You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone's having a real laugh - gollum?

Guest San Don

I'd be worried if my team had won the league the season before, PLUMMETED to 7th in the season just gone (including a sacking of a manager in there) and yet the new manager is forced to keep his eye on the biggest trophy in world sport rather than my team's progress until only a few weeks before the season.

Their arrogance is shocking, i can throughly envisage Giggs doing that, and Neville being the nodding lapdog in that situation. The problem is they are all like that. If you venture over to Redcafe they are a shoe in for top 3 next year and we'll finish between 5th and 7th, we'll just miraculously fall away, no reason why, but it's a mathematical certainty.

I saw this too.  I have to say I was quite taken aback by the level of delusion/arrogance/optimism call it what you will on display.  They have a thread entitled "whose place will we take in the top 4"?  A minority are saying it won't be easy to get back in the top 4, some are saying Arsenal will fall away but the majority think they'll get there at our expense...  Why?

It's hard to say anything for sure before the window is closed, given all that it could entail for us and them.  Maybe when the window's shut, if we lost Luis, had another summer of signing gash and they hoover up some world-class talent, then yes, you could maybe make a case for them finishing above us, but right now, you'd have to be a fruit loop to come to that conclusion.

• Upvote 1

I saw this too. I have to say I was quite taken aback by the level of delusion/arrogance/optimism call it what you will on display. They have a thread entitled "whose place will we take in the top 4"? A minority are saying it won't be easy to get back in the top 4, some are saying Arsenal will fall away but the majority think they'll get there at our expense... Why?

It's hard to say anything for sure before the window is closed, given all that it could entail for us and them. Maybe when the window's shut, if we lost Luis, had another summer of signing gash and they hoover up some world-class talent, then yes, you could maybe make a case for them finishing above us, but right now, you'd have to be a fruit loop to come to that conclusion.

I call it 'The Middlesbrough Syndrome'

Back in the day, and it's actually not that long ago, when Middlesbrough were still in the Premier League there came a day at the end of July, as dependable as Arsenal's springtime collapse or England's Golden Generation, where Middlesbrough fans genuinely thought they were going to challenge.

It's human nature, we all start the season level on zero points.

Just the thought experiment of what would happen if Giggs tried that "he's not a United player" to Louis van Gaal is enough to show you why that is a terrible situation that should never have been allowed by the ownership.

Van Gaal is not going to be interested in "showing Ryan the ropes" so that he can be ready to get him run out of the club the first time they take only 5 points from 5 games.  So why is Giggs even there?  He's not going to be improving as a manager, learning valuable things about how to run the club the way he would if he took a job managing a small club.  But he can't do that, because it could easily go badly and make him look like Solskjaer or Keane or any of the rest of their lot who failed as managers.  Instead, Ferguson has finagled him a position where he can't take any blame for anything that goes wrong and can take partial credit for anything that goes right.  It's hilarious, and it will only end in tears.

Their arrogance is shocking, i can throughly envisage Giggs doing that, and Neville being the nodding lapdog in that situation. The problem is they are all like that. If you venture over to Redcafe they are a shoe in for top 3 next year and we'll finish between 5th and 7th, we'll just miraculously fall away, no reason why, but it's a mathematical certainty.

Then someone mentions Benitez in the top 10 managers in world football and they all go mental, who's better? Mazzari apparently, although he's won one Copa Italia in his entire career....manc logic. Manc logic also dictates Suarez isn't a top player because 52% of his goals came against the bottom 6 sides by all accounts. Manc logic that Janazaj is a better player than Raheem Sterling because it was his first year, and judging by Sterling's first year, Janazaj was more impressive....was he? Don't think so, anyway....

Never get in the way of Manc logic, it's told us that Moyes would carry on in Fergie's footsteps, Giggs would be the new Guardiola, Cleverly is miles better than Henderson and also that Welbeck is light years ahead of Daniel Sturridge in terms of development. 

Their overinflated sense of self worth will be their downfall, and that Giggs speech about Kroos is a perfect personification of that.

As things stand, all we know is that Liverpool performed much better than United did, and there's been no transfer activity so far.

Even if there was, there's no real way to measure the effect of that, or of Van Gaal's arrival. so surely the most sensible philosophy would be to say 'we start as we finished' and work from there.

It's madness for United fans to predict anything until we see how Liverpool and United actually start the new season, and even then, we only get a fair idea by xmas (with a lot of scope for change).

I wish predicting football WAS that easy. We'd all be milionaires!

• 2 weeks later...

David Moyes: Ex-Man Utd boss wants Champions League club

Former Manchester United manager David Moyes is targeting a return to management - with a club competing in the Champions League.

The 51-year-old ex-Everton boss was dismissed after 10 months at Old Trafford and revealed he has already turned down two offers.

"I got my first real taste of the Champions League this year," Moyes told the Guardian. 

"I thought I showed I can manage at that level as well."

The Scot spent 11 years at Goodison Park, having started his coaching career in the Football League with Preston North End.

But Moyes would consider offers from abroad.

"I'll use United as an important experience in my managerial career. I feel I needed more time but I'll use it to benefit me and help me in the coming jobs," Moyes said.

"I've had a couple of opportunities to go back in and chosen not to.

"I'd like to look towards getting somewhere that would give me a chance of being in the Champions League or a club that has ambitions of being in the Champions League.

"It could be at home or abroad. I've always liked the thought of broadening my horizons and learning a bit more."

Moyes is currently on holiday in the United States and watched England's match against Ecuador in Miami on Wednesday.

He believes Wayne Rooney must be central to England's plans at the World Cup in Brazil - and revealed the Manchester United striker has been in contact since his sacking.

"I've spoken to Wayne a few times since I left and he has been very supportive," said Moyes, who also managed Rooney at Everton. "Wayne was terrific for me.

"When I look at England I think he has to play. He has the ability to score. He has the mental strength to handle the games.

"In those games you look to your big players and Wayne will be a big player for England."