top 4 if they had.

No Europe means fuck all. It's not that simple. Only 3 teams in the last 20 years have gotten Champions League Football without European Football that season. Us last year, Everton in 05 and Spurs in 2010. 

• Upvote 1

Would Moyes take a job at West Ham, Villa or Newcastle as I'm pretty sure it will be Allardyce, Lambert or Pardew who's first for the chop. Probably September time.

Lambert and Allardyce are good shouts, but I think Pardew is relatively safe as he's on a long contract and happy to watch Ashley sell whoever he wants to.